Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

I think we should sign Geno Thorpe and pull the Ayala offer. Go hard after Carey and like 3 other PG for next year. The first kid in that group to commit to us we grab. I know it's easy to say this in hindsight but we should have committed to Isaiah Washington and went back to Quade and said you sign or we are going to go with Isaiah. We should do that with Carey. The reality is it will be between us and Kansas for him probably and if Kansas is still going at it with Nova for Quinerly then we would have an advantage if we played it this way.

JB: I'm only going to play 6 guys anyway, so what do I need this guy for? Frank and Tyus will play 38mins per game until their tongues hang out; and if we lose one of them, we fold up the season, easy peasy...
That's great if no one gets injured or sick. Battle has been injury prone and that alone would blow up the season.

Maybe JB has that much faith in Frank upping his game?:noidea:

I wonder if Frank will regain some confidence and play better if JB is not going to have the luxury to pull him after 30 secs. I feel like Gillon played better (at times) when he knew he was not going to get pulled over every little thing.

I guess it makes sense if you assume the following:

1. Frank Howard is the starting PG (or at least gets a chance to win the job)
2. Battle will not play SF under any circumstance

I'm not saying I agree with passing on Thorpe. Bringing him in would create some problems for the coaching staff, though.

I am pretty convinced that the coaching staff is waiting on EA to break our hearts or sign for 2017. That is the only explanation other than some other super secret plan of another grad transfer or 2017 PG.
I'd actually prefer Thorpe to Ayala, who we should move on from. I'd rather focus on a SG like Jones or Ryan and Carey at PG for 2018.

I guess it makes sense if you assume the following:

1. Frank Howard is the starting PG (or at least gets a chance to win the job)
2. Battle will not play SF under any circumstance

I'm not saying I agree with passing on Thorpe. Bringing him in would create some problems for the coaching staff, though.

It doesn't make sense in any senario to me unless we are 100% sure we are getting someone else as a 4th guard and we aren't sure.

Last edited:
I think we should sign Geno Thorpe and pull the Ayala offer. Go hard after Carey and like 3 other PG for next year. The first kid in that group to commit to us we grab. I know it's easy to say this in hindsight but we should have committed to Isaiah Washington and went back to Quade and said you sign or we are going to go with Isaiah. We should do that with Carey. The reality is it will be between us and Kansas for him probably and if Kansas is still going at it with Nova for Quinerly then we would have an advantage if we played it this way.
Stop with rationale posts like this. The staff doesn't want to hear or see things like this as they think they have all it all figured all the time. :bat:

It doesn't make sense in any senario to me unless we are 100% sure we are getting someone else as a 4th guard...
That goes without saying...right?

Ayala is good but he's not Trevon Duval.

Especially after getting burned by Quade - you'd hope the staff would learn about not pulling out all the stops for 1 kid without leaving yourself any backup options. Especially when that one kid is not a generational talent.

Especially after getting burned by Quade - you'd hope the staff would learn about not pulling out all the stops for 1 kid without leaving yourself any backup options. Especially when that one kid is not a generational talent.
I could not agree with you more.

Yes. The situation waiting on Ayala scares me. I don't care what he's telling who. He could get to the end of AAU ball and just decide to go back to Putnam.

Twisting in the wind is our specialty this recruiting cycle.

Patience...grasshoppers...

Oh, some of us know the score. Just want to put one in the win column. Pretty sure Thorpe will not be next for us, if we wind up landing him.

Oh, some of us know the score. Just want to put one in the win column. Pretty sure Thorpe will not be next for us, if we wind up landing him.

Which is why I voiced my concern over EA. Seems way too much like repeating past mistakes however it turns out.

Really not high on this guy. His numbers are horrible and that was against far inferior competition.

terrific free throw shooter and do you think Howard is better?

He is a great free throw shooter. I'll give him that.

Do I think Howard's better? Man, that's a tough question. No. But, I think a junior Howard can be similar to a senior Thorpe and that's enough for me to keep throwing Frank out there. We still may need Frank in 2018 as well. A full season starting could help him become a successful senior.

That's a long defense at least. Average score of games will be 18-14.

So, Delany will be drooling to add us to the B1G asap. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom