Georgetown Attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Attendance

Think it may block the view of more seats behind the bleacher seating that they sell in the upper deck than it would produce in new seats. Not a worthwhile ROI

Yeah, but it would only be a visual hinderance for games like this. I can't imagine another bleacher section would be that expensive to fabricate.

Think it may block the view of more seats behind the bleacher seating that they sell in the upper deck than it would produce in new seats. Not a worthwhile ROI

We're talking about adding a few thousand premium seats at the expense of blocking a few hundred seats that would only be purchased 2x a year. Good thing you're not an accountant.

We're talking about adding a few thousand premium seats at the expense of blocking a few hundred seats that would only be purchased 2x a year. Good thing you're not an accountant.

What type of premium are you expecting from these new bleachers that will have the same proximity to the court as the exsisting upper bowl seats and how many new tickets do you expect to sell there more than 2x a year? Most games would just be folks relocating from the upper corners to the new bleachers. How much do the corners sell for and how much would you be charging for these new bleachers? It would have to be a fair amount more than the $50 per that seats in section 322-324 are currently selling for for it to be worth their while.

as per Donna D. in yesterday's Q&A: "...there have been alterations in the dome that will allow more than the record 34,616 to get in there for Georgetown."

Move the bleachers back? I don't see any other way possible.

from the map on ticket master and quick math, there doesn't seem to be more than 700 tickets available.

There are unsold seats that aren't available right now. They do this for most big games.

There are unsold seats that aren't available right now. They do this for most big games.

Well if Nova sold out 4 weeks in advance... then they probably dont hold them this long.

What type of premium are you expecting from these new bleachers that will have the same proximity to the court as the exsisting upper bowl seats and how many new tickets do you expect to sell there more than 2x a year? Most games would just be folks relocating from the upper corners to the new bleachers. How much do the corners sell for and how much would you be charging for these new bleachers? It would have to be a fair amount more than the $50 per that seats in section 322-324 are currently selling for for it to be worth their while.

The new bleachers would be priced comparable to 200-level seating or 300 A-level because the sight lines and distance are similar. The pricing would deter some 300-level patrons from relocating but more importantly encourage potential new season ticket holders who have wanted a better view but didn't previously have access.

You are also overestimating the number of seats that would be obstructed by these bleachers. Remember the 1990 Georgetown game drew 33,000 and this was with the blue curtain. So the new bleachers would add approx 3,000 seats, while obstructing maybe 1,000 of the longest range seats. Ergo, the one or two marquee games per year could draw up to 36,000. No matter how you look at it, they would turn a nice profit.

The new bleachers would be priced comparable to 200-level seating or 300 A-level because the sight lines and distance are similar. The pricing would deter some 300-level patrons from relocating but more importantly encourage potential new season ticket holders who have wanted a better view but didn't previously have access.

You are also overestimating the number of seats that would be obstructed by these bleachers. Remember the 1990 Georgetown game drew 33,000 and this was with the blue curtain. So the new bleachers would add approx 3,000 seats, while obstructing maybe 1,000 of the longest range seats. Ergo, the one or two marquee games per year could draw up to 36,000. No matter how you look at it, they would turn a nice profit.

Expansion of bleachers would be great for everyone. The Dome doesn't have room to store its current contents, though, and they're probably not interested in building something that will slow down the football/basketball turnover, either.

Expansion of bleachers would be great for everyone. The Dome doesn't have room to store its current contents, though, and they're probably not interested in building something that will slow down the football/basketball turnover, either.

They could erect it after football season is over - make it a pro-rated season package. Why would they have to store it in the dome? If they had to, there's plenty of space to store the extra equipment during summer and football season between sections 324 and 336.

They could erect it after football season is over - make it a pro-rated season package. Why would they have to store it in the dome? If they had to, there's plenty of space to store the extra equipment during summer and football season between sections 324 and 336.

I think it's a fine idea, but they seem to care most about making things as simple as possible: no curtain, no temporary video board for hoops, just roll the bleachers back and forth from the end zone and call it a day.

Move the bleachers back? I don't see any other way possible.
Really?

For record crowds:

The easy solution for high profile games is to turn the court 90°.
Back the bleachers up a bit and voila... A larger crowd (not entirely made up of long-range viewing) is attainable.

Yes, people will be sitting further away, and they may have to raise the court... but for 1 or 2 designated games a year, Syracuse will own the largest on-campus crowd. Maybe do it just once as a stunt to see how it goes... I'm sure they've both modeled it or even played with it in real life when moving the bleachers.

Alternatively, if the goal is to increase the number of quality seats for all games, add another bleacher section above/behind the TV cameras as has been mentioned above. These would be good seats that would fetch some more Preferred Seating money.

Yeah, but it would only be a visual hinderance for games like this. I can't imagine another bleacher section would be that expensive to fabricate.

Fabrication and engineering would be easy but you guys are overlooking the main issue. The current bleachers roll back into their position as end zone seats. This is an easy transition from basketball to lacrosse/football. Adding seats would not allow it to be this easy.

Really?

For record crowds:

The easy solution for high profile games is to turn the court 90°.
Back the bleachers up a bit and voila... A larger crowd (not entirely made up of long-range viewing) is attainable.

Yes, people will be sitting further away, and they may have to raise the court... but for 1 or 2 designated games a year, Syracuse will own the largest on-campus crowd. Maybe do it just once as a stunt to see how it goes... I'm sure they've both modeled it or even played with it in real life when moving the bleachers.

Alternatively, if the goal is to increase the number of quality seats for all games, add another bleacher section above/behind the TV cameras as has been mentioned above. These would be good seats that would fetch some more Preferred Seating money.
You would have to not include it in the seasn ticket packages then. I sit about the top of the three point line. If they turn the court i am behind the basket. That would not make me happy.

I may have two extra tickets in Sec 308.

PM me if you're interested.

You would have to not include it in the seasn ticket packages then. I sit about the top of the three point line. If they turn the court i am behind the basket. That would not make me happy.
I would expect people to get "similar" or "equivalent" seats in the super-sized configuration. The other alternative is to not include it in the normal package but have season ticket holders get a chance to select seats for the game in the appropriate order.

I'm kind of PO'd about the ticket situation. I went on ticketmaster 20 minutes after the tickets went on sale, with the express purpose of getting some G'town tickets; however, the best 300 level seats available at that time were even with or behind the bleachers. I figured I could snag some reasonably priced seats on stubhub, that weren't so sucky, but I was clearly wrong lol. The fact that people or businesses can grab up huge sections of seats (I assume this is what happened) and resell them at such a large markup is pretty ridiculous. But I digress. I'll be at plenty of good games this year, including Notre Dame and L'ville, so I can't complain too much.

Back to your point about the attendance; I think this game is going to break the record and I don't think it will be all that close. 36,000+ is my guess. Last Big East game against our longest, most hated rival and Melo's jersey being honored.
Welcome to the rigged system that GT uses to shaft opposing fans ... which our AD has done next to nothing about (whining to Lee Reed about fairness and sportsmanship is like asking World Peace to grow up).

Some reasonable tickets were just released on ticketmaster, including corner seats. I see tickets in sec 306, 301, 302, and 317. Don't imagine they will last long...

Some reasonable tickets were just released on ticketmaster, including corner seats. I see tickets in sec 306, 301, 302, and 317. Don't imagine they will last long...

Just grabbed 4 in section 302. Thanks for the heads up.

Let the record show... I have bought Goodroc's extra room. Thank you, Goodroc. When the heck did you reserve them? Last September?
Moderators get to read message before they are posted. Conflict of Interest LOL :)

I know they announced they are retiring Melo's Jersey - but have they announced that they are planning a 2003 NC Team reunion at the Georgetown game too?

Moderators get to read message before they are posted. Conflict of Interest LOL :)
No, we don't. I read Goodroc's message on the board... and immediately sent him a PM. Anyone else could have done the same thing.

I know they announced they are retiring Melo's Jersey - but have they announced that they are planning a 2003 NC Team reunion at the Georgetown game too?
The 2003 players were invited; not known yet how many will be able to attend. Obviously GMac will be there, Craig Forth is in the Albany area and last I heard Ronneil Heron was working at Niagara Mohawk (and Hakim will be wherever the NBA schedule takes him that day). Don't know about the others

The architectural logistics + liability associated with such a structure supporting thousands of people probably far exceeds the benefits. Setting up another separate section, but propped up high to see over the existing section, would be pretty dangerous ... whereas using one ginormous set of bleachers couldn't be stored anyplace.

I think we'd be a little naive to think that the AD hasn't already considered most if not all of our suggestions.