Gene Fisch | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Gene Fisch

Roy Neal from Central Tech went to New Mexico State after Jimmy Collins. There was also a Terry Neal (Roy's brother) who played at Central. Don't know where he went.

Tipphill did u graduate from St. Pats in 1967? My last name is gleason and I went to Hearts graduated in 67 but knew alot of St Pat kids. Playing Little League near St. Bridgets Babe ruth at Burnet and hanging aroung Passes Field on Avery Ave. Knew the Walshes, Tommy Driscoll others. Seems like a different life ago.

Meant Tommy McCarthy. We were on same Little baseball allstar team. He was a great pitcher who at 12 was throwing curve balls. He had a wicked curve so before one of the allstar games I asked to warm him up and told him to throw a curve ball. Well much to my astonishment I never saw a ball break like his did and it glanced off my glove and hit me right sqaure in the head. I was too embarassed to cry with all spectators watching. Did he go to Creighton?

Tipphill did u graduate from St. Pats in 1967? My last name is gleason and I went to Hearts graduated in 67 but knew alot of St Pat kids. Playing Little League near St. Bridgets Babe ruth at Burnet and hanging aroung Passes Field on Avery Ave. Knew the Walshes, Tommy Driscoll others. Seems like a different life ago.
sure did, my last name is taylor played little league at the same place(netherland dairy team),didn't play but a year in babe ruth(i was not very good)played hoops for st.pats(wasn't very good at that either)knew all same people you mentioned. if you went to hearts you knew tom sakowski, he lived next door to me, great guy, played on those great hearts teams. they seemed like the biggest team i ever saw!!!!

Meant Tommy McCarthy. We were on same Little baseball allstar team. He was a great pitcher who at 12 was throwing curve balls. He had a wicked curve so before one of the allstar games I asked to warm him up and told him to throw a curve ball. Well much to my astonishment I never saw a ball break like his did and it glanced off my glove and hit me right sqaure in the head. I was too embarassed to cry with all spectators watching. Did he go to Creighton?
i thought it was n.m. state ---i think john bova went to creighton--not sure though

Roy Neal from Central Tech went to New Mexico State after Jimmy Collins. There was also a Terry Neal (Roy's brother) who played at Central. Don't know where he went.

That's it, thanks.

i was on that allstar team 2nd base.

Tom Sakowski story. He went to Oswego a year ahead of me and worked at the Warehouse as a bouncer. I didn't turn 18 till after my freshman school year started and on my birthday, my friends were taking me to the "warehouse". I saw him and thought - good , I know him. Well he thought it was hysterical that he kept me waiting on the steps just talking till it turned midnight before letting me in. He was a character. Another time in winter ,Oswego put up ropes to help people walk up to classes from Hart Hall to Snygg because it would get so windy and icy. Of course I get knocked around and drop my books which slide down the icy sidewalk to the bottom. Who do I see when I look up - Tom laughing his head off again. Two seconds later he took a header and even at his size, he himself went flying down the hill. Divine retribution ;) Funny guy.

For you St Pat's guys I knew most of them (I used to date a St Pat's guy) do you recall another Sacred Heart guy who lived in the midst of the micks named Tom Godzac?

Tomcat wrote:

"The most distinctive thing about that gym though was the low ceiling. Ridiculously low ceilings. You had to adjust the arc of your jumper if it was more than 14 or 15 feet...or it would hit the ceiling, the light fixtures, or the various and sundry other things that hung from it."

I had the distinction of hitting every ceiling or light cage in the parochial league, so I have that going for me, which is kind of nice.
Jack (The Shot) Foley Holy Cross got his Jump shot from playing in Low Ceiling Gyms

I think it was Bob Dobreski at Central and Andy at Rosary, or maybe not. Andy was older. Also, I think the City League in the late 50's, early 60's was Central Tech, Nottingham, North and Eastwood( before Henninger), Valley and Vocational (before Corcoran), CBA and Cortland, who had a great running back named Chuck Freeman. I'm not sure, but Fulton and Oswego may have also been in the City League at that time.
64 for fulton

Oh wow the Netherland Dairy. I was on CIO #1 Lynch was coach. Godzac a year younger. Played with him on Hearts baseball. He was in my sisters class. Hearts bb my senior year was class. Zaganczyk, Contos (montreal) and Schmidt (BC) Stepien, Godzac. Sakowski. Others whose names I can not recall.

The bar in Nottingham plaza...RJ O'Tooles?

Coleman's...sneaking in the men's bathroom window on St Patrick's Day when the line at the front door was discouraging...this was before they upgraded the place.

The bar in Nottingham plaza...RJ O'Tooles?

Actually it was the Big O before it became RJ's

Runt: Definitely played Fulton in 1964 but can't remember if we played them earlier. I remember jumping in a ride and everyone saying, "Where the hell is this place".

Tipp: Ahhhh I remember the Barge Inn well ... and Freddie Pratts ...What I can't remember is where Freddies Pratts was ...

Hewitts in Fairmount...The Chalet in Fayetteville. Brookside..hit them all.

Spent many nights in the Poorhouse West. I spent more time in bars, by a long shot, than I did playing basketball/baseball/football.

Such like a great thread... Know a lot of these names and I mean no disrepct but I was and still am friends with the kids of several of those mentioned... Especially from the west side, i went to CBA, and we had a lot of fun and some good rivalries with not just ludden when I was a kid but corcoran and west hill as well just because there seemed to be a lot of us hanging out at that point in time as well as playing summer league basketball and baseball..

I grew up in Liverpool but went to cba in 7 th grade, my dad grew up on the west side,it was really strange that most of my friends at cba all lived on that side of town and many still do

The Fayetteville Inn, The Brookside, and The Red Dog Saloon. I believe Freddy Pratts was on Burnet Ave. and eventually became The Old Parochial League Tavern. I think we have now come full circle on this post!

The Fayetteville Inn, The Brookside, and The Red Dog Saloon. I believe Freddy Pratts was on Burnet Ave. and eventually became The Old Parochial League Tavern. I think we have now come full circle on this post!

Actually Freddie Pratts was on Geddes St near Delaware school but down a block or so towards the old Hibernian Club (now a library) but on the other side of Geddes.

Yesssss ... now remember Freddie Pratt's and all the other "sites" mentioned ... Yes Freddie's was on Geddes Street... The Brookside, the Fayetteville Inn and The Red Dog. How did we manage to go to all those places? Did anybody ever go to Pfohls ... up South Ave across from the cemetary? I remember having a bar each night .. for instance Wednesday's were the Big O, etc... and of course Friday was usually Coleman's unless there was a band or a dance somewhere... but then we might have ended back at Coleman's afterward. Everyone "knew"the schedule so you knew just aboout everybody there. Saturday night was date night ... and Sunday sucked. After the games we used to get together and decide where to go ... like if there was a band somewhere.

Here's one I bet people don't remember. Everybody thinks of the Sherwood Inn as a foofah place ... I remember when it was a semi-dive and had dances there on Fridays or Saturdays.

Hey OE ... beforeit gets lost in the thread... any info on eddie bullard and/or billy noel (see previous post) ... wouldn't it be absolutely mind boggling if Billy was related to Nerlens somehow?

Yesssss ... now remember Freddie Pratt's and all the other "sites" mentioned ... Yes Freddie's was on Geddes Street... The Brookside, the Fayetteville Inn and The Red Dog. How did we manage to go to all those places? Did anybody ever go to Pfohls ... up South Ave across from the cemetary? I remember having a bar each night .. for instance Wednesday's were the Big O, etc... and of course Friday was usually Coleman's unless there was a band or a dance somewhere... but then we might have ended back at Coleman's afterward. Saturday night was date night ... and Sunday sucked. After the games we used to get together and decide where to go ... like if there was a band somewhere.
I think on South Ave the bar was named Garzone's. Never went there but from my husband and his friends said no one over 18 went there. One of the sons of the owner was named "Turk" Garzone. Wow I really had to think back on that one.

Pfohl's I think was in the valley somewhere.

Pfohls...still around..but this one is on S. Salina.

Never been there, but I did go to Garzone's a couple of times..seems like it was located where you indicate Pfohls was. Set back on the hill on South Ave across from the cemetery.

Yes ... went to Garzone's ... wow so many bars, so little time in our youth. Yes, Pfohl's was up St. Agnes Hill across from St. Agnes cemetary ... had a brief run as the "place to go" (I think on Mondays or Tuesdays)

THANKS BEVO!!! You are aboslutely right ... Pfohls became Garzones ...YES!! Another piece of the memory puzzle is in place.

Yellow balloon?

What was the name of the place on West Fayette St. near the Ukrainian Church before it was George something now? Greg Blaich owned it and sold it to George something. It was Dooleyz and Billy E's also, but in the 60's it was something I can't remember. Also, the Garzone family has owned Garzone's since the 1940's. I don't think that building was ever being operated as Pfohls. Garzone's was the hang out for the Elmwood Animals, Don Zogg, John Sands and others. Remember them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom