Garrett Shrader | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

The dual threat helps to make up for some of the issues you mention in your first line. Also, staying too long in the pocket and trying to extend passing plays against better judgement. But it also leads to an injured QB too which we saw with Dungey way too many times.

The one thing TD doesn't do much of that I'd really like to see is for him to step up in the pocket north/south, I could be wrong but his tendency I think is to go east/west, and generally east.

The one thing TD doesn't do much of that I'd really like to see is for him to step up in the pocket north/south, I could be wrong but his tendency I think is to go east/west, and generally east.

Yep. He did step up a couple times but quickly got outside the pocket after that before really even surveying.

The MLB had 3 sacks so they must have been sending him. I didn't watch the game though.
Or he was staying home and cleaning up from edge blitzes. Tommy’s gotta see those quickly. It’s not Tommy’s way to step down into the pocket, though, so we’ll see.

frankly I think most of the hate for Tommy comes due to the fact his father was here and loud for the last 2 years. GS hasn’t proved anything either yet people are acting like his is a sure fire winner and won’t make any mistakes

I always want a dual threat QB at Cuse, so I'm biased.

I felt like Dino was playing not to lose in the game against Ohio once we got up. I get it, we just won one game last year. Is what it is.

My big worry is that RU comes out and goes up on us and then we bring in GS only once we're down and on our back foot.

I may be wrong, but that's my fear. Dino said both QBs will play. Let's see how true that is and what situation each gets to play in.

Our OL was competent, Mang stepped up and Tucker is our best offensive player by a country mile.

I don't think the game plan we employed against Ohio will show the same results and we will need to be more varied in our offense.

If Tommy can lead us to the W, great. But I don't want GS's first real game play to only be once we're behind and have to scramble because Dino was too scared to make a change before that moment.

I thought Tommy did a great job on Saturday. Would have liked to see Shrader get a series a little sooner but Dino needs to win so probably didn’t want to take a chance while Tommy was doing well.

I hope moving forward our WR’s get more separation to make it a little easier whoever is throwing the ball

The pass to Sharod was one of the first times I can recall him going left. I assume he had no choice, but can't really recall.

He completed one pass scrambling to his left, and one scrambling to his right. Both were good pickups. It's a great sign.

frankly I think most of the hate for Tommy comes due to the fact his father was here and loud for the last 2 years. GS hasn’t proved anything either yet people are acting like his is a sure fire winner and won’t make any mistakes
Tommy seems like a good dude and very likable.

Having his dad on here saying if Tommy doesn’t start over Dungey the first year he was going to transfer wasn’t the best PR

I felt like Dino was playing not to lose in the game against Ohio once we got up. I get it, we just won one game last year. Is what it is.

My big worry is that RU comes out and goes up on us and then we bring in GS only once we're down and on our back foot.

I may be wrong, but that's my fear. Dino said both QBs will play. Let's see how true that is and what situation each gets to play in.

Our OL was competent, Mang stepped up and Tucker is our best offensive player by a country mile.

I don't think the game plan we employed against Ohio will show the same results and we will need to be more varied in our offense.

If Tommy can lead us to the W, great. But I don't want GS's first real game play to only be once we're behind and have to scramble because Dino was too scared to make a change before that moment.
He’s played before. He’s not a freshman. He didn’t play because we didn’t need what he brings.

He’s played before. He’s not a freshman. He didn’t play because we didn’t need what he brings.

Right, for that game. But what that game experience brings for him in our offense may be needed for more competitive games.

We won't need what he brings against Albany to win, should he not get any snaps in that game?

100% agree with your summary.

Right, for that game. But what that game experience brings for him in our offense may be needed for more competitive games.

We won't need what he brings against Albany to win, should he not get any snaps in that game?
He’s played vs SEC teams. Sure, more live snaps is good. But it was good for Tommy too. Not worried.

FCS is a different animal. I’d expect everyone to get some play early to stay out of injury trouble

Tommy seems like a good dude and very likable.

Having his dad on here saying if Tommy doesn’t start over Dungey the first year he was going to transfer wasn’t the best PR
That's putting it mildly. I wonder if he put similar expectations on TD? True helicopter dad.

Edit: I'll never forget how he'd come here and trash ED and others. For me...that's unforgivable behavior.

Last edited:
The pass to Sharod was one of the first times I can recall him going left. I assume he had no choice, but can't really recall.

He completed one pass scrambling to his left, and one scrambling to his right. Both were good pickups. It's a great sign.

Him going left was a really good scramble because he had to do more than just float out to the left. One play doesn't make a trend but it was a great sign.

*that play for anyone who wants to take a look is at the 13:00 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. I love youtube tv.

The pressure by the way came from Mang getting shucked by the outside DE and then Tucker whiffed the block trying to help him. Dude basically went through a double team. The rest of the OL held their blocks.

The were blitzing that kid against Temple no ?
Yea the Temple game plan was very different than what they did last year. They played base 4-3 and sent Fatukasi all game long and dropped the DBs back into coverage. No idea which defense to expect on Saturday

That's putting it mildly. I wonder if he put similar expectations on TD? True helicopter dad.

Edit: I'll never forget how he'd come here and trash ED and others. For me...that's unforgivable behavior.
Publicly, yes. Not a great look.

But trust me there’s a walkons parent somewhere on our roster with a parent who thinks they should start. Comes with athletes and parents who believe in their kid.

I’m not sure this was an omission, it’s how every team beat cuse last year. Drop everyone in coverage and stop the run/get to the QB with only 4 guys. No one has loaded the box against Cuse jn two years and I’d argue it’s why the offense has been so inept. I’m hoping schiano makes the same mistake of assuming this oline is the same as last year, and it was successful Bc it was Ohio. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tucker had chances early.

"They caught us off guard, with us probably just running, the running the ball. Sean Tucker, I looked him up after the game, he's really good one."

Well, based upon Albin's comments afterwards, especially with his "I looked him up after the game" remarks, I'd predominantly still argue he was pretty clueless, however, that's my interpretation. If he hadn't uttered such self inflicting prejudicial comments, your aforementioned rationale would carry more persuasive weight with me in the moment.

We'll see how things play out moving forward and against better coached/more talented teams.

No you are not wrong.

"They caught us off guard, with us probably just running, the running the ball. Sean Tucker, I looked him up after the game, he's really good one."

Well, based upon Albin's comments afterwards, especially with his "I looked him up after the game" remarks, I'd predominantly still argue he was pretty clueless, however, that's my interpretation. If he hadn't uttered such self inflicting prejudicial comments, your aforementioned rationale would carry more persuasive weight with me in the moment.

We'll see how things play out moving forward and against better coached/more talented teams.
I did not hear that quote. Wow! Even if true, why would he admit that? Does he want to get fired? Essentially saying he didn’t scout. Yes schiano will be far more prepared to your point!

He's very much like Dungey - including the occasional accuracy issues, and somewhat reckless decision making.

Definitely more elusive as a QB AND runner, whereas Tommy, while pretty fast (in a straight line), is more just serviceable as a running QB.

That said, it's time for our monthly installment of everybody's favorite online game:
FAT PIRATE PUT UP VIDEO GAME NUMBERS IN DINO'S OFFENSE, while not being a legit running threat.

IF we're getting just average, competent OL play and run game, we don't *need* a dual-threat running QB.
(but it's a nice bonus to have)
That wasn't against high level defenses, as Saturday showed. That will, except for Albany be the easiest defense we see all year.

How do you now scout a teams leading returning rusher?

Either Albin is clueless or he thought we are so bad they would have no problem beating us… Surprise! Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom