generating money for facilities | Syracusefan.com

generating money for facilities

upperdeck

Living Legend
if money is the big issue why has so little been done to actually ask for money other than try to get the big fish to donate?

there are between 40-50K season ticket holders for bball and fball on the mens side alone. do they sell season passes for lax or womens sports?

Why has there not been an effort to notify the season ticket holder base of the need to upgrade and ask for help. Ask for donations $25-$50-$100 to help the program. Offer some perks. Offer everyone a free ticket to a game who donates. let people in early to a game and do something on the replay boards.give us a walk thru the new facilities.

if you could get 50-70% of the people to donate $50 you net a million. try to get a big donor or 2 to match what is raised then the people and the donor see everyone is vested. what ever the money brings in use it and name something after the fans that raised the money so the little people feel like we did something.

put donation barrels around the dome for every game. if you avg net 5K a game over the 50 games that adds up.. just think off the wall.

what happened to the 50/50 they used to do? we make $500-1000 a game during hockey season with only 3500 people

had we been doing the small stuff for the last years we probably have 5 million raised already.

Good questions.

Chris Gedney Senior Associate Athletics Director - Orange Club cjgedney 1419

Marc Donabella Associate Director of Athletics/Director of Marketing 2838

Development - Orange Club / Varsity Club (315) 443-1419
Jeremiah Maher Associate Athletics Director for Ticket Operations jjmaher 2121
Matt Palumb Assistant Athletics Director for Donor Relations mhpalumb 2618
Jason Poles Assistant Athletics Director for Major Gifts japoles 226
Wendy Coher Director of Premium Seating wmcoher 1419
April Maw Donor Programs and Special Events Coordinator aamaw 6194
Mary Dunham Executive Assistant for Orange Club mjdunham 1419

Corporate Sponsorships - Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing - (315) 445-2500
Joe Baldini General Manager, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing joe.baldini@imgworld.com 445-2500
Chris Helsel Senior Account Manager, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing chris.helsel@imgworld.com 445-2500
Jason Thomas Senior Account Executive, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing jason.thomas@imgworld.com 445-2500
Pete Sachs Senior Account Executive, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing 445-2500
CJ Watson Partner Services Coordinator, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing CJ.Watson@imgworld.com 445-2500

Marketing - (315) 443-3042
Lael Gross Assistant Director of Athletics/Trademark Licensing lchealan 3929
Jennifer Falco Marketing and Sponsorship Coordinator jmfalco 5744
Brenna McConaughey Marketing and Event Coordinator bmmccona 7673

I always had the sense that SU felt it didn't have (and couldn't afford) the manpower to manage that kind of campaign. Even Gedney has 2 jobs, he still has to prepare for the games each week on the radio. I know that's not a full year full time job, but during the season, it has to take away much of his time. Now that Shafer has opened the doors to all former players, hopefully that part of Gedney's fund raising role can be his focus, and he'll get great results. Bring them in for a visit in the fall, taking in a game, talking to the team, make Marvin Harrison go through a metal detector, show their family where they played, leave a check on the way out.

The ACC $ should help them staff this out a bit to go grassroots on those fans/alums who were not former players.

I still can't help but wonder where all the extra ACC $ will go. If we were truly running the Athletic Department in the black with BE Conference $, then there has to be a bit of a windfall, right? Will any of that money be invested in capital projects? I'm admitting I have no clue how that stuff works, all I know is that $19M per year is more than $4M per year.

Then hire someone who does not have a second job to run the show.

They need someone dedicated.

Shitshow in that department

I always had the sense that SU felt it didn't have (and couldn't afford) the manpower to manage that kind of campaign. Even Gedney has 2 jobs, he still has to prepare for the games each week on the radio. I know that's not a full year full time job, but during the season, it has to take away much of his time. Now that Shafer has opened the doors to all former players, hopefully that part of Gedney's fund raising role can be his focus, and he'll get great results. Bring them in for a visit in the fall, taking in a game, talking to the team, make Marvin Harrison go through a metal detector, show their family where they played, leave a check on the way out.

The ACC $ should help them staff this out a bit to go grassroots on those fans/alums who were not former players.

I still can't help but wonder where all the extra ACC $ will go. If we were truly running the Athletic Department in the black with BE Conference $, then there has to be a bit of a windfall, right? Will any of that money be invested in capital projects? I'm admitting I have no clue how that stuff works, all I know is that $19M per year is more than $4M per year.

as time goes by, it's only going to get louder and louder. if they don't spend the money from the acc in visible ways to help the sports programs, it's just going to further cement in the communities mind that SU has all this money and doesn't spend it and why should i give them another penny etc

everyone knows there's more money.

throw the silly rules out the window. forget what other schools do. conjure up the old mom asking the kid if they'd jump off bridge because other kids are

we are trying to raise millions and they dont want to spend 1-200K on a few people to get it done?

as time goes by, it's only going to get louder and louder. if they don't spend the money from the acc in visible ways to help the sports programs, it's just going to further cement in the communities mind that SU has all this money and doesn't spend it and why should i give them another penny etc

everyone knows there's more money.

throw the silly rules out the window. forget what other schools do. conjure up the old mom asking the kid if they'd jump off bridge because other kids are

And by hiring from within for the football team, you can't say you had to use the $ to get a big time coach to come here. Not that I disagree with the choice, just saying. I'm sure we're paying closer to market for the new assistants, but how much of the additional $ does that take?

I would guess people don't care so much about how Alabama does business. It's easy to find out that the ACC is getting you anywhere in the range of $10 to $15M (maybe more) per year in revenue, so the first question most potential low to mid level donors will ask is 'what about the ACC money?'. They need to be prepared to answer that question in a way that says they need private donations to compete.

we need to start merging these carbon copies.

we are trying to raise millions and they dont want to spend 1-200K on a few people to get it done?

Like I said the issue is administrative. They could break ground tomorrow if they wanted to. The goal is to fleece a community desparate for a strong football program. They will pocket all current profits, ACC money, Meadowlands money, the upcoming stupid MSG/St. Johns basketball series, and ask fans/donors to pay for a new facility while our local media looks the other way and compares where we are to other programs in the nation.

I see us at the bottom of ever facility and coaching salary list but when I look at revenue and attendance lists we are middle of the row to upper echelon (basketball). Does not add up at a glance and would be more glaring with a full examination.

we need to start merging these carbon copies.

I'm sure you could consolidate that last 2-3 weeks into 3 threads. Personally, I think some of those threads (except the things ending worse than the Marrone era) get too long to keep track of.

I'm sure you could consolidate that last 2-3 weeks into 3 threads. Personally, I think some of those threads (except the things ending worse than the Marrone era) get too long to keep track of.

pretty much every idea and or question in the op is addressed in a current active thread.

Like I said the issue is administrative. They could break ground tomorrow if they wanted to.

no they couldn't.

pretty much every idea and or question in the op is addressed in a current active thread.

I hadn't even read the whole post, or maybe he edited and added more, not sure. I didn't even catch the barrels around the Dome part. I already replied to that thought yesterday! So yes, I agree. I blame upprdeck completely, and take no blame for replying.

I hadn't even read the whole post, or maybe he edited and added more, not sure. I didn't even catch the barrels around the Dome part. I already replied to that thought yesterday! So yes, I agree. I blame upprdeck completely, and take no blame for replying.

lol. i could care less if a thread subject comes up 10x. it's the ones that result in pissing contest that are a pita.

If some athletic improvements were done as part of the $1B endowment drive (as Duke has done), many people would be able to have their donation matched by their employer. By having the IPF drive be run as a purely-athletic fund raiser, the employer match goes out the window.

My questions...Is there really an issue with facilities? If you answer yes, then please provide sources.

I have seen numerous posts/threads on people saying we have recruiting problems because of our facilities, but where is proof? I agree everyone WANTS the latest and greatest, but do we NEED it?

Also, see numerous posts/threads about poor fund raising...but is the reason that there is not a lot of fund raising going on because the AD/administration does not see an issue with or need for facilities at this time?

I do not know the answers to these questions, but it seems people are just throwing things out there without getting to really specific questions and finding out the answers. Maybe the feedback we are getting from recruits is not about the athletic facilities, but other areas as well. I don't know without being privy to the inner workings of the administration/decision making offices.

Also, I know we as fans want instant results/gratification...however we just had some major turnover on the football side...I think we should let the new recruiters complete this cycle and maybe the next, getting feedback on why recruits picked or didn't pick SU...then the school find out specifically what is working and what is not and better target their fund raising efforts, if needed. As I have stated in another thread, if I was wealthy enough to donate a large sum money to the school, I would want to know specifically what the problem is, the plan to fix it and what exactly the money I am donating would be used for. I woulkd be very hesitant to donate money to a a perceived general issue, general plan and not have any idea if the money I am donating is being put towards the most good...

My questions...Is there really an issue with facilities? If you answer yes, then please provide sources.

I have seen numerous posts/threads on people saying we have recruiting problems because of our facilities, but where is proof? I agree everyone WANTS the latest and greatest, but do we NEED it?

Also, see numerous posts/threads about poor fund raising...but is the reason that there is not a lot of fund raising going on because the AD/administration does not see an issue with or need for facilities at this time?

I do not know the answers to these questions, but it seems people are just throwing things out there without getting to really specific questions and finding out the answers. Maybe the feedback we are getting from recruits is not about the athletic facilities, but other areas as well. I don't know without being privy to the inner workings of the administration/decision making offices.

Also, I know we as fans want instant results/gratification...however we just had some major turnover on the football side...I think we should let the new recruiters complete this cycle and maybe the next, getting feedback on why recruits picked or didn't pick SU...then the school find out specifically what is working and what is not and better target their fund raising efforts, if needed. As I have stated in another thread, if I was wealthy enough to donate a large sum money to the school, I would want to know specifically what the problem is, the plan to fix it and what exactly the money I am donating would be used for. I woulkd be very hesitant to donate money to a a perceived general issue, general plan and not have any idea if the money I am donating is being put towards the most good...

The only thing we NEED, is better rehab/med facilites. A dedicated IBF would be NICE (and it is justified IMO), but is not NEEDED since we have 2 IPF's now. Everything else is just cosmetic improvements that some would LIKE. Unless people want to tear down Manley and start over.

Bottom line, over the next 4 years, the ACC TV contract alone is $40 M that we didn't have before. That is certainly enough for a high quality IPF with all the bells and whistles. Build it right the first time and it won't be outdated anytime soon. What are they going to do with the extra money? Or will it be business as usual and be over my simpleton head. I understand if they are trying to save for a new stadium and that is where the money is going. IMO, the Dome is in a very illogical spot (which is a completely diff disscusion).

Has anyone from the university even adressed what will be done with the extra revenue? What we don't need are more dead weight sports that keep athletic departments from paying athletes (which is another disscusion).

Bottom line, over the next 4 years, the ACC TV contract alone is $40 M that we didn't have before. That is certainly enough for a high quality IPF with all the bells and whistles. Build it right the first time and it won't be outdated anytime soon. What are they going to do with the extra money? Or will it be business as usual and be over my simpleton head. I understand if they are trying to save for a new stadium and that is where the money is going. IMO, the Dome is in a very illogical spot (which is a completely diff disscusion).

Has anyone from the university even adressed what will be done with the extra revenue? What we don't need are more dead weight sports that keep athletic departments from paying athletes (which is another disscusion).

You don't spend what you don't have.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Good questions.

Development - Orange Club / Varsity Club (315) 443-1419
Jeremiah Maher Associate Athletics Director for Ticket Operations jjmaher 2121
Matt Palumb Assistant Athletics Director for Donor Relations mhpalumb 2618
Jason Poles Assistant Athletics Director for Major Gifts japoles 226
Wendy Coher Director of Premium Seating wmcoher 1419
April Maw Donor Programs and Special Events Coordinator aamaw 6194
Mary Dunham Executive Assistant for Orange Club mjdunham 1419

Corporate Sponsorships - Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing - (315) 445-2500
Joe Baldini General Manager, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing joe.baldini@imgworld.com 445-2500
Chris Helsel Senior Account Manager, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing chris.helsel@imgworld.com 445-2500
Jason Thomas Senior Account Executive, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing jason.thomas@imgworld.com 445-2500
Pete Sachs Senior Account Executive, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing 445-2500
CJ Watson Partner Services Coordinator, Syracuse IMG Sports Marketing CJ.Watson@imgworld.com 445-2500

Marketing - (315) 443-3042
Lael Gross Assistant Director of Athletics/Trademark Licensing lchealan 3929
Jennifer Falco Marketing and Sponsorship Coordinator jmfalco 5744
Brenna McConaughey Marketing and Event Coordinator bmmccona 7673
Marc Donabella. Is a tool. Worthless administrator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom