Georgetown Rivalry | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Rivalry

uproar84

Walk On
Hey guys,

Can't wait to see the Cuse play in the ACC, but I had a question: What is the future of the Georgetown rivalry? I had just assumed it would continue once a year (alternating home-and-away), but I saw a write-up about Syracuse's schedule next year and there was no mention. Is it being played next year? Any agreement to play in the future?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Can't wait to see the Cuse play in the ACC, but I had a question: What is the future of the Georgetown rivalry? I had just assumed it would continue once a year (alternating home-and-away), but I saw a write-up about Syracuse's schedule next year and there was no mention. Is it being played next year? Any agreement to play in the future?

Thanks.
Nothing set in stone yet. Definitely looks like next year and possibly year after are out of the picture. Theoretically, they may look to set up a similar home-away-neutral scenario we currently have with Villanova.

Nothing set in stone yet. Definitely looks like next year and possibly year after are out of the picture. Theoretically, they may look to set up a similar home-away-neutral scenario we currently have with Villanova.
Got it, thanks. That's a shame. It's one that shouldn't end. Surprised to hear something is firmed up with Villanova before Georgetown or UConn.

Got it, thanks. That's a shame. It's one that shouldn't end. Surprised to hear something is firmed up with Villanova before Georgetown or UConn.
I wonder how much of it is politics and how much is playing games in certain cities for recruiting and fanbase purposes. Washington D.C./Baltimore will be covered next year because of Maryland, but after that, playing Georgetown may become more of a priority. Philly is definitely a priority and has been taken care of for the immediate future.

We only schedule upper tier Non BCS Schools.

!!! Oh and your Mommas A HOYA!

Hey guys,

Thanks.
Georgetown is angry at Syracuse for thinking our basketball rivalry should mean more to the University than our football program's survival. During the last Gtown-SU game in DC John Thompson Jr., said that he was okay with all other Big East schools leaving when but when he heard Syracuse was leaving he was shook up about it. He said Et tu, Syracuse and basically made it out to be that Syracuse was ending the rivalry.

Syracuse has scheduled St. John's and Villanova for next year and would likely schedule Georgetown if they would agree to a home/home agreement, but JT 3 doesn't seem interested right now, and Syracuse doesn't need Georgetown like Georgetown will need Syracuse. Georgetown doesn't sell Syracuse tickets on an indivdual game basis instead to purchase Syracuse game tickets you have to donate 50 dollars to the GU booster association and purchase 2 additional games. They have placed a tax on our game because the crowd would turn into close to a 50/50 split for Gtown home games. Our AD is negotiating with the Gtown to get a series and probably asked for this to stop and its likely Gtown refused so the games haven't been scheduled yet. Thus, until Gtown has a couple of seasons with a half full arena, which they will when their attendance was10.5k for a 20k arena last year I wouldn't expect them to call us till then.

I wonder how much of it is politics and how much is playing games in certain cities for recruiting and fanbase purposes. Washington D.C./Baltimore will be covered next year because of Maryland, but after that, playing Georgetown may become more of a priority. Philly is definitely a priority and has been taken care of for the immediate future.
I'll bet a G that 'town doesn'twant us in the DC area so they are hijacking the rivalty. Mother effs.

It is a two way street but I will lose a lot of respect for Boeheim if it is him that is holding this up. Should have been the first game signed period regardless of recruiting aspect. We make fun of the Seton Hall/Rutgers deal but that is what college athletics is about. All the Philly schools play one another. As a season ticket holder for nearly a decade I will not mind losing a game or two in December against Colgate and Cornell to keep Georgetown, Villanova, etc on the schedule.

Doesn't their 3 ticket pckg. requirement apply to all their home games?

Georgetown is angry at Syracuse for thinking our basketball rivalry should mean more to the University than our football program's survival. During the last Gtown-SU game in DC John Thompson Jr., said that he was okay with all other Big East schools leaving when but when he heard Syracuse was leaving he was shook up about it. He said Et tu, Syracuse and basically made it out to be that Syracuse was ending the rivalry.

Syracuse has scheduled St. John's and Villanova for next year and would likely schedule Georgetown if they would agree to a home/home agreement, but JT 3 doesn't seem interested right now, and Syracuse doesn't need Georgetown like Georgetown will need Syracuse. Georgetown doesn't sell Syracuse tickets on an indivdual game basis instead to purchase Syracuse game tickets you have to donate 50 dollars to the GU booster association and purchase 2 additional games. They have placed a tax on our game because the crowd would turn into close to a 50/50 split for Gtown home games. Our AD is negotiating with the Gtown to get a series and probably asked for this to stop and its likely Gtown refused so the games haven't been scheduled yet. Thus, until Gtown has a couple of seasons with a half full arena, which they will when their attendance was10.5k for a 20k arena last year I wouldn't expect them to call us till then.
Interesting, but if that's the case, it's awfully short-sighted. The Syracuse game is a huge money-maker. They're willing to lose that game-- the legacy of the rivalry and the revenue/national attention it brings-- because they're worried to many Syracuse fans will show up? That is idiotic.

Interesting, but if that's the case, it's awfully short-sighted. The Syracuse game is a huge money-maker. They're willing to lose that game-- the legacy of the rivalry and the revenue/national attention it brings-- because they're worried to many Syracuse fans will show up? That is idiotic.

Its Georgetown

I don't know who or what is stopping it, but Georgetown has a history of "take our ball and go home" antics on this topic. Refer to their spat with Maryland for evidence. It is also entirely possible that there is no spat whatsoever and it is just a logistics thing for the next few years. Who knows? If the hoyas don't want to play, we could still get DMV games by playing Maryland - who is still a high major program, by the way.

Hey guys,

Thanks.

This should have been SU priority #1 after the ACC move.
It's really sad that the two schools don't seem to care enough to have made sure of that.

On the optimistic side...G-town needs us.
We've got their nets.

we needed Nova since Philadelphia is huge recruiting grounds for us. We may never see Uconn again unless it's in a tournament setting we need nothing from them. As far as Gtown I have a feeling it may be a long time before we seem them again. Sure it's still a rivalry, but it is no where near as intense as it once was. Plus I see G'town trying to stick it to us for leaving. They know we need them more then they need us. Unfortunately when it comes to scheduling what happens on the court is one of the last things that matter.

we needed Nova since Philadelphia is huge recruiting grounds for us. We may never see Uconn again unless it's in a tournament setting we need nothing from them. As far as Gtown I have a feeling it may be a long time before we seem them again. Sure it's still a rivalry, but it is no where near as intense as it once was. Plus I see G'town trying to stick it to us for leaving. They know we need them more then they need us. Unfortunately when it comes to scheduling what happens on the court is one of the last things that matter.
Do you seriously believe Syracuse needs Georgetown more than Georgetown needs Syracuse? I can't disagree more this program can't fill up their arena all season long. They average 10.5k per game then Syracuse comes to Verizon Center and they get over 20k. Syracuse can get 33k plus for Notre Dame, Villanova, Duke, North Carolina. We do not need Georgetown. Syracuse could get games in D.C. with George Mason, or George Washington. Please realize Georgetown needs Syracuse more than we need them. Georgetown will schedule us when the Verizon Center doesn't get filled up for Providence, Xavier, Seton Hall, DePaul Marquette, Creighton, Villanova, St. John's who are decent, but all have small fanbases. Georgetown's attendance will go down and they will come crawling to Dr. Gross for a series.

We need them more than they need us? What? How so?

Plus I see G'town trying to stick it to us for leaving. They know we need them more then they need us. Unfortunately when it comes to scheduling what happens on the court is one of the last things that matter.

Do you seriously believe Syracuse needs Georgetown more than Georgetown needs Syracuse? I can't disagree more this program can't fill up their arena all season long. They average 10.5k per game then Syracuse comes to Verizon Center and they get over 20k. Syracuse can get 33k plus for Notre Dame, Villanova, Duke, North Carolina. We do not need Georgetown. Syracuse could get games in D.C. with George Mason, or George Washington. Please realize Georgetown needs Syracuse more than we need them. Georgetown will schedule us when the Verizon Center doesn't get filled up for Providence, Xavier, Seton Hall, DePaul Marquette, Creighton, Villanova, St. John's who are decent, but all have small fanbases. Georgetown's attendance will go down and they will come crawling to Dr. Gross for a series.

trust me i'm not saying we need them. frankly we don't need them, and they don't need us. i should have put it differently. we would like to play them for access to DC that is all. for 1 game a year i think Gtown's pride would get in the way. I see this series going on a hiatus.

And there's also the one little, minor detail about GT not releasing any tickets to the Verizon in order to shut out SU fans. Not that I'm bitter about a conspiracy between Lee Reed and Ted Hockey that, for the past 2 years, has prevented many SU fans from seeing a conference road game against SU's biggest BB rival. ;)

If I were in TDG's shoes, I'd have Lee Reed's photo on my urinal until he apologized for the grey out. Bytch,

a little perspective:
F GTOWN
F GTOWN FANS
F THE VERIZON CENTER
As much as I would like to see us continue to play them, it cant be under that droopy faced wanna be and his a-hole father's terms.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't ever see myself hating any of our new ACC brethren more than the Hoyas.he time)
by the way its (fill in the time) AND GEORDETOWN STILL SUCKS!!

I'll bet a G that 'town doesn'twant us in the DC area so they are hijacking the rivalty. Mother effs.

SU games vs Maryland next year and then continuing games vs, Virginia and Virginia Tech will give us plenty of exposure in the DC area.

I don't know who or what is stopping it, but Georgetown has a history of "take our ball and go home" antics on this topic. Refer to their spat with Maryland for evidence. It is also entirely possible that there is no spat whatsoever and it is just a logistics thing for the next few years. Who knows? If the hoyas don't want to play, we could still get DMV games by playing Maryland - who is still a high major program, by the way.
I agree that scheduling Maryland gives SU much more exposure in DC than does scheduling Georgetwon.

But your understanding of the GU vs MD spat is off base. Neither school is all that crazy about playing the other. Maryland has said the next game needs to be in their gym as the second half of a decades old deal with GU on a home and home series. GU does not want to play at Maryland.

In the early 90's, MD played an away game at the Cap Center vs. GU during the Christmas holidays. 90% of the crowd was rooting hard for Maryland. It was a stinging experience for DC native John Thompson Jr, who believed up until then that he actually had a local fan base.

This was supposed to be the first of two games that were supposed to be on a "Home and Home" basis. GU realized that any game played in DC would be a de facto Maryland home game.

The Georgetown series was finished when we beat them in the Big East Tournament, and that's the way it should end. We've put up with JT and son for all these years, let them and Georgetown go back to being irrelevant.

The Georgetown series was finished when we beat them in the Big East Tournament, and that's the way it should end. We've put up with JT and son for all these years, let them and Georgetown go back to being irrelevant.
I agree, it's not the same as it used to be. F g'town, we will have much better competition in the ACC and we won't have to deal with that boring quasi Princeton offense.

Plus we have their nets that JB and Co cut down!

Our AD is negotiating with the Gtown to get a series and probably asked for this to stop and its likely Gtown refused so the games haven't been scheduled yet. Thus, until Gtown has a couple of seasons with a half full arena, which they will when their attendance was10.5k for a 20k arena last year I wouldn't expect them to call us till then.

Speculate much?

Yeah, I'm certain the reason why 'Cuse vs. G'Town isn't yet on the books is because Gross wants the Hoyas to change the way they sell tickets.

There's no other excuse.

That has to be it. Oh Lord

This should have been SU priority #1 after the ACC move.
It's really sad that the two schools don't seem to care enough to have made sure of that.

On the optimistic side...G-town needs us.
We've got their nets.
tumblr_ln8172SWb21qh2mpqo1_400.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom