Gary Gait! | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Correct, Petro's style his last really decade or so was more of a finesse, stick skill heavy defense with complex slides and movements. I am hopeful that he would adjust to more of an aggressive style to suit what Gait wants to do and to change it up after his more passive style really struggled the last handful of years at Hop.
This is one of the more interesting questions in my mind related to the coaching changes.

What we saw too much of last season on the defensive side: Poor communication overall (No slides, unneeded slides when the on-ball defense was actually pretty good, two guys sliding to the ball, etc.), inconsistent play from the SSDM unit at best and alot of instances of them being left out to dry, multiple times in ACC play where we didn't have a true alpha #1 defender to go up against the Grays, Sowers, etc., and an overall poor man down unit which relates back to the communication point.

What makes me nervous about the potential Petro hire is the point that Jeremy and others have made about the comments that Hop fanbase has made over their defenses being too much finesse and overly complicated the last several years. I just don't think going against these ACC offenses that you can have these overly elaborate schemes. They are too quick and talented. The schemes have to be simplified and executed really well. I'm hoping that year off was a time of reflection about what works and what doesn't schematically in the modern era.

What I'd like to see: MUCH better communication and evaluation of on-ball defense to know when to help. Be on-ball aggressive and position aggressive, but that needs to be controlled aggression. Know your personnel and know when the right time/matchups are to take some chances. Units like Notre Dame, Maryland, Yale, etc. are the ones to emulate IMO. There is alot of room for aggressiveness in these schemes especially when it comes to quick doubles.

This is one of the more interesting questions in my mind related to the coaching changes.

What we saw too much of last season on the defensive side: Poor communication overall (No slides, unneeded slides when the on-ball defense was actually pretty good, two guys sliding to the ball, etc.), inconsistent play from the SSDM unit at best and alot of instances of them being left out to dry, multiple times in ACC play where we didn't have a true alpha #1 defender to go up against the Grays, Sowers, etc., and an overall poor man down unit which relates back to the communication point.

What makes me nervous about the potential Petro hire is the point that Jeremy and others have made about the comments that Hop fanbase has made over their defenses being too much finesse and overly complicated the last several years. I just don't think going against these ACC offenses that you can have these overly elaborate schemes. They are too quick and talented. The schemes have to be simplified and executed really well. I'm hoping that year off was a time of reflection about what works and what doesn't schematically in the modern era.

What I'd like to see: MUCH better communication and evaluation of on-ball defense to know when to help. Be on-ball aggressive and position aggressive, but that needs to be controlled aggression. Know your personnel and know when the right time/matchups are to take some chances. Units like Notre Dame, Maryland, Yale, etc. are the ones to emulate IMO. There is alot of room for aggressiveness in these schemes especially when it comes to quick doubles.
all these conversations on multiple boards of aggressive vs passive. on another a poster just said you have to be more aggressive nowadays and slide less.
after you have what you have athletically, communication, smarts and instinct win the day. know whatever complex or simple rules you have and go when you need to and stay when you don't. and have your 2 ready to cover when you go.
you need guys that can stay in front of their man and more importantly have the communication, smarts and instinct to know how and when to back that guy up.
that's it, that's the list. if you have that, sure you can send a few more slides/doubles and ya it'd be great if you have a takeaway guy or 2.

cuse (and hop.. and others) haven't had enough of those instinct guys over the years. or at least when defenses underperformed.

most transition (besides riding, some faceoff) in nc$$ is initiated out of quick outlets from your keeper. i'd expect that to go up.

Completely disagree that Petro is some recruiting genius look at the 2020 Hopkins squad as unathletic as it gets. Short sticks were terrible defense was a bigger problem there then at SU. The fact remains Petro will leave SU for the first HC job that pops up guaranteed! Implementing new defense takes a lot of time multiple seasons for players to get really comfortable he is not staying multiple seasons. His defense packages are elaborate and complex. In 2004 he had over 30 slide packages to try and stop Mikey Powell none of them worked. Let Umass have him

Completely disagree that Petro is some recruiting genius look at the 2020 Hopkins squad as unathletic as it gets. Short sticks were terrible defense was a bigger problem there then at SU. The fact remains Petro will leave SU for the first HC job that pops up guaranteed! Implementing new defense takes a lot of time multiple seasons for players to get really comfortable he is not staying multiple seasons. His defense packages are elaborate and complex. In 2004 he had over 30 slide packages to try and stop Mikey Powell none of them worked. Let Umass have him
So Petro is qualified to be a head coach but not a defensive coordinator? Makes sense.

So Petro is qualified to be a head coach but not a defensive coordinator? Makes sense.
No wouldn’t want him for either but I can guarantee he won’t be satisfied as an assistant it’s a short term stepping stone

And he wasn’t motivated at Hopkins?because his teams at the end of his tenure weren’t setting the world on fire. Nor does Syracuse have the defensive talent in place to execute his elaborate packages. Nor will he stay long enough to develop players into this system. Syracuse University players and fans deserve better then someone who wants to use them to get a head coaching position elsewhere

And he wasn’t motivated at Hopkins?because his teams at the end of his tenure weren’t setting the world on fire. Nor does Syracuse have the defensive talent in place to execute his elaborate packages. Nor will he stay long enough to develop players into this system. Syracuse University players and fans deserve better then someone who wants to use them to get a head coaching position elsewhere
You ever worked somewhere or done something for so long that you just kind of run out of energy to do the main job effectively and work to defeat all the unseen forces acting against you, like an administration or fan base or alumni base? People get burned out and don’t have the same fire. But then a fresh opportunity comes along and a new fire is lit.

If he does in fact end up as the DC I will be interested to see what kind of style he implements. I will say I recall reading a lot of complaining from Hopkins fans on the other lax site about how passive/non-aggressive they felt the defense had become.
That's disappointing; especially, since that's not how Pietramala played. Before I posted I reviewed some old Hopkins games from the late '80's. I loved his agressive style. He was a force. Check out the '89 Championship game where he shadowed Gary. A classic matchup.

Well, it was Mikey Powell. Think of all the defenses to stop Brady, Jordan, LeBron, etc. The only sport when you can take out the true greats, consistently, is baseball

The only way I see him staying multiple seasons is if his sons switch to SU with them and Dwan there it might keep him invested

That's disappointing; especially, since that's not how Pietramala played. Before I posted I reviewed some old Hopkins games from the late '80's. I loved his agressive style. He was a force. Check out the '89 Championship game where he shadowed Gary. A classic matchup.
Can’t wait till they start showing that on the Jumbotron next year.

Get ready for the lacrosse world to be turned on its proverbial tuchas. Good and evil are about to unite to save the universe.

According to a very reliable source, it’s already a done deal.
Wow! I didn't realize the universe was in such a dire position that it needed to be saved. ;)

Pipe down ya no good rowdy wahoo

Allow Cuse fandom the moment to revel in high hopes

Cavs better enjoy the top because the descent will be steep
It could be a long gentle staircase, like for SU.

Gary will find ways to guide his players to glow Orange!

432DFFBE-536A-42D0-B887-1B88AF6E5153.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom