Georgia inks new 10-year, $152.5M marketing, multimedia rights deal | Syracusefan.com

Georgia inks new 10-year, $152.5M marketing, multimedia rights deal

There's literally nothing else, sports-wise in Georgia aside from UGA football and the Falcons.

Nobody cares about the Hawks, Braves, Tech etc. The new MLS team may become the third most popular team given the tickets they've already sold.

Must be nice to have your college team be equal to your pro team and that be the end all/be all for the entire state.

Interesting that the agreement is with IMG and JMI. Last I knew, they were arch rivals.

In contrast, it looks like Syracuse is getting around $6-7 million a year. That deal was made 3 years ago.

Does IMG College Face Shifts in Marketplace? - JMI Sports

IMG College now finds itself deep into extension talks at Syracuse, where it is expected to commit an additional $2 million to $3 million more to the Orange’s annual guarantee of $4 million to keep those rights, industry insiders said, adding to the company’s expensive month.

Like the Syracuse deal and other extensions in front of IMG College and Learfield, it’s possible that future agreements will cost the rights holders quite a bit more, thanks to the Kentucky deal.

I think ACC schools are at a disadvantage compared to SEC schools because ESPN has the rights to all tier 3 content for the ACC but not for the SEC. But the SEC has a network with ESPN, which I would think has to burn significant valuable tier 3 inventory.

Anyone know how long the SU deal is for?

There's literally nothing else, sports-wise in Georgia aside from UGA football and the Falcons.

Nobody cares about the Hawks, Braves, Tech etc. The new MLS team may become the third most popular team given the tickets they've already sold.

Must be nice to have your college team be equal to your pro team and that be the end all/be all for the entire state.

Haha I mean if nobody cares that's one thing - but I wouldn't say 'no one cares' about the braves and hawks. Braves opening a new stadium with the greatest baseball player to ever live (Bartolo Colon) atop the rotation. No one cares. Blasphemy!

Honestly if we hadn't beaten them in the '96 sweet sixteen and also having Dominique, I wouldn't know they had a basketball team. Shows you how important (read: $$$$$$$) football is.

Honestly if we hadn't beaten them in the '96 sweet sixteen and also having Dominique, I wouldn't know they had a basketball team. Shows you how important (read: $$$$$$$) football is.

After living in Georgia for over a decade, I don't think they know they have a basketball team.

The Braves have interest don't they?

The Braves aren't big in Georgia? It's their only pro team with a championship lol

If they're winning.

They'll generate interest with the new stadium this coming year but this past year, that place was a morgue.

That's my opinion also. The crowds were awesome in the early successful years in 91, 92, 93 but by the end of that run, Atlanta didn't really deserve a team that had won 14 division titles in a row - if that makes any sense.

That's my opinion also. The crowds were awesome in the early successful years in 91, 92, 93 but by the end of that run, Atlanta didn't really deserve a team that had won 14 division titles in a row - if that makes any sense.
The city is so transient that the only sport that has a stronghold is football due to attracting fans in from all over Georgia in both ATL for the Falcons and Athens for UGA.

The Braves and Hawks get crowds and buzz if they're winning but if they're not a title contender, people just don't care. The problem is, they never are, so the empathy for those teams just gets worse and worse. The new stadium will help but neither team seems capable of attracting superstars, which is what those two teams desperately need.

If they're winning.

They'll generate interest with the new stadium this coming year but this past year, that place was a morgue.

Why in God's name does Atlanta need a new baseball stadium? Turner Field was built in 1997, and it's a very nice park.

Why in God's name does Atlanta need a new baseball stadium? Turner Field was built in 1997, and it's a very nice park.
Due to the part of the city Turner Field is in. Everything is moving to the north side of Atlanta, where all the $$$ is.

Due to the part of the city Turner Field is in. Everything is moving to the north side of Atlanta, where all the $$$ is.

That was my understanding from my friends who still live there but was waiting for you to confirm - location, location, location!

But to Eric's point, it really does seem ridiculous how short some of these stadium lifespans have become considering they are hundreds of millions of dollars of an investment.

I went to a game there in 2011 as part of a bachelor party and I did notice how surprisingly underdeveloped the area around the stadium was. Usually new stadiums are magnets for new bars/restaurants.

But to Eric's point, it really does seem ridiculous how short some of these stadium lifespans have become considering they are hundreds of millions of dollars of an investment.
Let's pin this quote the next time someone complains that we get a puny $15M for a gondola, or that we shouldn't squeeze Andy for Dome funding. It's a drop in the bucket.

Interesting that the agreement is with IMG and JMI. Last I knew, they were arch rivals.

In contrast, it looks like Syracuse is getting around $6-7 million a year. That deal was made 3 years ago.

Does IMG College Face Shifts in Marketplace? - JMI Sports

IMG College now finds itself deep into extension talks at Syracuse, where it is expected to commit an additional $2 million to $3 million more to the Orange’s annual guarantee of $4 million to keep those rights, industry insiders said, adding to the company’s expensive month.

Like the Syracuse deal and other extensions in front of IMG College and Learfield, it’s possible that future agreements will cost the rights holders quite a bit more, thanks to the Kentucky deal.

I think ACC schools are at a disadvantage compared to SEC schools because ESPN has the rights to all tier 3 content for the ACC but not for the SEC. But the SEC has a network with ESPN, which I would think has to burn significant valuable tier 3 inventory.

Anyone know how long the SU deal is for?
Same as the "Carrier" dome ;)

There's literally nothing else, sports-wise in Georgia aside from UGA football

I was just down in Georgia and all I heard on the radio was advertisements on how to join "Dawg Nation" fan board. We have a very long ways to go.

Plus right next to one of those Plantation stores that sells peanuts this guy must had a 30 Georgia team flags in his yard and even his shed was all bulldogs.Meant to grab a picture as this was bigger than Mike Lanes Syracuse house yard theme thingy he had going on.

I know that Auburn has been down the past few years but I remember one of their fans crying chicken little when their attendance dipped to 84,000 for a game.

I grew up in CNY and graduated from UGA. Been in the south the last 20+ years. Consider myself a big Georgia fan, while still following the hometown 'Cuse. To this day it still amazes me how obsessed people are with their college allegiances down here, whether a graduate or not. Lives revolve around it.

I went to a game there in 2011 as part of a bachelor party and I did notice how surprisingly underdeveloped the area around the stadium was. Usually new stadiums are magnets for new bars/restaurants.
That would make sense except for the NIMBY factor. When a stadium is proposed, the powers that be don't want it in money-making areas and it will often end up in an unused area or a minority area that doesn't attract new bar/s restaurants. Witness the baseball stadium issue in Syracuse.

That would make sense except for the NIMBY factor. When a stadium is proposed, the powers that be don't want it in money-making areas and it will often end up in an unused area or a minority area that doesn't attract new bar/s restaurants. Witness the baseball stadium issue in Syracuse.

But an opposite example of that is the Verizon Center in Washington. Chinatown was decrepit in the 70s and 80s, and now it's one of the most vibrant places in the city as a result of the arena bringing in so many entertainment dollars regularly.

But an opposite example of that is the Verizon Center in Washington. Chinatown was decrepit in the 70s and 80s, and now it's one of the most vibrant places in the city as a result of the arena bringing in so many entertainment dollars regularly.

I remember when the (then) MCI Center first went up. Back before I was married and we looked for creative ways to start drinking at noon on Saturday. So we went down there to check out the facility and then go from there. I don't know that I'd really been in that part of town. Every storefront that wasn't selling wigs had a board on it.

Crazy how different it is now. The very definition of the high rent district.

Every storefront that wasn't selling wigs had a board on it.

Well don't leave us hanging, did you end up buying a wig for Millhouse or didn't you?

Well don't leave us hanging, did you end up buying a wig for Millhouse or didn't you?

Of course. With matching meathead mustache.

DrPhil_wig_beard_Set__82910.1404282466.500.750.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom