Gary Gait! | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Gait's successor for the Women's program has been chosen. There had been rumors that Joe Spallina would take over the program, guess that was off base.

I'm assuming something broke down negotiation wise or Spallina changed his mind as I heard it was very close to being him. Hope this doesn't have any adverse affect with Joey.

I'm assuming something broke down negotiation wise or Spallina changed his mind as I heard it was very close to being him. Hope this doesn't have any adverse affect with Joey.
Wonder if he wanted a deal like or even better than Gait’s lucrative contract?

Gait mentions targeting a FOGO and a goalie in the transfer portal. I think an attackman should be a priority as well. Another defender would be great but there are a lot on the roster already.

I didn't follow the search super closely, but it sounds like current and former players wanted an alum badly. I think Spallina would have been a great choice as he's super qualified, but also maybe would have been a bad look to pass on a candidate who is coming off a National Championship victory. I also think Spallina might be more helpful to the men's program if he's still leading Team 91 on Long Island.

Wonder if he wanted a deal like or even better than Gait’s lucrative contract?

Certainly possible, or perhaps family considerations came into play or SU was looking to pay a lot less for the womens team as Gait was rumored to be highly paid versus other top end Womens teams.

Certainly possible, or perhaps family considerations came into play or SU was looking to pay a lot less for the womens team as Gait was rumored to be highly paid versus other top end Womens teams.

Assuming that Joe would have relocated to the 315, would it have been feasible for him to run a club program 300 miles away on LI at the same time?

I don’t think it was a $$$ negotiation issue. I think that going into the vetting process, the search committee had an idea of who they wanted as the coach (Spallina) which is why everyone was hearing he was going to be the successor. But after they interviewed Kayla, she impressed them and thought she was the best candidate to lead the program going forward.

I don’t think there is any ill-will from Joe or Joey. Joe is going to continue to lead Stony Brook as a top 5 - top 10 program in the country. If he wants to make a move to leading an ACC team, Clemson would be very stupid not to at least give him an interview.

Joey is coming to ‘Cuse and having Gait as his coach will only enhance his game, if that can even be done. The kid is D1 ready as a junior and will help bring this program back to relevancy again.

If Joey see’s head coaching in his future, there’s no better coach to learn from than Gary IMHO. Gary makes awesome head coaches. Cathy Reese, Kelly Amonte Hiller, Jen Adams, Acacia Walker Weinstein, Katie Rowan, Michelle Tumolo and now Kayla Treanor.

Edit: let me change this and say that is not the information I got. Kayla was offered the job at the beginning of the search and accepted is the info I got. She likely needed some time to get her ducks in a row before the announcement and then Axe decided to post inaccurate information.

I don’t think it was a $$$ negotiation issue. I think that going into the vetting process, the search committee had an idea of who they wanted as the coach (Spallina) which is why everyone was hearing he was going to be the successor. But after they interviewed Kayla, she impressed them and thought she was the best candidate to lead the program going forward.

I don’t think there is any ill-will from Joe or Joey. Joe is going to continue to lead Stony Brook as a top 5 - top 10 program in the country. If he wants to make a move to leading an ACC team, Clemson would be very stupid not to at least give him an interview.

Joey is coming to ‘Cuse and having Gait as his coach will only enhance his game, if that can even be done. The kid is D1 ready as a junior and will help bring this program back to relevancy again.

If Joey see’s head coaching in his future, there’s no better coach to learn from than Gary IMHO. Gary makes awesome head coaches. Cathy Reese, Kelly Amonte Hiller, Jen Adams, Acacia Walker Weinstein, Katie Rowan, Michelle Tumolo and now Kayla Treanor.
I couldn't imagine the culture shock on his family if he moved from LI to Clemson SC. He seems content running the SB women's program.

Assuming that Joe would have relocated to the 315, would it have been feasible for him to run a club program 300 miles away on LI at the same time?

Except for Spallina doesn't run 91. Not even remotely. Sean Chamberlain and George Breres own and operate 91 (with some major investors). Joe coaches in the club and may have some very small minority stake.

Except for Spallina doesn't run 91. Not even remotely. Sean Chamberlain and George Breres own and operate 91 (with some major investors). Joe coaches in the club and may have some very small minority stake.
Correct. Joe’s brother Brian is founder & Co-Director. Joe is heavily involved as a coach of multiple teams.

In regards to the Maverick Showtime event Petro and Gait are at, there are lots of recognizable names, including Owen Duffy (teammate of Michael Leo), Jake Spallina of Spallina fame, Tomas Delgado, Andrew Greenspan and Leo Hoffman (teammates of Blake Borges). Probably a whole bunch more I’m missing.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you never watched it played at a high level. Girls' lax is a tough watch. Women's d1 lax is a fun watch. The SU women were more enjoyable than the men this year.
That goes without saying because the men’s team was putrid beyond words. FYI, my daughter played at the highest HS level, in addition to club lax every summer. She had multiple offers to play D1, but chose a medical degree instead. To each their own, but for me, men’s lax is significantly more exciting.

That goes without saying because the men’s team was putrid beyond words. FYI, my daughter played at the highest HS level, in addition to club lax every summer. She had multiple offers to play D1, but chose a medical degree instead. To each their own, but for me, men’s lax is significantly more exciting.
lol "putrid beyond words." Did one of the members of the team sleep with your wife?

Last edited:
Ks Orange had recently asked about the culture of the team, and on a recent podcast, Quint K brought it up as well in relation to the Orange specifically - wondering if it were good enough. I thought this article was good in explaining what went into making a good culture. It's still hard to define for me, and it can mean different things to different people, but it seemed like the coaches interviewed here (Bruce Arians, Steve Kerr, Joe Maddon and Nick Saban) came to a lot of the same conclusions. What stuck out to me was accountability and trust. It seemed important to these coaches that the players themselves felt empowered to make right choices and that they were trusted by their teammates and coaches.

Will be interesting to see how Gait and the other coaches implement a winning strategy on this issue, and how they build trust, and find leaders on the team. In the Petro interview he talked a lot about competitiveness and commitment, I have to imagine those traits will be a focus. They also talked a lot about how one player can make a big difference in cementing or turning around the culture of a team (Arians brought up Tom Brady for instance). As a tactic, Arians also brought up the fact that they will post every mistake made in practice, or a game on a whiteboard where everyone can see. This helps make sure mistakes are eliminated since players do not want to see their name on that board. Made me think of the myriad of careless penalties the Orange made last year. Anyway, the Athletic is subscription based but I find their articles worth the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom