Gene Fisch | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Gene Fisch

There was the Scotch and Stein in a Plaza on James Street in Eastwood. The Copper Kettle is now The Ale and Angus Pub.

Way back...even before my time, there was a place called The Grotto in Eastwood Plaza...I think?

It was the Scotch and Stein ... thanks again Coz. You had to drive down the small street to the west of the Plaza and enter there ... as I recall. Wasn't a big deal place and lasted on our "to go"list for only a couple of months.

If I remember correctly, Bob Kallfelz (maybe the Parochial League's greatest player) was a part owner/bartender at the Scotch & Stein and I think The Grotto was the name of the place before it became The Scotch. Also, The Downtown Quarterback, off of Butternut Street, did pretty well for a couple of years in the early 70's.

After high school games we'd head to Danzer's, Tino's or I think it was called the Rustic Inn. The best food always seemed to be on the Northside.

ahh the old danzers---they have never duplicated the original corned beef sandwich or the atmosphere---which was perfect---my dad after going to the origianal farmers market, would bring home that sandwich---it could feed 4 people.---the new improved danzers is no where near the old one--but then again ----what place is.
the old farmers market had puppies to give away,live chickens to take home , and dad used to barter for everything! it was cold as ... in the winter. i go there now everytime i'm there just to buy the cheese and double yoke eggs. they used to sell christmas trees at mc carthur stadium,

What used to be The Rustic Inn is now Dominick's on Burnet Ave. There was also the Caroma at the corner of Oak and Lodi.

Yes... Definitely Danzers after games ... sat in the back room. What was that "special"drink that they had ... it came in a big glass... I think it was beer and somethng else. Also Southern Comfort and beer and the Big O. those I remember well. Yes, the old Rustic Inn is now Dominick's.

Had to come back on ... remembered what the big drink was at Danzers ... raspberry beer with a corned beef sandwich with sauerkraut.

A couple of more ancient bars...Andre's Tic Toc Club...The Coda in Fairmount.

I know of them because my older brothers used to frequent them now and then.

A couple of more ancient bars...Andre's Tic Toc Club...The Coda in Fairmount.

I know of them because my older brothers used to frequent them now and then.

There was a place in Fairmount ... that was beforeit was so highly developed ... you had to drive off the main road and drive a tad to the backon dirt as I recall ... forgot the name of it tho.

There was a place in Fairmount ... that was beforeit was so highly developed ... you had to drive off the main road and drive a tad to the backon dirt as I recall ... forgot the name of it tho.

Maybe Hewitt's? It was where Office Max is across the street from Fairmont Fair.

Maybe Hewitt's? It was where Office Max is across the street from Fairmont Fair.
dances on friday and sunday and sunday afternoon--sam and the twisters played there a couple of times---one guy played behind his neck----and there was always a drum solo----originaly hewitt owned a fish fry at what is stones thrower park on tipphill--across from hennigers market that became gridleys market(or vice- versa)

dances on friday and sunday and sunday afternoon--sam and the twisters played there a couple of times---one guy played behind his neck----and there was always a drum solo----originaly hewitt owned a fish fry at what is stones thrower park on tipphill--across from hennigers market that became gridleys market(or vice- versa)

He actually owned Nibsy's for a while too.

Yes ... I remember now it was Hewitts's ... the dances rang the bell b/c it was the only thing going on on Sundays.

as this thread has ended ----it needs the final THANK YOU GENE FISCH--FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE MEMORIES OF US ALL

Great thread!! Thanks for the memories!
Yes, great thread. I didn't attend high school in the Syracuse area but came here in 1972 to attend SU from Schenectady. Looks like you guys had some great times and that we had some similar experiences. It brings back lots of memories.

It was a little dinky bar on the hill going up W. Fayette? I got my first drink there at the bar at the rpeold age of 14. How could you possibly know Johnny Sands and Don Zogg ... as well as the Elmwood Animals? I won't go into my history there. Went to school with them and "befriended" them when I went to Roosevelt.

Coz, don't tell me you are from the South side.

There was another bar near Dooleyz etc (which was on the corner) but down the street on W. Fayette by the bridge, it was called the Poverty Pub. My husbands first job after college was bartending there because no one would hire him because he had a low number in the draft. I never went in there myself.

Hi Cheri ... and I thought the thread was dead ... glad its not. No, this bar was up W. Fayette almost at the end and sat under the houses on the hill above ... I actually think that it is still there.

War stories...from the front...Poor House West..Circa 1972...Layla probably blasting on the juke box.

I spent a lot of nights in the PHW...I still remember one of the most embarrassing pitches that I ever saw. This tall blonde came into the PHW one night. The place was packed. I was standing in the back by the coin operated amusement machines (foosball or whatever) watching a couple of friends play. A wave of energy kind of drifted over the crowd. Hard not to catch the vibe.

This girl was very noticeable...around 5' 10"..(good looking, but I didn't think she was that good looking) a Paris Hilton type before PH was born.. she wasn't a regular.

When she walked into the place the guys near the entrance take notice and a number of them start jockeying for position. Almost paparazzi like.

The blonde makes her way through the crowd with a bunch of guys following her and ends up standing about 5 feet from me. Guys are clumsily trying to make conversation.

Above the din I see this obviously desperate, really short guy, look up at her and say in a sickening plea .."Hi, my name is *****...how about you and I go to my place and I'll make you a steak dinner!" No response, no surprise.

He wasn't drunk and he wasn't trying to be funny. I felt a little sorry for him. but at the same time I almost barfed. One of the lamest pitches I ever heard.

Hopefully he's not a reader of this forum.

That was Dooleyz. Greg Blaich, the former ref owned it at one time (he also owned a bar called Blaich's on W. Fayette in the bloch east of Geddes by Case Supply) . Now Jerry Roach owns it and calls it George O'Deas. So many bars in that area, Wheelers, Nibsys, Colemans, Blarney Stone then that place called the Shamrock or something up and across from the old Gridley's market etc. Then there was The Office/Fishers on the corner of Fay Rd and Salisbury. I remember when I was a kid the old James Restaurant where they had natural springs all around it built into the hill on Grand Ave near Avery.

That was Dooleyz. Greg Blaich, the former ref owned it at one time (he also owned a bar called Blaich's on W. Fayette in the bloch east of Geddes by Case Supply) . Now Jerry Roach owns it and calls it George O'Deas. So many bars in that area, Wheelers, Nibsys, Colemans, Blarney Stone then that place called the Shamrock or something up and across from the old Gridley's market etc. Then there was The Office/Fishers on the corner of Fay Rd and Salisbury. I remember when I was a kid the old James Restaurant where they had natural springs all around it built into the hill on Grand Ave near Avery.
johnny mantle's creek across the street used to get cat tails there (punks) james rock spring's? friday night fish dinners, marble farms ice cream down the road.--bottom of burnet park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom