Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

What’s your theory rrlbees?

I believe this is the 9th serious knee injury since Sept 2021.

Could we, should we be doing something different in regards to training to reduce the number of these devastating injuries?

We hired an associate AD who's department will be that whole job.

I'm coming around to field turf being an issue across college athletics.

Our turf is laid down over concrete. I’m not sure if that’s the case with turf in outside stadiums.

Why don’t those type of injuries happen to the other team? There’s always another team on the field with us.
Need to look at cleats

Yup. The NFL is going to make strong push motivated by players to play on grass only. Cooper Kupp and a lot of coaches said Friday how field turf is creating so many injuries and grass does not. Feel so bad for GW and worst off it probably just cost him millions

I'm sure the NFL will be thrilled when every stadium becomes a mud pit like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh for half the season.

Need to look at cleats
Have to wonder if the old turf shoes would give you enough grip and prevent more injuries. I have to believe it’s been tried.

No he engaged in a block and got ran through. He wasn’t in motion with his cleats stuck in the turf.

Also if it was the turf, it may claim players from the opposition.
we don't really follow how many kids on the other teams get hurt and are lost for the season, do we?

I wonder if it is the turf.
Adam Terry wondered this on the radio broadcast. He said we need to do an in-depth analysis/investigation why we lose so many players to knee, lower leg injuries.

I'm sure the NFL will be thrilled when every stadium becomes a mud pit like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh for half the season.

Take a look at the fields Jim Brown ran on. Grass, painted on grass, mud, baseball infields, etc.:

Our turf is absolutely to blame.

It needs to be looked at and investigated.

There is a reason we are losing so many kids so frequently to torn ACLs

Obviously our turf isn’t very forgiving and is grabbing and holding on to their feet.

The cleats also need to be looked at

Obviously our turf isn’t very forgiving and is grabbing and holding on to their feet.

You think...but it overwhelmingly is affecting Cuse players.

I'm not ready to go down that road...but agree they need to figure out if their is a cause or just random bad luck.

You think...but it overwhelmingly is affecting Cuse players.

I'm not ready to go down that road...but agree they need to figure out if their is a cause or just random bad luck.
im thinking its more our players are undersized and maybe strength and conditioning needs to be evaluated

I find it hard to believe that the powers that be didn’t research which turf was best when it was laid down during the roof replacement. The issue isn’t really the turf, it’s the black crumb rubber that catches the cleat.

I find it hard to believe that the powers that be didn’t research which turf was best when it was laid down during the roof replacement. The issue isn’t really the turf, it’s the black crumb rubber that catches the cleat.

Yeah, you would think. As you mentioned, this version of turf is on its second season after being replaced upon the completion of the new Dome roof. Are there different field turf manufacturer's? Did SU go with the same or different manufacturer with this turf than the one it replaced? I don't think that the one that existed prior to this one was that old, but maybe new ones are less forgiving? I don't recall SU having so many season ending knee type injuries with that prior field turf.

Interestingly, as others have alluded to, the opponents seemingly aren't having these injuries (number of) on our turf. Who really knows.

im thinking its more our players are undersized and maybe strength and conditioning needs to be evaluated
Is Mr Kilt still in charge of it? Do we have enough guys to handle 100 or so kids? I imagine that would help, plus more nutritionists

So gotta ask but during the game there was a camera on a security person (I think) that had a name badge G HEETER. Any relation?

It needs to be looked at for sure.
Also what type of surface do we practice the most on? Is it the same as the dome?
I ask because we spend a very small amount of time on the dome turf vs the practice field.
If they were the same the odds would suggest many more practice injuries than game.

I think it’s a combo of all 3:

Field turf is brutal on lower body joints.

Cleats may be giving too much grip for knees and ankles to handle the torque created by these athletes.

Size/strength deficiencies expose our leaner players to greater forces on those joints.

Edit - I think it’s a very difficult diagnosis.

IDK - take a look at Clemson last year, weren’t they missing like 20 players by the end of the year?

It would be a lot easier if the turf was the issue but look at the number of games at home vs away we played this year. Naturally we would see more injuries at home. Garrett Williams first was injured against Clemson. At least one of our players had an upper body injury. I think it is not so cut and dried.

I thought that was the old artificial turf but might be wrong.
It was.

Dome still had Astroturf for years until Gross brought in FieldTurf.

IIRC, the issue was not being able to remove FieldTurf for hoops games like they did astroturf.

Somehow, Sala and the AD figured out the protection system they use now during hoops season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom