Gene Fisch | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Gene Fisch

Sorry, wasn't trying to be definitive about what preceded Garzone's at that spot, just wondering if Pfohls might have been there before Garzone's.

When I said..Never been there, but I did go to Garzone's a couple of times..seems like it was located where you indicate Pfohls was.

By "it" I meant Garzone's. I honestly didn't know how long Garzone's had been around.

Back to the memory bank SkanSU.

Yellow Balloon? Go back farther. "Wanda's"

Wow, never heard on Wanda's. Same place as Yellow Balloon? Must have been in the 60's.

Yup ... remember Wanda's as well ...Jeesh, how many bars have I been to? Was I ever home? Did I ever go to school?

Bevo: Nope you are right. Garzones was one of our favorite hangouts early in life (Yes, the 60's) ...and it was on St. Agnes Hill. After games we could jump into our cars and head to Garzones and never worry about getting carded.

Actually, before it became Garzones it was a dump (not that Garzones wasn't) ... but before that it was a really high quality restaurant. I got Pfohl's mixed up ... bring that piece out and put the Garzone's piece in.

What was the name of the place on West Fayette St. near the Ukrainian Church before it was George something now? Greg Blaich owned it and sold it to George something. It was Dooleyz and Billy E's also, but in the 60's it was something I can't remember. Also, the Garzone family has owned Garzone's since the 1940's. I don't think that building was ever being operated as Pfohls. Garzone's was the hang out for the Elmwood Animals, Don Zogg, John Sands and others. Remember them?

It was a little dinky bar on the hill going up W. Fayette? I got my first drink there at the bar at the rpeold age of 14. How could you possibly know Johnny Sands and Don Zogg ... as well as the Elmwood Animals? I won't go into my history there. Went to school with them and "befriended" them when I went to Roosevelt.

Coz, don't tell me you are from the South side.

I heard of it, knew where it was but never went there.

So it was Wanda's for 1 year when I was 14. That's why I never heard of it. Only knew it as Yellow Balloon and Lost Horizon.

Italiano bought it in 1969 and a year later remolded it and opened it up as The Yellow Balloon...but it was Wanda's for quite a while before he bought it in 69.

I went there once around 1968...heard some stories about the owner/barmaid..not sure how true they were, can't repeat them on a public forum.

Yesssss ... now remember Freddie Pratt's and all the other "sites" mentioned ... Yes Freddie's was on Geddes Street... The Brookside, the Fayetteville Inn and The Red Dog. How did we manage to go to all those places? Did anybody ever go to Pfohls ... up South Ave across from the cemetary? I remember having a bar each night .. for instance Wednesday's were the Big O, etc... and of course Friday was usually Coleman's unless there was a band or a dance somewhere... but then we might have ended back at Coleman's afterward. Everyone "knew"the schedule so you knew just aboout everybody there. Saturday night was date night ... and Sunday sucked. After the games we used to get together and decide where to go ... like if there was a band somewhere.

Here's one I bet people don't remember. Everybody thinks of the Sherwood Inn as a foofah place ... I remember when it was a semi-dive and had dances there on Fridays or Saturdays.
the brookside and the scene used to compete for popularity as i recall

What was the name of the place on West Fayette St. near the Ukrainian Church before it was George something now? Greg Blaich owned it and sold it to George something. It was Dooleyz and Billy E's also, but in the 60's it was something I can't remember. Also, the Garzone family has owned Garzone's since the 1940's. I don't think that building was ever being operated as Pfohls. Garzone's was the hang out for the Elmwood Animals, Don Zogg, John Sands and others. Remember them?
it was VALS,--buzzard moriarty was also there as a bartender.

Oh wow the Netherland Dairy. I was on CIO #1 Lynch was coach. Godzac a year younger. Played with him on Hearts baseball. He was in my sisters class. Hearts bb my senior year was class. Zaganczyk, Contos (montreal) and Schmidt (BC) Stepien, Godzac. Sakowski. Others whose names I can not recall.
danny vancott and maybe rich dombrowski? i think rich d. hit a base line jumper at the buzzer to win the parochial/city league playoff one year

It was a little dinky bar on the hill going up W. Fayette? I got my first drink there at the bar at the rpeold age of 14. How could you possibly know Johnny Sands and Don Zogg ... as well as the Elmwood Animals? I won't go into my history there. Went to school with them and "befriended" them when I went to Roosevelt.

Coz, don't tell me you are from the South side.
vals--long and narrow

SkanSU: My bride is a St. Anthony's girl who knew all of the Elmwood Animals. I'm from the east side. Never went to Garzone's. Afraid of getting beat up by the Elmwood Animals.

halfmoon----i tagged tommy mc carthy for at two run home run,the only one i ever hit, in the playoff game which we lost,i can't remember i think it was the best 2 out of three----best second baseman i ever saw in L.L. was ziggy cole, played for waddys . lets see--cio#1 grey uis red piping.cio#2 white unis blue piping,waddys -white unis navy blue piping,tipphill post?grey unis best coach, they bunted alot.maybe this should be on a private message, so we don't bore everyone.

i agree garzones as far i as know was never pholfs it was garzones, could be wrong

There had to be a CNY connection for New Mexico St - Jimmy Collins, the Neal fellow you mention and an MHR kid from the early 70's Jim Michaels went there for a while too. Wonder what or who it was?
Also Tommy McCarthy from Ludden and St.Pats grammar school...

i agree garzones as far i as know was never pholfs it was garzones, could be wrong
I had already concurred ... My memory wandered and got lost ... definitely Garzones.

Coz: She would have known most if she were a south sider .. There was not only Donny and John but also Chuck Wilson ... they were all public school kids ... I used to kid John that he would be the first 18 year old to graduate from Junior Hgh School.

We are venturing into bars that I am unfamiliar with (amazing)... I certainly remembered Wanda's ... and the Lost Horizon ... the Yellow Balloon s a tad hazy ... Val's rings a distant bell.

Hey OE hasn't been back here for a while ... stilllooking for some info on Ed Bullard and Billy Noel if you have any.

Formy edification (and educationas well as memory deficits) what was the Catholic church and school on Avery Ave.

danny vancott and maybe rich dombrowski? i think rich d. hit a base line jumper at the buzzer to win the parochial/city league playoff one year

Rich was a nice guy. I'm pretty sure he was my year ('69) and Hearts didn't win it that year. Pat's won the regular season by a game having split with MHR then MHR won the playoffs (think they were held at Lemoyne back then) to play against Ludden, the city champs. Maybe it was his junior year at Hearts? I can't recall who won in '68 but it could have been Hearts or Evangelist/Cathedral - whatever team Pete Ganley played on.

Here's a few more "watering holes" from the past: Benham's, the old Walter Whites Tavern, Tecumseh(TC). Downtown was Johnny Lamp's, Copper Kettle, The Back Door, Pistol Pete's, Scratch Daniels and The Library in the Hotel Syracuse. Can't forget the notorious Sammy Kee's, Red Rooster and Frankie's

Here's a few more "watering holes" from the past: Benham's, the old Walter Whites Tavern, Tecumseh(TC). Downtown was Johnny Lamp's, Copper Kettle, The Back Door, Pistol Pete's, Scratch Daniels and The Library in the Hotel Syracuse. Can't forget the notorious Sammy Kee's, Red Rooster and Frankie's

Ahh, forgot about Frankies. Went there often as they sponsored our softball team.

How are you all remembering all of these places ... I'm getting a hangover just thinking about them all. Worst we have been to all them, obviously. I was looking through my yearbook and now I understand all references to drinking and parties! Even worse we were all probably at the same place at the same time at one point ... Those downtown sites like Jack Daniels and Johnny Lamps came a little later ... the Copper Kettle is still there of course (isn't it?). There was also a little place in the Eastwood Plaza ... good for dancing and drinks ... anybody been there? I forgot the name ... maybe one already mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom