Gary Gait! | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Why not. I like Ric. Enjoy his candor and is a Syracuse lacrosse great and recent local high school coach. He was plugging himself.

The volunteer will also need to coach at least one of the following positions: goalie and/or face-off. Petro doesnt need Ric meddling in his defense.

Don't be surprised to see a local Upstate, 3 college, face-off kid as the new volunteer coach...

The volunteer will also need to coach at least one of the following positions: goalie and/or face-off. Petro doesnt need Ric meddling in his defense.

Don't be surprised to see a local Upstate, 3 college, face-off kid as the new volunteer coach...

Do we have 100% confirmation that Roy3 is still retiring, and Tommy C needs to be replaced?

Do we have 100% confirmation that Roy3 is still retiring, and Tommy C needs to be replaced?

No we don’t. Someone had mentioned that Tommy C would take over for RoyIII but not sure if that was a theory or not. Hope at least RoyIII stays on, having his continuity would be a big plus.

Uhhh Irelan? Really? That would be something. Tommy C dealt with faceoffs last year which we all know did not go well. But I think he was brought on more to help with recruiting.

There are many types of resignations. Some are voluntary. Some are requested. Some are "...or else...".

From what I hear about him, I'm going with one of the latter two.
Didn’t he lose his mind on a kid from another team?

If true about TD Ierlan, it's quite ironic that Syracuse finally nabbed him after three unsuccessful attempts in which they tried to PAY HIM to come to Syracuse. Now that he has an undergrad from Yale and a master's degree from Yale/Denver, he chooses to come to Syracuse FOR FREE. LOL!

As far as Tommy C is concerned, he's got a lot more to bring to the table than coaching faceoffs. (Also, considering Phaup went 55% while playing against the likes of Virginia 2x, Notre Dame 2x, UNC, Duke, Army, & G-Town... it ain't that bad) Tommy C is a high character guy and has his feet deeply embedded in Upstate NY Lacrosse. He'd be an asset to any program luck enough to have him.

Last edited:
I'm as excited as everyone else about having Gary Gait (and Dave Pietramala) as coaches. However, as the dust settles, here's some questions I'm wondering about:
1) What does Gary think of the Scanlan situation? Does he have a role in closing it out? What are the "takeaways"?
2) What does he make of the on-the-field discipline problem that others have complained of (I'm thinking the fourth quarter against Georgetown). How does he address that? (I thought Gait's women's teams were very well coached but they also had their share of foul problems.)
3) What about the "culture" issue? The last several championship coaches (I'm thinking, in particular, Tiffany and Shay) have suggested that it's a big deal. Does Syracuse have a "culture" problem? If so, how is it remedied? As a related point, others have posted that some of the players are looking forward to next year's team. If so, were some of the graduating seniors an issue?
4) How is the recruiting mission distributed among the coaches? I can't help thinking that retaining March was as much about his recruiting success as it was his offensive prowess. But you have to believe that a phone call from a GOAT is a pretty big deal.
4) Despite the hand-wringing (and I've done my share) when this team dominated the face-off dot it beat the national champions twice. How do we improve there?

I'm as excited as everyone else about having Gary Gait (and Dave Pietramala) as coaches. However, as the dust settles, here's some questions I'm wondering about:
1) What does Gary think of the Scanlan situation? Does he have a role in closing it out? What are the "takeaways"?
2) What does he make of the on-the-field discipline problem that others have complained of (I'm thinking the fourth quarter against Georgetown). How does he address that? (I thought Gait's women's teams were very well coached but they also had their share of foul problems.)
3) What about the "culture" issue? The last several championship coaches (I'm thinking, in particular, Tiffany and Shay) have suggested that it's a big deal. Does Syracuse have a "culture" problem? If so, how is it remedied? As a related point, others have posted that some of the players are looking forward to next year's team. If so, were some of the graduating seniors an issue?
4) How is the recruiting mission distributed among the coaches? I can't help thinking that retaining March was as much about his recruiting success as it was his offensive prowess. But you have to believe that a phone call from a GOAT is a pretty big deal.
4) Despite the hand-wringing (and I've done my share) when this team dominated the face-off dot it beat the national champions twice. How do we improve there?
Gait's womens team had foul problems because they played a very aggressive defense, comes with the territory. They also made a great playoff run without their 2 best offensive players/leaders.

I know of one "volunteer coach" I didn't even know this is a real thing. But we have one coming on that I know of. And no, I am not going to say who it is. Not my place.
Come onnn. Tell us! We won't tell nobodyyyyy!

TeachingTolerance_TT55_Buddy_Up_With_Arthur_friends on couch_1800px.jpg

Gait's womens team had foul problems because they played a very aggressive defense, comes with the territory. They also made a great playoff run without their 2 best offensive players/leaders.
No argument. I have nothing but admiration for the girl's team. And I agree that their aggressive style was part of their success. The fouling problem was cited in an Inside Lacrosse podcast.

These are good questions! I'll do my best to answer, though someone more plugged into the program would have better responses.

1) Hopefully the Scanlan situation is in the rearview mirror. I have to think, Gait would be the last coach on earth that would offer him any sort of second chance, seeing that he was the women's coach last year. The takeaways? It sounds like Scanlan had a number of previous unreported issues that should have been addressed (rumors of at least two fights with teammates). Have to nip things like this in the bud early on.
2) Syracuse definitely had some bad moments last year where frustration got the best of them. I'm not a coach, but I imagine taking guys out of games or some sort of discipline if they can't keep their emotions in check would help.
3) "Culture" is such a difficult thing to measure. To me it's a chicken or the egg type thing - are you winning because you have a good culture, or do you have a good culture because you are winning? I know a lot was made of UVA not bringing in a lot of transfers last year and that was because of their "culture". Duke fell apart and it was thought it was because they brought in too many transfers. So I think Syracuse has to be careful about who they bring in, but should still bring in impact players if they can. Also, it seems like a team would just be much more easy to manage if the numbers are lower. It sounds like long term this is something Gait wants to work on, but I don't know if he will make massive cuts to the roster. I might remember this wrong, but I beleive when Tiffany came on at UVA, he made a number of cuts to the roster that surprised people. It seemed harsh at the time, but perhaps Gait should do the same. Did Syracuse have culture problems last year? The covid protocal suspensions were not a good look to start the year, and raises some questions about how committed the team was, but at the same time, as a team they stood up to a star player and made a stand - not too many teams can say that.
4) It does sound like all three coaches will be heavily involved in recruiting which is great. I think its well known Desko didn't love the grind of recruiting, and I don't think Donahue was well known for recruiting either - that left most of it up to Rogers. Now you have March who proved himself last year, along with two of the biggest names in lacrosse history. Petro has proven himself a really good recruiter, and can draw from all over the country. Not sure what exact responsibilities get doled out to who but it looks like Gait was at the Long Island High School Championships this week while Petro was down in Maryland at an event. I'm guessing there will be a lot of dividing and conquering.
5) Faceoffs are tricky - Phaup had his struggles last year, but still had a 57% winning percentage, and like you said dominated LaSalla. I don't think you can just give up on him, but you need to have a more reliable backup. And in terms of coaching it felt pretty telling that he felt the need to drive down to New Jersey to meet with Jerry Ragonese when he was struggling. Someone on here mentioned that TD Irelan might be brought in as a voluntary coach, but I have no idea how true that is. If it is true I have to think that would help immensely. I don't think many teams have a coach who is considered an expert on face-offs.

I thought I would add my own question.
6) How does Gait make this team his own? I sincerely beleive it is great that Desko still plans on being close to the program, and that he's already had extensive contact with Gait and Petro. And Gait being an alum, and having previously coached the women's team helps with continuity, which again is certainly a good thing - but this program needed a shakeup. How does Gait establish himself and make it clear that someone new is leading the team.

These are good questions! I'll do my best to answer, though someone more plugged into the program would have better responses.

1) Hopefully the Scanlan situation is in the rearview mirror. I have to think, Gait would be the last coach on earth that would offer him any sort of second chance, seeing that he was the women's coach last year. The takeaways? It sounds like Scanlan had a number of previous unreported issues that should have been addressed (rumors of at least two fights with teammates). Have to nip things like this in the bud early on.
2) Syracuse definitely had some bad moments last year where frustration got the best of them. I'm not a coach, but I imagine taking guys out of games or some sort of discipline if they can't keep their emotions in check would help.
3) "Culture" is such a difficult thing to measure. To me it's a chicken or the egg type thing - are you winning because you have a good culture, or do you have a good culture because you are winning? I know a lot was made of UVA not bringing in a lot of transfers last year and that was because of their "culture". Duke fell apart and it was thought it was because they brought in too many transfers. So I think Syracuse has to be careful about who they bring in, but should still bring in impact players if they can. Also, it seems like a team would just be much more easy to manage if the numbers are lower. It sounds like long term this is something Gait wants to work on, but I don't know if he will make massive cuts to the roster. I might remember this wrong, but I beleive when Tiffany came on at UVA, he made a number of cuts to the roster that surprised people. It seemed harsh at the time, but perhaps Gait should do the same. Did Syracuse have culture problems last year? The covid protocal suspensions were not a good look to start the year, and raises some questions about how committed the team was, but at the same time, as a team they stood up to a star player and made a stand - not too many teams can say that.
4) It does sound like all three coaches will be heavily involved in recruiting which is great. I think its well known Desko didn't love the grind of recruiting, and I don't think Donahue was well known for recruiting either - that left most of it up to Rogers. Now you have March who proved himself last year, along with two of the biggest names in lacrosse history. Petro has proven himself a really good recruiter, and can draw from all over the country. Not sure what exact responsibilities get doled out to who but it looks like Gait was at the Long Island High School Championships this week while Petro was down in Maryland at an event. I'm guessing there will be a lot of dividing and conquering.
5) Faceoffs are tricky - Phaup had his struggles last year, but still had a 57% winning percentage, and like you said dominated LaSalla. I don't think you can just give up on him, but you need to have a more reliable backup. And in terms of coaching it felt pretty telling that he felt the need to drive down to New Jersey to meet with Jerry Ragonese when he was struggling. Someone on here mentioned that TD Irelan might be brought in as a voluntary coach, but I have no idea how true that is. If it is true I have to think that would help immensely. I don't think many teams have a coach who is considered an expert on face-offs.

6) How does Gait make this team his own? I sincerely beleive it is great that Desko still plans on being close to the program, and that he's already had extensive contact with Gait and Petro. And Gait being an alum, and having previously coached the women's team helps with continuity, which again is certainly a good thing - but this program needed a shakeup. How does Gait establish himself and make it clear that someone new is leading the team.
Great post and responses from ks orange and Powellfan

In relation to ks's question about culture and Powellfan's about Gait making the team his own, I would say that I am tired of hearing players talk about winning a championship at the start of every season. I would like to see a culture built around winning the next game. Of course we all want the F4 and a NC, but this mentality has grown to be a problem - almost an expectation or sense of entitlement rather than something to be earned.

Also, in terms of recruiting... as noted it's great to have all of the coaches involved. Most important will be having Gary and Petro involved with some of the clinics they're allowed to attend and participate in and be as hands on as possible. Desko didn't do this. Gary being Gary Gait can hopefully move mountains in terms of connecting with players in that environment.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I suspect one of the ways that Gait makes the team his own might be the emphasis on a "freewheeling" and creative approach he described in his initial interviews. However, I wonder how such a playing style might intersect with the issues of discipline and culture I asked about.. I'd be interested in your opinion as well as the other more knowledgeable posters.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I suspect one of the ways that Gait makes the team his own might be the emphasis on a "freewheeling" and creative approach he described in his initial interviews. However, I wonder how such a playing style might intersect with the issues of discipline and culture I asked about.. I'd be interested in your opinion as well as the other more knowledgeable posters.
Oops. I meant more knowledgeable than me.

To confirm that there will indeed be volunteer coaches used.
You could have easily said that without the “I know something that you don’t know…” middle school retort. But then, that wouldn’t haven’t drawn attention.

I’m going to address this here because I know the Lax board doesn’t get as many eyeballs as football or hoops & I’m not trying to raise a big issue or point of contention. I appreciate llandz for sharing her inside intel...something she’s in no way obligated to do. To me, knowing that a volunteer assistant has been chosen, even though their identity wasn’t revealed, is valuable intel...intel I otherwise wouldn’t be privy to. I’m semi-connected to the Lax program but her sharing this info has allowed me to open up a dialogue with people in my life that are FAR more connected & gain even more valuable intel. I appreciate her facilitating that.

I don’t understand the questioning of her intentions here or the prodding of her to reveal more. I’ve never met her, but I’ve followed this board long enough to learn that she’s accomplished & successful & has no reason to chase “Likes” or “clout” on a message board for the “dopamine rush” or to validate herself.

llandz, I appreciate you sharing your intel here, in countless women’s sports threads, & in regards to AZ natives Jawhar Jordan & Joey Kelly on the football board....& anything I’ve assuredly left out. It has made me a more informed ‘Cuse fan. I think I speak for many when I say: please keep it coming, at your discretion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom