Garrett Shrader | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

Right on IMO as well. The fact that OU's head coach made such an egregious omission in regards to being aware/so ill prepared for Tucker and the running game speaks for itself. When well coached teams prepare better for our O, that's when the proof will be in the pudding in regards to TD. And, if he's actually made any real improvement in his ability to check down off his primary target(s), etc. This weekend's game against Rutgers will go a long way in getting a better feeling in that regard IMO.
I’m not sure this was an omission, it’s how every team beat cuse last year. Drop everyone in coverage and stop the run/get to the QB with only 4 guys. No one has loaded the box against Cuse jn two years and I’d argue it’s why the offense has been so inept. I’m hoping schiano makes the same mistake of assuming this oline is the same as last year, and it was successful Bc it was Ohio. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tucker had chances early.

I’m not sure this was an omission, it’s how every team beat cuse last year. Drop everyone in coverage and stop the run/get to the QB with only 4 guys. No one has loaded the box against Cuse jn two years and I’d argue it’s why the offense has been so inept. I’m hoping schiano makes the same mistake of assuming this oline is the same as last year, and it was successful Bc it was Ohio. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tucker had chances early.

That's what teams can do when they dare teams to beat them with the pass, ESPECIALLY when they don't believe that the opponent can make them pay. Last year, our OL stunk, and the pass blocking was a sieve, so they could get pressure bringing just 4.

We'll see Saturday whether that's been remediated.

Last edited:
They will stack the box and bring the heat all game on D. If TD cannot get the ball out quickly and accurately, I fear it's going to be a long afternoon.

Its a gunslinger defensive style (that I personally like) but it brings it own set of heavy risks. Schady will also have to press coverage to try and mitigate getting the ball out quickly. If the line can adequately pass block then it'll be a long afternoon for them. I would expect we'll see some slants and some WR screens. Making one guy miss against this type of defense can go for big chunk gains.

and of course...we're going to pound Tucker to do some damage on the ground. If we can run against a flooded box then it changes everything. If they don't flood the box and drop into coverage like everyone did last year then Tucker is going to hurt them.

Shrader might get some early run simply because of his legs in the RPO game. When you have to key on Tucker but the QB pulls it down and picks up 8 around the end it puts the D on it's heels for sure.

Tommy isn’t as shifty or as natural running, but he might be faster than Shrader. If both can run and pass, it really creates a lot for defenses to prepare for.

I’m really glad it appears we won’t have a “running QB” and a “passing QB”… 2 capable guys that can run the offense is better IMO

Faster? Don't know about that. Shrader was switched to WR at his previous stop. I think it's just a matter of patience. He hasn't been here very long. DeVito is not who we thought he'd be but he knows the offense and can play it safe at least. Less upside but maybe also less downside at this stage. Shrader is the likely future so bring him along slow and steady. I think if the line holds up and Tucker keeps grinding out yards, we'll see more of Shrader in an attempt to ready him for starting next year.

Faster? Don't know about that. Shrader was switched to WR at his previous stop. I think it's just a matter of patience. He hasn't been here very long. DeVito is not who we thought he'd be but he knows the offense and can play it safe at least. Less upside but maybe also less downside at this stage. Shrader is the likely future so bring him along slow and steady. I think if the line holds up and Tucker keeps grinding out yards, we'll see more of Shrader in an attempt to ready him for starting next year.
Shrader is the better runner. That doesn’t mean he’s faster.

Yup There is going to be an opportunity to hit some big plays in the passing game I think. I think if Syracuse can limit the production from Fatukasi, Rutgers' stud LB, they should win the game. Fatukasi can single-handily wreck games though. OLine needs to get a body on him at all times.
Rutgers entire defensive strategy last season was to sit in a 4-2-5 and blitz heavy from the edges with DBs. They really try to force the offense to attack the middle where Fatukasi is waiting. Rutgers has more trouble defending lateral runs than inside zone stuff

Rutgers entire defensive strategy last season was to sit in a 4-2-5 and blitz heavy from the edges with DBs. They really try to force the offense to attack the middle where Fatukasi is waiting. Rutgers has more trouble defending lateral runs than inside zone stuff

They were blitzing that kid against Temple no ?

Last edited:
Kid is a stud. Great description of their defense.

Can't wait to hear the chorus when we do see Shrader and he's not as accurate as TD.

DeVito's best quality is his accuracy. Lots of holes in his game but doesn't miss his targets.

DeVito's best quality is his accuracy. Lots of holes in his game but doesn't miss his targets.

Combined we'd probably have an All American. When Shrader air mails one or throws behind a guy the groans will be loud and then it'll be on to Morgan.

Can't wait to hear the chorus when we do see Shrader and he's not as accurate as TD.

He's very much like Dungey - including the occasional accuracy issues, and somewhat reckless decision making.

Definitely more elusive as a QB AND runner, whereas Tommy, while pretty fast (in a straight line), is more just serviceable as a running QB.

That said, it's time for our monthly installment of everybody's favorite online game:
FAT PIRATE PUT UP VIDEO GAME NUMBERS IN DINO'S OFFENSE, while not being a legit running threat.

IF we're getting just average, competent OL play and run game, we don't *need* a dual-threat running QB.
(but it's a nice bonus to have)

Isn't that what every single one of us expects to be the case?

The MLB had 3 sacks so they must have been sending him. I didn't watch the game though.
Its gonna be a game where not turning the ball over will be a big deal.. Rutgers is gonna run blitz. I havent gone back to look at how much ohio did of it to really see how the oline played. but we need to handle it enough that we pop a few thru to the 2nd level or its gonna be a long day.

He's very much like Dungey - including the occasional accuracy issues, and somewhat reckless decision making.

Definitely more elusive as a QB AND runner, whereas Tommy, while pretty fast (in a straight line), is more just serviceable as a running QB.

That said, it's time for our monthly installment of everybody's favorite online game:
FAT PIRATE PUT UP VIDEO GAME NUMBERS IN DINO'S OFFENSE, while not being a legit running threat.

IF we're getting just average, competent OL play and run game, we don't *need* a dual-threat running QB.
(but it's a nice bonus to have)
The dual threat helps to make up for some of the issues you mention in your first line. Also, staying too long in the pocket and trying to extend passing plays against better judgement. But it also leads to an injured QB too which we saw with Dungey way too many times.

Have you ever seen anyone do less when the play devolves? He devolves it himself
Prolly from taking 500 sacks. Seemed panicky last 2 years. No running game, bad OL, everyone out in coverage will mess up anyone.

Dino may have painted himself into a corner saying both will play. So he will probably put GS on the field before garbage time (in a game that likely won't have garbage time).

I think it's risky, but as long as we win this weekend, I don't care how we do it.

I'm just glad that if we do ultimately face a QB injury (as we've done every single year) we don't have to rely on a backup who, how can I put this nicely, wouldn't get a sniff on any other ACC roster.

Have you ever seen anyone do less when the play devolves? He devolves it himself
Look- a lot of us want to see what Shrader can do. With that said you aren't making your case when everyone watched the Ohio game. 3 of TD's 11 completions he stepped up into the pocket and evaded pressure and delivered a nice pass. The rest of the game he made almost every read properly in the RPO absent a couple. He got sacked once and failed to handle the pressure well once. Just repeating stuff from 2019/2020 isn't making your point.

It was a great start for TD on the mental side. We will see how much he has grown this next game but Adios with this take. One game, one of the best he has played as the leader of the offensive to date.

I don't care about accuracy I want somebody who can just make plays. Tommy is perhaps the worst playmaker we've ever had at QB

He made some plays last weekend. Two scrambles I recall, once moving to his left on 1st down he bobbed and weaved and threw a 7 yard strike to Sharod on the sideline (this was a good play by him) and the 2nd he scrambled to his right on 3rd-7 for a 1st down pass to Queeley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom