Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

All these injured players may need some pain relief, but I was thinking more about prevention here.

Well, if it would require raising the existing turf anyway, is there anything to the idea that the cement underneath makes it worse? Could we re-lay the field turf with some padding beneath it?

You know 100x more than anyone here. But I’m not convinced about the cumulative effect. Even a slight tear a player will know because of some pain and he’s be checked out. We also use the same turf as many other teams. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things including dumb luck.
A slight tear with acute injury yes absolutely, they’ll do an mri for that etc. I’m talking the under the radar sub clinical slow cumulative fraying stresses (if you saw a ligament on vivo on a cadaver you’d see it’s literally a bunch of parallel fibers all wrapped together), these repetitive traumas can and does fray a few fibers at a time, again using the visual analogy of a burlap bag tearing a few fibers at a time until it tears outright.

It’s like sub acute under the radar inflammation that’s the driver of many ultimate disease states that can only be measured with certain non routine blood tests (Homocystine, C-reactive protein, and CRP). But almost no doctors do these blood tests proactively preventatively ahead of time to try and avoid disease problems, and wait until disease shows up and then diagnosis it and treats reactively.

We know when there’s major inflammation in us as it’s manifests as pain and overt disease, not so much this early low grade inflammation.

This leads to disease states depending on one’s unique genetic make up and predisposition (some people get lupus some people get heart disease some cancer etc).

But with knee problems that develop slowly overtime to allow a last straw scenario, you don’t even necessarily know about in that you’re getting close to that last straw. So no mri etc will be done to be able to be able know.

And viola ya get the seemingly out of nowhere non-contact related turf knee injury. You might “tweak“ your knee here and there but that’s about it.

Last edited:
Could we be more susceptible because our players, particularly players on the line, are fast but quite a bit smaller than the opponents they are facing? Is basic physics contributing here?

Agree. There are ACC teams who are even down to 3rd string qb’s and that’s just one position. We hear about qb’s more than the other positions. Wasn’t Pitt’s running back out for an extended period of time? They all don’t play on turf. Sadly there are serious injuries almost every game you watch.

Found this link for injuries in the ACC, we aren’t alone.
Well according to this chart we are the Conf leader in players “lost” tied with ND at 8.
One of our 8 is a suspension but Shrader and G Williams are listed as probable.
Williams looks like he may be out for season

I was hoping it would show all ACC teams with a slew of injuries but there is pretty wide range and we’re at the top.

Makes me think our suspicions are correct

Last edited:
Yup. The NFL is going to make strong push motivated by players to play on grass only. Cooper Kupp and a lot of coaches said Friday how field turf is creating so many injuries and grass does not. Feel so bad for GW and worst off it probably just cost him millions
Yep. The new Buffalo Bills stadium will feature natural turf.
Wonder about all these high schools that have installed artificial turf. Do they even have a plan to protect their students?

Our turf is absolutely to blame.

It needs to be looked at and investigated.

There is a reason we are losing so many kids so frequently to torn ACLs

Obviously our turf isn’t very forgiving and is grabbing and holding on to their feet.

The cleats also need to be looked at
Share this post with Buttgers. That way their coach can use our turf to recruit against us as he did with the old field in the Carrier Dome.

A slight tear with acute injury yes absolutely, they’ll do an mri for that etc. I’m talking the under the radar sub clinical slow cumulative fraying stresses (if you saw a ligament on vivo on a cadaver you’d see it’s literally a bunch of parallel fibers all wrapped together), these repetitive traumas can and does fray a few fibers at a time, again using the visual analogy of a burlap bag tearing a few fibers at a time until it tears outright.

It’s like sub acute under the radar inflammation that’s the driver of many ultimate disease states that can only be measured with certain non routine blood tests (Homocystine, C-reactive protein, and CRP). But almost no doctors do these blood tests proactively preventatively ahead of time to try and avoid disease problems, and wait until disease shows up and then diagnosis it and treats reactively.

We know when there’s major inflammation in us as it’s manifests as pain and overt disease, not so much this early low grade inflammation.

This leads to disease states depending on one’s unique genetic make up and predisposition (some people get lupus some people get heart disease some cancer etc).

But with knee problems that develop slowly overtime to allow a last straw scenario, you don’t even necessarily know about in that you’re getting close to that last straw. So no mri etc will be done to be able to be able know.

And viola ya get the seemingly out of nowhere non-contact related turf knee injury. You might “tweak“ your knee here and there but that’s about it.
Ah, yes.

The dreaded frayed potato fibers.

Well, if it would require raising the existing turf anyway, is there anything to the idea that the cement underneath makes it worse? Could we re-lay the field turf with some padding beneath it?
turf sits on a bunch of materials not sure how cement vs compressed dirt is really making a big difference they all have inches of the rubber material to help the compresion as well. do we even know what the put under the turf material. is ours dirt on top of cement with the turf on top of it?

Here’s what I can’t wrap my head around. Many teams use the same stuff as do the Colts and Lions in domes. Do they all lose a player every other game to a torn ACL? The nfl puts a lot of thought and money into player safety. They’re paying them millions. Why would they use some inferior product? I just get tired of those whose comments are on auto pilot that injuries are due to OUR turf. Dumb question but is there any dome in the world that uses grass?

Here’s what I can’t wrap my head around. Many teams use the same stuff as do the Colts and Lions in domes. Do they all lose a player every other game to a torn ACL? The nfl puts a lot of thought and money into player safety. They’re paying them millions. Why would they use some inferior product? I just get tired of those whose comments are on auto pilot that injuries are due to OUR turf. Dumb question but is there any dome in the world that uses grass?
There’s more injuries on of all kinds on turf Including concussions.

Allegiant stadium in Vegas is indoor and uses real grass, but they have more natural light than our dome.

There’s more injuries on of all kinds on turf Including concussions.

Allegiant stadium in Vegas is indoor and uses real grass, but they have more natural light than our dome.

I have no doubt there’s more injuries on turf than grass. That hasn’t been my argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom