General baseball question… | Syracusefan.com

General baseball question…

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I don’t pay attention across the board as I used to, but I noticed something with my Orioles, and am wondering if others think it’s an overall trend, or team by team:
the biggest plus the Orioles #1 pick this year has is speed. He is not a power guy, at all. If is seemingly Vince Coleman like. Also, the Orioles have been running more the last year or two. I also read an article how the O’s are trying to hit the ball up the middle to keep rallies going, rather than rely on the HR. (Earl Weaver rolling over in his grave.)

Are the new rules, which take away the shift, limit pick off throws, etc, bringing baseball, as a whole, back to the traditional style of play?

I don’t pay attention across the board as I used to, but I noticed something with my Orioles, and am wondering if others think it’s an overall trend, or team by team:
the biggest plus the Orioles #1 pick this year has is speed. He is not a power guy, at all. If is seemingly Vince Coleman like. Also, the Orioles have been running more the last year or two. I also read an article how the O’s are trying to hit the ball up the middle to keep rallies going, rather than rely on the HR. (Earl Weaver rolling over in his grave.)

Are the new rules, which take away the shift, limit pick off throws, etc, bringing baseball, as a whole, back to the traditional style of play?
Stealing is definitely up. I think it's a combination on limiting the pick off throws and increasing the size of the bags. The success rate is up as well, or at least it was the last time I checked earlier in the year. I'm sure the analytic guys aren't too happy about the uptick in steal attempts, but it does this old baseball fan's heart good.

guys didnt run ,pitchers lost how to control that part of the game.. Then they made it easier a small bit and more guys are running.

Stealing is definitely up. I think it's a combination on limiting the pick off throws and increasing the size of the bags. The success rate is up as well, or at least it was the last time I checked earlier in the year. I'm sure the analytic guys aren't too happy about the uptick in steal attempts, but it does this old baseball fan's heart good.
Yeah the base size and limiting the pick offs is a game changer for steal attempts. Makes sense

Here is an interesting article about this year's Braves team. Power and speed. Means nothing if they don't win it all.

Enrique Bradfield was selected by the Orioles as the 17th pick for a # of reasons. Mainly, speed and defense and he is a true leadoff hitter that can move to the nine hole slot if slumping. He already has 25 steals in 25 games at Class A and he is an OBP machine with a .473 OBP. He is more of a comp to Kenny Lofton than Vince Coleman (who was a DBag by the way). In a 110 PA's, this year he has 25 walks and 16k's. Before Donnie chimes in, I know these #'s are from a small sample size but the are consistent with what he did in the SEC as a three year starter. He was signed for over $4m and the fact that the cheap Orioles also invested heavily to move the left field wall back and raise the wall to make it more pitcher friendly, This is the guy you want patrolling CF. He just moved to A+ and he is not expected to be called up until 2026. Lastly, Earl Weaver would love this guy as Earl loved the three run homer and it's impossible to do that without baserunners and this guy gets on base. He has a number of prospects ahead of him that might make him a good trade chip as well.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting article about this year's Braves team. Power and speed. Means nothing if they don't win it all.

No, they aren’t. They won’t score 1000 runs and probably will finish behind the 98 Yankees and 96 Mariners in runs scored. They’re 80 behind the 98 Yankees 965 right now with 11 games to go and 108 behind the 96 Mariners.

Enrique Bradfield was selected by the Orioles as the 17th pick for a # of reasons. Mainly, speed and defense and he is a true leadoff hitter that can move to the nine hole slot if slumping. He already has 25 steals in 25 games at Class A and he is an OBP machine with a .473 OBP. He is more of a comp to Kenny Lofton than Vince Coleman (who was a DBag by the way). In a 110 PA's, this year he has 25 walks and 16k's. Before Donnie chimes in, I know these #'s are from a small sample size but the are consistent with what he did in the SEC as a three year starter. He was signed for over $4m and the fact that the cheap Orioles also invested heavily to move the left field wall back and raise the wall to make it more pitcher friendly, This is the guy you want patrolling CF. He just moved to A+ and he is not expected to be called up until 2026. Lastly, Earl Weaver would love this guy as Earl loved the three run homer and it's impossible to do that without baserunners and this guy gets on base. He has a number of prospects ahead of him that might make him a good trade chip as well.
Saw a video where he scored from 2nd on a bunt (not well played by the defense, to be sure)

No, they aren’t. They won’t score 1000 runs and probably will finish behind the 98 Yankees and 96 Mariners in runs scored. They’re 80 behind the 98 Yankees 965 right now with 11 games to go and 108 behind the 96 Mariners.
Since I can't read the article, I'll just note that The Big Red Machine was a great and well rounded offensive team.
One thing the article talks about is how they can be the first team to have a slugging percentage over .500, where 15 of the 30 teams don't even have one guy over that mark. And how they are leading the majors in home runs by 50. I'm not a Braves fan, but Acuna is a major talent and doing things never done before.

Last edited:
One thing the article talks about is how they can be the first team to have a slugging percentage over .500, where 15 of the 30 teams don't even have one guy over that mark. And how they are leading the majors in home runs by 50. I'm not a Braves fan, but Acuna is a major talent and doing things never done before.
Acuna first player to 40/60. Just having a great season.

I was aware of his #s, but thanks. Also, Ty Cobb was a DBag, but he could hit.

Acuna first player to 40/60. Just having a great season.

So who is the MVP? Betts or Acuna? I'm a Braves fan, so I admit I'm biased, But when looking at the year Acuna has had, it's just insane that someone else is having a comparable year that it's even a debate. Kudos to both guys. It's been fun to watch.

1998 and 1996 were the height of the offensive boom in baseball. I would think relative to league average the Braves are ahead of both.

1998 and 1996 were the height of the offensive boom in baseball. I would think relative to league average the Braves are ahead of both.
I'm probably somewhat biased as I find teams that score the majority of their runs via home runs boring. The 98 yankees had nearly 100 less homeruns and still scored 50 more runs. Their OBP was over 20 points higher than the Braves. I don't disagree that the Braves have assembled the greatest home run hitting team of all time.

The Matt Olson signing is some amazing scouting. I thought the contract was crazy and he was a Nathaniel Lowe type player. I also thought Vaughn Grissom was going to have a breakout year. Just a deep team.

The Braves stats are how I imagined the Padres to be this year.

Last edited:

The new rules in general have been absolutely great. Only in my 30s and played in college and had pretty much gave up on caring about baseball. Moved to MD last year and got partial seasons to the Os because they were cheap, could get from home to Camden in 30 mins or less compared to an hour for the Nats despite being about 20 miles from each and they had a bunch of interesting kids on the way up. Fast forward to this year and my wife (a life long Yankee fan) and I have had the most fun we've ever had watching baseball. The new rules not only made the games quicker but also injected more action with the shift regulations and the incentives to be aggressive on the bases. Basically went from not caring about baseball and not watching a full 9 inning game(even the ones I attended) in the last 5+ years to now attending around 20 games this year, checking box scores or games every night and spending a crap ton of money on playoff tickets when they went on sale last week. Will be at Camden tonight hoping to see them clinch the 1 seed in the AL and if they don't, then I'll be there tomorrow to see it and if they don't, then I'll be there Friday to see it.

The new rules in general have been absolutely great. Only in my 30s and played in college and had pretty much gave up on caring about baseball. Moved to MD last year and got partial seasons to the Os because they were cheap, could get from home to Camden in 30 mins or less compared to an hour for the Nats despite being about 20 miles from each and they had a bunch of interesting kids on the way up. Fast forward to this year and my wife (a life long Yankee fan) and I have had the most fun we've ever had watching baseball. The new rules not only made the games quicker but also injected more action with the shift regulations and the incentives to be aggressive on the bases. Basically went from not caring about baseball and not watching a full 9 inning game(even the ones I attended) in the last 5+ years to now attending around 20 games this year, checking box scores or games every night and spending a crap ton of money on playoff tickets when they went on sale last week. Will be at Camden tonight hoping to see them clinch the 1 seed in the AL and if they don't, then I'll be there tomorrow to see it and if they don't, then I'll be there Friday to see it.
Congratulations on picking the right team in the right season. I was unable to get down to Camden this year. I might try for playoffs. Will depend in part on when my daughter-in-law has her baby. My son doesn’t want to leave her for a weekend until after.

Congratulations on picking the right team in the right season. I was unable to get down to Camden this year. I might try for playoffs. Will depend in part on when my daughter-in-law has her baby. My son doesn’t want to leave her for a weekend until after.
Fun last night but Red Sox couldn't get the job done against Tampa. Now get to hopefully take them out tonight and celebrate.

Fun last night but Red Sox couldn't get the job done against Tampa. Now get to hopefully take them out tonight and celebrate.
I happened to golf with a guy who is a D2 baseball coach in Oklahoma. Asked him about Jackson Holliday. He had seen him and actually has met his dad. Said the kid is absolute stud. Thinks that based on his frame and size of his father, he will likely grow into a corner infielder or outfielder.
It will be interesting because the O’s have three potential ML all-star caliber shortstops in their system. (Henderson, Holliday, and Ortiz).
Then, they have really good prospects at 2nd base.
I could see Henderson at 3rd, Ortiz at SS and Holliday at 1st.

Jackson Holliday is off to great start, but I'd be surprised if he grows into a frame that could support the strength that his dad had. Jackson's brother Ethan is one of the highest ranked HS prospects in the class of 2025. He is unit at 6'4 / 205 lbs. with the frame to carry addition weight.
He has a scholarship offer from Oklahoma State (like Jackson had) where his Uncle is the coach. I could see him going in the top 3 when he comes out. Did your golf partner say anything about Ethan?

Jackson Holliday is off to great start, but I'd be surprised if he grows into a frame that could support the strength that his dad had. Jackson's brother Ethan is one of the highest ranked HS prospects in the class of 2025. He is unit at 6'4 / 205 lbs. with the frame to carry addition weight.
He has a scholarship offer from Oklahoma State (like Jackson had) where his Uncle is the coach. I could see him going in the top 3 when he comes out. Did your golf partner say anything about Ethan?
No, and I didn’t know about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom