Georgia Tech Attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech Attendance

Hey if we get actual 38k to 40k in seats that is a great job by the locals given basically a 40% win record over the last 20 plus years. If the game starts well it will be plenty loud. It will be a great game. Sold out is gravy.

I'm not trying to be negative -- but 0% this sells out. Far too many tickets ranging from 60-115 in the 3rd level sidelines. Similar look to Ohio, IMO.
I honestly don't understand why any of us on here would think otherwise. What we want vs what we know what to expect/deserve/think we deserve, has always had a clear line of distinction. 38k actual would be quite a good turnout as of today.

I think the students have been awesome and I don't like it when anyone divides the fan base, but think about what you just said.

If 2/3 of the townies, or alumni left at halftime I doubt you'd feel the same.
I was once a student, and I currently have a daughter who's a student at another ACC school. So I get both perspectives.

Mostly, I don't like to police how other people decide to "fan". At this point, if people don't want to buy tickets then I respect that choice. And if people want to sit down and be quiet the entire game then I respect that choice. Etc.

I was once a student, and I currently have a daughter who's a student at another ACC school. So I get both perspectives.

Mostly, I don't like to police how other people decide to "fan". At this point, if people don't want to buy tickets then I respect that choice. And if people want to sit down and be quiet the entire game then I respect that choice. Etc.
If we start winning again, and become relevant again, the students will become more interested in staying.

This schedule has 1 sell out caliber game and I think that’s Miami, just not enough big names to draw the casuals

This schedule has 1 sell out caliber game and I think that’s Miami, just not enough big names to draw the casuals

It's unfortunate that we're front-loaded on home games, because if we beat Georgia Tech and then win the games we're supposed to, there's a decent chance that down the stretch we're still alive for the ACCCG.

I would imagine if we flipped the Stanford and UConn games or GT and UConn games, we'd get a sellout for those if we were still in the hunt towards the end. Instead, 4 of our last 6 conference games are on the road.

Su could give free beer for the entire game to students that would keep them there.

Also, the great Dwight Franny will have his jersey retired at the Georgia Tech game. I’m looking forward to seeing that he was such a great player. Hopefully some people will attend the game to see that as well as us beating Georgia Tech.

About 240 tickets sold today from what I can tell, not including resales. That's more movement than this time last week...would still love to see that pace increase especially now that we have a ranked team coming in

2/3 of students didn't leave at halftime. When the game was in hand yeah.
Honestly I didn't notice either way. I was just basing that on what another person had said.

One thing that makes it tough, and I get that a lot of other schools probably have the same problem, is that for a lot of Syracuse alums it's a tough trip to get back to a game. I'm on the West Coast now, so as much as I'd LOVE to see a game at the Dome (it's been a while), I doubt that's going to happen this year. Trying to make it up to Berkeley for our game this year, was going to try to hit the UNLV game too, but the timing doesn't work.

If it was like a two hour drive or something, I'd shoot out for this game for sure. For folks in NYC or Boston, the closest big cities with a lot of alums, it's still not something you can really put together last minute with ease. It requires hotels and a long drive or flights and hotels. On the other hand, Texas probably has a ton of alums within 45 minutes, LSU within 90 minutes, Georgia within 75 minutes, etc.

I'd also love to have the opportunity to get back to Cuse for a 3-4 day trip and catch a big football AND basketball game. Closest I could come to that would be Cornell hoops, Miami football, and that's a Wed-Sun trip. Or Va Tech football, Le Moyne basketball. That's Fri-Tues.

In a perfect world they'd schedule a home basketball game against Georgetown as close as possible to a football game, not sure what the turnaround allows in the Dome, but maybe Thurs 9pm and Sat 3pm is doable? Would be sweet to fly in Thursday, check-in to a hotel, get to the Dome for a game Thursday, visit some people around campus Friday, catch the game Saturday, and consume several beers in between all that, then fly back Sunday and be able to rest up for the next week.

Students show up more than any other segment of the fan base. They can do what they want.
By my calculations about 22% of SU students show up to games and if we can agree on 30000 locals etc show up thats also about 22% of the population of Syracuse.
Although I agree the students are doing better/good it is a false statement to say students show up better. I mean what else do most SU students have to do compared to the locals living a life of work, kids, school themselves maybe, family obligations, leaf raking, nys fair, money issues, apple picking, plain old lack of time, prioritizing etc etc etc.

The local fans are absolutely amazing. The students are par for the course.
Students can also roll out of bed drunk, throw on an unflattering crop top, ugly cut up jean shorts&unnecessary boots and walk to the game in 10 minutes, its a damn process if you have to put on appropriate clothing and drive.

And if we lose most students could not care less or even know that we lost, a decent percentage of local fans are legit upset at least for 20 minutes maybe a week or more.

Im 47 local, havn't missed more than 20 football games and basketball games combined in 37 yrs. Know many more just like me.
Anybody that talks smack about local Syracuse fans is plain ignorant.

But hey Ra Ra Ra to the students that leave in the 2nd qtr.

The only students that showed up to the quad walk were the players, cheerleaders, otto, band and the dance team. I had friends drive 8 hours and were tailgating by 9am. Walked 2 miles total uphill both ways to go to quad walk and back to tailgate. And yes they all had on orange SU shirts, new shorts or pants and looked good.

Last edited:
Students show up more than any other segment of the fan base. They can do what they want.
Horrible, insulting and false take. What if local fans left at the same ratio would you give them that leeway? Not a chance.
You're putting down the lifelong and truly committed fans that are the backbone of the program.
Shame on you.
Yuck

By my calculations about 22% of SU students show up to games and if we can agree on 30000 locals etc show up thats also about 22% of the population of Syracuse.
Although I agree the students are doing better/good it is a false statement to say students show up better. I mean what else do most SU students have to do compared to the locals living a life of work, kids, school themselves maybe, family obligations, leaf raking, nys fair, money issues, apple picking, plain old lack of time, prioritizing etc etc etc.

The local fans are absolutely amazing. The students are par for the course.
Students can also roll out of bed drunk, throw on an unflattering crop top, ugly cut up jean shorts&unnecessary boots and walk to the game in 10 minutes, its a damn process if you have to put on appropriate clothing and drive.

And if we lose most students could not care less or even know that we lost, a decent percentage of local fans are legit upset at least for 20 minutes maybe a week or more.

Im 47 local, havn't missed more than 20 football games and basketball games combined in 37 yrs. Know many more just like me.
Anybody that talks smack about local Syracuse fans is plain ignorant.

But hey Ra Ra Ra to the students that leave in the 2nd qtr.

The only students that showed up to the quad walk were the players, cheerleaders, otto, band and the dance team. I had friends drive 8 hours and were tailgating by 9am. Walked 2 miles total uphill both ways to go to quad walk and back to tailgate. And yes they all had on orange SU shirts, new shorts or pants and looked good.
The population of Onondaga county is 500k the population of just Syracuse is irrelevant

This is a nooner in early September. Even in our 90s heyday we would have a few thousand empty seats for a game like it.
The population of Onondaga county is 500k the population of just Syracuse is irrelevant
I find that rebuttal comical and weak. Im talking about Syracuse University not Onondaga County University.
We aren't in court, its just a simple exercise for perspective, my point stands. Regardless, our local fans are not a problem, AT ALL. And anyone that doesn't appreciate what the local fanbase means to SU athletics is just ignorant.
Students show up better they can do what they want is an awful statement and there is zero defense for it. I find it grossly offensive, false, inappropriate, ignorant, insulting, delusional, disrespectful and downright weird.
I mean if they leave at halftime thats ok? What if Kyle Mccord left at halftime, he had an awesome first half he should be able to do what he wants. The 12th man is needed in the 2nd half too.

Last edited:
2/3 of students didn't leave at halftime. When the game was in hand yeah.
The upper deck was empty after half time. You could count the kids still there. Lower wasn’t bad.