Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Both their sophmore year per 40 stats

Howard 11.2pts 4.1reb 9.0ast 2.9stl 4.3TO .353fg .3163pt .623FT

Williams 13.5pts 5.6reb 8.3ast 3.1stl 3.9TO .393fg .2943pt .694FT

This is also considering Howard was in a battle with Gillon to be the main PG. He had a pretty short leash.
MCW had the job to himself. Never had to worry.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, just that the advanced stats suggest a different story. I looked awhile back to try to convince myself of the very same notion but came away where I am now.

This is also considering Howard was in a battle with Gillon to be the main PG. He had a pretty short leash.
It's like both a liger and a cow weigh a thousand pounds, but I know which one I want to be riding when we go to war against Mexico.
Edit: not the cow, just to be clear. I haven't been training this damn liger for nothing. I named her Mittens.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, just that the advanced stats suggest a different story. I looked awhile back to try to convince myself of the very same notion but came away where I am now.
The problem is had he actually played 40 MPG, his shooting percentages and TOs would probably be much, much worse.

Yeah I hear ya. Gotta do this digging during our recruiting dry spell. Anything for some positivity lol.

To use a poker analogy for Dasher.

Frank Howard is a J-10 suited.
It could be good but I am not playing that as a starter and right now.

I hope Howard does well as we aren't going after Thorpe as we speak.

Didn't include turnovers or PFs? Frank is good for a few. Per 40 is nice way to look at stats and control for minutes played, but it overstates small sample sizes quite a bit. It's better when looking at guys who played similar minutes. Frank needs a lot of work. It would be fantastic if he were to play like a soph MCW, but you can't just grab any undersized SF and turn them into a PG by magic despite what some on here think.

Well if we just ignore that MCWs were basically playing 30+ minutes a game and included all of conference play and that Franks were more or less against the cupcakes and non-conference teams, then I guess they are similar and that they still were worse.

The posters absolutely giving up on Howard for reasons outside of discipline issues are, to me, an example of how this programs wavered into troubling times.

Yes he's a top 100 recruit. Do all 4 star recruits develop into studs by their 2nd years? No, absolutely not. Does that mean they can't become program players by their 3rd and 4th years? No.

I have faith theres a reason why JB hasn't dumped FH beyond depth issues. We need him to be a solid program/foundation guy and I think theres a 50/50 shot he achieves that.

Make remarks about how scary/whatever that reality is but I don't see the trouble in still remaining a bit glass half full with FH. He showed improvement last year, be it limited with a very short leash.

The posters absolutely giving up on Howard for reasons outside of discipline issues are, to me, an example of how this programs wavered into troubling times.

Yes he's a top 100 recruit. Do all 4 star recruits develop into studs by their 2nd years? No, absolutely not. Does that mean they can't become program players by their 3rd and 4th years? No.

I have faith theres a reason why JB hasn't dumped FH beyond depth issues. We need him to be a solid program/foundation guy and I think theres a 50/50 shot he achieves that.

Make remarks about how scary/whatever that reality is but I don't see the trouble in still remaining a bit glass half full with FH. He showed improvement last year, be it limited with a very short leash.
If Frank didn't hurt the program I would be a lot more optimistic about him.

Again our leadership was divided on to handle the FH situation and JB obviously won out.

The dude better improve off the court a lot more than on court.

If Frank didn't hurt the program I would be a lot more optimistic about him.

Again our leadership was divided on to handle the FH situation and JB obviously won out.

The dude better improve off the court a lot more than on court.

Well, regardless of a good or bad 2017/2018 outcome this decisions on JB. We seem to trust him more often than not.

Well, regardless of a good or bad 2017/2018 outcome this decisions on JB. We seem to trust him more often than not.
JB is a lot more forgiving and runs a pretty loose ship.

This is pretty obvious. Our players behave good but they are given long ropes.

Mark Titus(Ohio State walkon) from Club Trillion talked about how when we played in 2008 NIT our starting lineup was out in NYC at 11pm the night before a game and he loved that because it showed how laid back JB was. However, Thad Matta had a stricter curfew.

JB is a lot more forgiving and runs a pretty loose ship.

This is pretty obvious. Our players behave good but they are given long ropes.

Mark Titus(Ohio State walkon) from Club Trillion talked about how when we played in 2008 NIT our starting lineup was out in NYC at 11pm the night before a game and he loved that because it showed how laid back JB was. However, Thad Matta had a stricter curfew.

Some stories I wish I'd just had never heard lol

Being relaxed and chill with your players is great and all but I hope theres a method to it.

Some stories I wish I'd just had never heard lol

Being relaxed and chill with your players is great and all but I hope theres a method to it.
Titus’s Top 12 NCAA Power Rankings

As a guy who made a name for himself by being a college basketball walk-on, I feel obligated to help anyone who might want to follow in my footsteps. With that in mind, as I watched Syracuse’s two blowout wins last week, I realized that the Orange are the best team in the country to join as a walk-on. The reasoning is simple. First of all, should you choose to walk on at Syracuse, you’ll be guaranteed to play for a good team because the Orange are a national title contender almost every year. This means you’ll never be asked to contribute meaningful minutes, but even more importantly you’ll have a good chance of making the Final Four, which you can put on your résumé for the rest of your life. And believe me, even if you never set foot on the court during your career, when you graduate you will claim every team accomplishment as your own.

What separates Syracuse from other perennial title contenders is Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone. Any former walk-on at any school can explain that his role is to essentially be a human punching bag. So if you walk on for a team that plays a lot of man-to-man defense, you’ll get stuck guarding the best player several times throughout your career. From experience, I can tell you that doing so ranks somewhere between “throwing a worse first pitch than Baba Booey” and “having a paternity dispute settled on Maury” on the list of humiliating experiences. With a 2-3 zone, though, you’re far less likely to be embarrassed because it’s much easier to pass blame on to your teammates, which is really what being a walk-on is all about.

But the most important reason why Syracuse would be best for walk-ons is that, from what I can tell, Jim Boeheim is way past caring what his players do. This is anecdotal evidence, but when I was at Ohio State, we played Syracuse in Madison Square Garden in the preseason NIT one year. Both teams stayed at the same hotel in Times Square. After getting done with film around 10 p.m. the night before the game, Coach Matta said he wanted us all to go straight up to bed. My walk-on roommate and I laughed at this suggestion and instead left to explore the city since we didn’t need to get rest just to sit on the bench the next day. Anyway, as the clock neared midnight and we walked back to the hotel, we spotted a group of Syracuse players (some of whom were starters) out on the town. What they were up to I don’t know, but I do know that there are very few college basketball coaches who would be cool with their starters walking around Times Square at midnight the night before a game. If Boeheim lets this slide with his scholarship players, you can only assume how little he cares what his walk-ons do. Translation: road trips = vacations.7

So yeah. If you’re a skilled high school basketball player who is short and unathletic, you should start figuring out whose asses you need to kiss to get a walk-on spot at Syracuse. It might be the best gig in college basketball.

Titus’s Top 12 NCAA Power Rankings

As a guy who made a name for himself by being a college basketball walk-on, I feel obligated to help anyone who might want to follow in my footsteps. With that in mind, as I watched Syracuse’s two blowout wins last week, I realized that the Orange are the best team in the country to join as a walk-on. The reasoning is simple. First of all, should you choose to walk on at Syracuse, you’ll be guaranteed to play for a good team because the Orange are a national title contender almost every year. This means you’ll never be asked to contribute meaningful minutes, but even more importantly you’ll have a good chance of making the Final Four, which you can put on your résumé for the rest of your life. And believe me, even if you never set foot on the court during your career, when you graduate you will claim every team accomplishment as your own.

What separates Syracuse from other perennial title contenders is Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone. Any former walk-on at any school can explain that his role is to essentially be a human punching bag. So if you walk on for a team that plays a lot of man-to-man defense, you’ll get stuck guarding the best player several times throughout your career. From experience, I can tell you that doing so ranks somewhere between “throwing a worse first pitch than Baba Booey” and “having a paternity dispute settled on Maury” on the list of humiliating experiences. With a 2-3 zone, though, you’re far less likely to be embarrassed because it’s much easier to pass blame on to your teammates, which is really what being a walk-on is all about.

But the most important reason why Syracuse would be best for walk-ons is that, from what I can tell, Jim Boeheim is way past caring what his players do. This is anecdotal evidence, but when I was at Ohio State, we played Syracuse in Madison Square Garden in the preseason NIT one year. Both teams stayed at the same hotel in Times Square. After getting done with film around 10 p.m. the night before the game, Coach Matta said he wanted us all to go straight up to bed. My walk-on roommate and I laughed at this suggestion and instead left to explore the city since we didn’t need to get rest just to sit on the bench the next day. Anyway, as the clock neared midnight and we walked back to the hotel, we spotted a group of Syracuse players (some of whom were starters) out on the town. What they were up to I don’t know, but I do know that there are very few college basketball coaches who would be cool with their starters walking around Times Square at midnight the night before a game. If Boeheim lets this slide with his scholarship players, you can only assume how little he cares what his walk-ons do. Translation: road trips = vacations.7

So yeah. If you’re a skilled high school basketball player who is short and unathletic, you should start figuring out whose asses you need to kiss to get a walk-on spot at Syracuse. It might be the best gig in college basketball.

Thats... that's just great.

Please Geno Thorpe! As orange 79 would say take the stuff to another board!

Geno Thorpe is highly unlikely to come to Syracuse and its our decision.

There you happy. There is a reason and its more our side than him.

Damn the Thorpedoes! Full speed ahead!:rolling:
Farragut_03.jpg

Geno Thorpe is highly unlikely to come to Syracuse and its our decision.

There you happy. There is a reason and its more our side than him.
You haven't got to get all anal about it. All I was saying this is a thread about Geno Thorpe. Take the MCW/FH debate to the Basketball Board.

You haven't got to get all anal about it. All I was saying this is a thread about Geno Thorpe. Take the MCW/FH debate to the Basketball Board.
I wasn't anal but when it's good natured posts no need to make it about a player we aren't getting.

I wasn't anal but when it's good natured posts no need to make it about a player we aren't getting.
You do understand when the post in the recruiting side says that recruits name it's to discuss that recruit. Anything else goes to the BBall side. Some of us don't care to click on and read about HW/MCW stats.

Really not high on this guy. His numbers are horrible and that was against far inferior competition.

I'm not saying he is great... but why be the only one that is good in your team if you know you're gonna win maybe 5 games at the most a year. He probably played depressed the year cause he knew they would lose unless it was vs a community college. If you get him on a winning team surround but other athletes that want to win and succeed and a coach that willl teach and help him he may be something decent. Keyword there is "may"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom