Game thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game thoughts

If "not 10 ***** games" has ever been accurate for any one player, it's definitely true for Frank this year.

You can say that about ty too. We have two guards, so without either, wed be screwed!!!

Oklahoma has Trae Young, and they went 1-7 for Feb. He’s likely a Top 5 NBA draft pick, and they’ve been a dumpster fire for the past 6 weeks now.

Even the best PG’s can’t do it all alone.

Hence my last sentence.

Frank stopped turning the ball over, which is huge. He got to play through his mistakes. If we had better players down low, imagine hed have a ton more assists.

If "not 10 ***** games" has ever been accurate for any one player, it's definitely true for Frank this year.
It was true when the original quote was made

Hence my last sentence.

Frank stopped turning the ball over, which is huge. He got to play through his mistakes. If we had better players down low, imagine hed have a ton more assists.

“Hence your last sentence” - but you still
cant give him any credit because our O is so bad? But it’s not on Frank?

You literally contradict yourself.

I know JB has been yelling at Moyer and there was the whole “he can’t play due to injury” drama, but surely Moyer knows that he needs to develop and that he should be a very good four year player for us? I hope he doesn’t become that discouraged.

JB is a lot softer with Moyer than with others (Frank, Taurean, back to Fab and many others). Matt’s body language doesn’t look good though. I wonder if the thing with the parents telling him not to play created a rift for him.

“Hence your last sentence” - but you still
cant give him any credit because our O is so bad? But it’s not on Frank?

You literally contradict yourself.

Youre whacked, i said its hard for me to compliment when the offense hes running struggles so hard. Despite that, i then complimented him in the post you are replying to. Not sure why youre on my case.

An anaology to further clarify my point. I obviously dislike georgetown but i respected the way jeff green or an otto porter played the college game. Hates me to compliment a georgetown player but would gladly have taken those guys at cuse

If Moyer leaves, it's because he's likely looking at a reduced role here next season. If he opts to stick it out, he will have the opportunity to play a significant role here as a junior and senior. I'm guessing (and hoping) he stays.
If he plays a significant role we are in trouble.

I call this sort of thing "binocular psychoanalysis". Looking at the bench from a distance and determining how a player and coach feel about each other.

Try tv psychoanalysis. Ill try to upload a clip for you so you can experience it too

its hard to know what to think. moyer just isn't good. another year in the program make him better? doubt it. but who is returning? if we get brissett and dolezaj back in theory with bazely we are set. not sure where moyer fits at this point

Hence my last sentence.

I thought we looked better when Tyus handled the ball more in the 2H. And he handled it quite a bit. Frank made some shots but he wasn’t doing anything as a PG. Tyus was getting downhill and playing more assertive.

Yeah, agree with your initial thoughts. I just finished watching it. BIG win. Great defensive effort. LOVED the activity from Chukwu. Oshae had a great all around game and Marek brought a lot of energy and made some plays.

Was disappointed when Clemson had a 10 minute FG drought but had the lead late in the 1H...amazing. I don’t know about Clemson. They sure like a 5/6/7 seed who is gonna get bounced first round in the Tourney.

Yeah, Moyer I can see leaving. At one point Boeheim really grabbed his arm/hand hard on the bench trying to get his attention. I think it was right after when he took him out for that missed rebound off the FT when Clemson got it back. Moyer was so disengaged. Awkward.

Last edited:
Oklahoma has Trae Young, and they went 1-7 for Feb. He’s likely a Top 5 NBA draft pick, and they’ve been a dumpster fire for the past 6 weeks now.

Even the best PG’s can’t do it all alone.

He's not top five. no way.

A few comments after re-watching the game. Moyer's body language when he got the first hook was almost deflated. He played OK to that point with a nice hustle board and block. He then slightly bumped a guy after he released a 3 who promptly flopped for a foul call... after that he seemed disengaged, not enthusiastic on the side-line... hope he can get up for the ACC tournament, gonna need him to bring some energy.

next, it was refreshing not to give up corner threes in critical junctures of the game. that one in the last couple minutes was almost a dagger, but glad it didn't drop.

Hey we out-rebounded them with two hobbled centers no less! The hustle we showed today was tremendous... we had a ton of offensive boards!

The one thing that irked me was the high pick n role. Which has been discussed to death I know, but is it me or does Chewy almost never set a pick? He almost routinely slips it and dives to the rim, but with his head down not even looking for a pass. The clemson guy who was on Chewy just doubled either frank or tyus, which makes us start our offense like 30 feet out with half the shot clock gone. We won, so water under the bridge but either Chewy needs to set the pick or needs his head up so he can at least be in a position to get a pass.

All in all great to end the home season with a solid victory! We at least have hope going into NY and after that BC debacle it wasn't looking good. Loved seeing Moten with the fist pump (one of my favorite players) to wallace, to seeing Jimmy smile and exhale after the W. Let's shock the world next week and get in the big dance!!

Forward minutes will likely be hard to come by next season for Moyer. Not so much in 2019-20 and 2020-21 if he chooses to stick around.

I thought we looked better when Tyus handled the ball more in the 2H. And he handled it quite a bit. Frank made some shots but he wasn’t doing anything as a PG. Tyus was getting downhill and playing more assertive.

Yeah, agree with your initial thoughts. I just finished watching it. BIG win. Great defensive effort. LOVED the activity from Chukwu. Oshae had a great all around game and Marek brought a lot of energy and made some plays.

Was disappointed when Clemson had a 10 minute FG drought but had the lead late in the 1H...amazing. I don’t know about Clemson. They sure like a 5/6/7 seed who is gonna get bounced first round in the Tourney.

Yeah, Moyer I can see leaving. At one point Boeheim really grabbed his arm/hand hard on the bench trying to get his attention. I think it was when he took him out for that missed rebound off the FT when Clemson got it back. Awkward.

I saw the grab too. Bob knight flashed in my head.

I call this sort of thing "binocular psychoanalysis". Looking at the bench from a distance and determining how a player and coach feel about each other.

Check ok sobecuse post above re: grabbing moyers arm. Thats one of the clips worth checking out.

Last edited:
I saw the grab too. Bob knight flashed in my head.

That was a long ways from Bob Knight. I hardly thought it was forceful.

As the old saying goes, Bob Knight is in the eye of the beholder.

Forward minutes will likely be hard to come by next season for Moyer. Not so much in 2019-20 and 2020-21 if he chooses to stick around.
In theory, but if we're truly becoming Syracuse again, post-sanctions, we should be in on 2 highly rated forwards to replace Bazley/Brissett.

In theory, but if we're truly becoming Syracuse again, post-sanctions, we should be in on 2 highly rated forwards to replace Bazley/Brissett.
Probably not two instant starters who would gobble up most of the forward minutes, though, so there would seem to a place for a guy like Moyer. Perhaps he could even see some time at center, too.

Probably not two instant starters who would gobble up most of the forward minutes, though, so there would seem to a place for a guy like Moyer. Perhaps he could even see some time at center, too.
I'd have to imagine he will be able to shoot a decent 3 ball in two years but he also redshirted and looks like he's never played basketball at times so...

We aren't on a scholly reduction so there's no reason for him to get pushed out if he wants to stay as depth, but he's going to have to work his *** off if he ever wants to see meaningful minutes here.

I hope the staff has learned that you just cannot recruit non-shooters at this level anymore. We don't need all Tyler Lydons at PF/C but your 4 has to be able to shoot the ball. We don't have any stretch 5's lined up in the foreseeable future on the recruiting trail so any PF's in the game have to be able to step out and pull the trigger.

Long way from bob knight, yes. Id prefer a no contact rule though. It looked awkward

Check ok sobecuse post above re: grabbing moyers arm. Thats one of the clips worth checking out.

A year ago Frank Howard was gone because everybody hated him.

Not sure the relevancy...

Both are long-distance analysis based on limited information.

Consider this quote from Lawrence Moten from an article linked in the "Poetry" thread:

“One of the things I loved about Coach Boeheim is he knew how to punch buttons, whether to yell or not at certain players and how to deal with certain emotions,” Moten said.

Also consider that Moyer has been compared to Roberson, who seemingly took plenty of abuse from JB but was here for four years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom