Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

We all need to stop thinking we can be a tourney team next year with Howard as our starting PG.

It's not going to happen.
We're not the kind of program that should be going into any season assuming we won't make the tourney. If what you're saying is true, then JB needs to go. Because if he doesn't believe Frank Howard can step up as PG next season, then he should have been pursuing a top flight grad transfer PG. However, I trust JB to make the correct evaluation here about our needs. Let's see how this plays out with Thorpe and Ayala.

get the strong sense that JB has decided no more grad xfers

think we gonna roll w Howard/Battle/Washington backcourt plus Hughes for practices

hope not, Washington is going to be a very solid PG IMO, but can't see him being ready next season, and sorry but Frank is a stiff, on and off the court. I hope we go after this kid

hope not, Washington is going to be a very solid PG IMO, but can't see him being ready next season, and sorry but Frank is a stiff, on and off the court. I hope we go after this kid

I think Washington will be ready to back up both spots if needed and play say 10-15min a game. My worry is if Frank Frank's again this season is he ready to take the reigns at the point.

get the strong sense that JB has decided no more grad xfers

think we gonna roll w Howard/Battle/Washington backcourt plus Hughes for practices

I strongly disagree with this decision. Unless the schedule has changed and we're playing South Carolina State 30 times. Hope Frank proves me wrong.

I think Washington will be ready to back up both spots if needed and play say 10-15min a game. My worry is if Frank Frank's again this season is he ready to take the reigns at the point.
My concern with Washington is his defense out of the gate. We cannot afford to have a bad defensive team this year. The offense will not be nearly as good and we need to hold people down. If we had had Thorpe and Battle up front and a rotation of Sidibe, Brissett, Moyer at the forward positions we would be in good shape. I'm really hoping that TT improves and can play the middle.

Scenario:

We go with 3 guards and we don't get much production from our point guards.

Midway through the season JB bemoans the fact that our PGs aren't playing well but there's not much he can do about it; they're all we have.
Are you suggesting he's doing this on purpose for the built-in excuse?

We all need to stop thinking we can be a tourney team next year with Howard as our starting PG.

It's not going to happen.

Welp, might as well sleep through the season, or forfeit. I don't understand why people think he has no chance of improving, and doing a well enough job for us to make the Tourney. To each their own. I'm just looking forward to the never Frankers response when he has a good year.

Welp, might as well sleep through the season, or forfeit. I don't understand why people think he has no chance of improving, and doing a well enough job for us to make the Tourney. To each their own. I'm just looking forward to the never Frankers response when he has a good year.

I will be happy as hell to be wrong about Frank and will openly admit that I was a moron about it. After all, I am surrounded by nothing but women in my house, I am used to having to admit I am a moron, even if I wasn't being one.

It's not so much anti-Frank; it's that he still hasn't been able to get it done, consistently, at this level - yet.
Along with the locker room issues, horrible body language/attitude, etc.

And there's zero guarantee that the upcoming season will be any different.

I doubt that ANYBODY is hoping or wishing for Frank to fail, or not to improve.
It's just that nobody is holding their breath waiting for it.

It would be really, REALLY good to have another guard on the roster, just in case Frank fails to improve, or in case HW isn't quite ready, or Battle gets sick or injured, or...

... and as of right now, we don't have that other guard.
That's scary.

I agree with the concerns, and everything said. Especially the women part, but I digress.

I know all fans would love to be wrong about Frank. Well except us that believe in him. Just think so many have absolutely thrown in the towel on him is all. We do need another guard, so not pursuing Thorpe is baffling.

Last year our guards in May were a questionable Frank as a sophomore and a freshman Tyus Battle. We added a 5th YR Transfer.

JB had no problem going with 3 guards last year.

Sophomore Battle will be better than Freshman Battle. Junior Frank should be better than Sophomore Frank.

But Gillon saved our butt last year when Frank wasn't playing well - I guess JB trusts Howard Washington to be able to the do the same. EIther that or he thinks Frank will have a breakout year.

I agree with the concerns, and everything said. Especially the women part, but I digress.

I know all fans would love to be wrong about Frank. Well except us that believe in him. Just think so many have absolutely thrown in the towel on him is all. We do need another guard, so not pursuing Thorpe is baffling.
Ayala leaving us in limbo I think is what is keeping us away from Thorpe. It is not a good strategy, but we can only hope that either -

a) the staff is confident in getting Ayala
or
b) if Ayala decides to stay in 2018, the staff is confident that they can come calling whenever they want and Thorpe will listen.

I don't agree with it, but that's probably what's going on

I hope not we need Thorpe bad, I think with Thorpe we make tourney next year and load up in 18

Not sure if anyone is aware, but Frank Howards per 40min stats are nearly identical to MCW per 40 stats.
Maybe he doesn't pass the eyeball test but he is just as productive as Carter-Williams was.

Not sure if anyone is aware, but Frank Howards per 40min stats are nearly identical to MCW per 40 stats.
Maybe he doesn't pass the eyeball test but he is just as productive as Carter-Williams was.

Those stats were very inflated from the early season when he played more minutes and did well. I don't question that he has the ability to be productive. I question weather or not he can apply it. PG's don't pick the ball up when ever they aren't sure where to go with it or what to do with it. They dribble around until they find a lane or an open man. He can be a productive PG this year I just don't feel comfortable betting the season on him being that.

Disagree. Despite some level of similarity, MCW had higher usage %, lower TO%, higher effective FG %, etc.

Disagree. Despite some level of similarity, MCW had higher usage %, lower TO%, higher effective FG %, etc.
Both their sophmore year per 40 stats

Howard 11.2pts 4.1reb 9.0ast 2.9stl 4.3TO .353fg .3163pt .623FT

Williams 13.5pts 5.6reb 8.3ast 3.1stl 3.9TO .393fg .2943pt .694FT

This is also considering Howard was in a battle with Gillon to be the main PG. He had a pretty short leash.
MCW had the job to himself. Never had to worry.

Those stats were very inflated from the early season when he played more minutes and did well. I don't question that he has the ability to be productive. I question weather or not he can apply it. PG's don't pick the ball up when ever they aren't sure where to go with it or what to do with it. They dribble around until they find a lane or an open man. He can be a productive PG this year I just don't feel comfortable betting the season on him being that.

Exactly - I was actually really encouraged with some of Frank's early season play but then we stopped playing cupcake city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom