Get your H0T Takes right here | Syracusefan.com

Get your H0T Takes right here

OrangeFoo

All American
- We don’t win 10 bleeping games without Elijah Hughes... no really Hughes is going to play every minute that matters of every game

- Girard is our best ball handler and most natural lead guard and it isn’t even close. Hughes is second, Buddy third, Goodine fourth, and Carey fifth. A cookie for anyone who can spot the problem here. Not sure what JB’s strategy is with Girard but he needs to play big minutes against UVA otherwise we won’t break 60 points.

- Love Carey’s explosiveness but if he doesn’t improve you have your scholarship for IJ right there.

- Goodine is one for the future. He has a great shot and some bounce to his game, but he has no clue what he is doing out there and is very tentative. I think JB gives him many chances to get it in pre-conference but ultimately Goodine will be a .25 in the rotation once conference play starts.

- We are going to see a LOT of full court pressure this year.

- Sidibe is our worst starting 5 since the bad old Ovcina days. I hope Marek is ready to play some center.

- The D is a sieve right now... Carleton got into the teeth of the zone whenever they wanted and the short corner and baseline 3s were there all night.

- We were going to get crushed on the boards this year... too skinny and wed don’t have dudes who like to mix it up

- Guerrier could be that dude but while he looks the part off the bus... there is very limited impact on the game. He is the X factor, if he can become the 3rd leading scorer and provide a physical presence this team is otherwise lacking it will definitely increase our ceiling

- Edwards is the in case of emergency break glass option. He will only see time if Marek is in foul trouble.

- Ajak should red shirt

- Braswell will get some run in pre-conference but I will be shocked to see him 2020 winter.

Folks, I hate to say it but this is another bubble team... but one that will be fun to watch. This team will ultimately not be able to overcome historically poor talent on the inside and are going to get regularly crushed on the inside like those Kansas and Spartan teams did to us in those two tournament losses. There is talent but other than Hughes it will be ready next year.

My predicted rotation - Carey (getting token minutes), Buddy, Hughes (will play 40 mins game), Sidibe (will get hooked within the first 5 minutes of every game),Guerrier, Girard, Marek, Goodine (token minutes)

Don’t agree with your 2nd bullet at all. At all. I guess that’s why they’re called H0T Takes.

And a couple other bullets are shaky but it’s too late at night to make a long post.

Our Guards are able to rebound far better than previous years.

Guerrier doesn't need to be a third leading scorer but he does need to be someone who can get us 8-12 points. He was pressing but he also had a personal run of his own doing exactly what he should for us. Including grabbing some tough rebounds.

Carey isn't as bad as you make him out to be. Yes he has struggled in spots, but the growth is starting to show.

Carleton did penetrate too much and we did hand out some corner 3s. But far less than being a sieve. The closeouts were much better in the second half. The extended 3 pt.line is going to make it harder to prevent guard penetration. Thus the interior D must be better.

Edwards will get his chances along with Braswell purely for rebounding and defending the post. They are the end of the rotation hence the .5/.25s but will be needed this year.

This teams ceiling is higher than I originally thought. We will have our struggles but there is a lot to like so far. Especially offensively.

- We don’t win 10 bleeping games without Elijah Hughes... no really Hughes is going to play every minute that matters of every game

- Girard is our best ball handler and most natural lead guard and it isn’t even close. Hughes is second, Buddy third, Goodine fourth, and Carey fifth. A cookie for anyone who can spot the problem here. Not sure what JB’s strategy is with Girard but he needs to play big minutes against UVA otherwise we won’t break 60 points.

- Love Carey’s explosiveness but if he doesn’t improve you have your scholarship for IJ right there.

- Goodine is one for the future. He has a great shot and some bounce to his game, but he has no clue what he is doing out there and is very tentative. I think JB gives him many chances to get it in pre-conference but ultimately Goodine will be a .25 in the rotation once conference play starts.

- Sidibe is our worst starting 5 since the bad old Ovcina days. I hope Marek is ready to play some center.

- The D is a sieve right now... Carleton got into the teeth of the zone whenever they wanted and the short corner and baseline 3s were there all night.

- We were going to get crushed on the boards this year... too skinny and wed don’t have dudes who like to mix it up

- Guerrier could be that dude but while he looks the part off the bus... there is very limited impact on the game. He is the X factor, if he can become the 3rd leading scorer and provide a physical presence this team is otherwise lacking it will definitely increase our ceiling

- Edwards is the in case of emergency break glass option. He will only see time if Marek is in foul trouble.

- Ajak should red shirt

- Braswell will get some run in pre-conference but I will be shocked to see him 2020 winter.

Folks, I hate to say it but this is another bubble team... but one that will be fun to watch. This team will ultimately not be able to overcome historically poor talent on the inside and are going to get regularly crushed on the inside like those Kansas and Spartan teams did to us in those two tournament losses. There is talent but other than Hughes it will be ready next year.

My predicted rotation - Carey (getting token minutes), Buddy, Hughes (will play 40 mins game), Sidibe (will get hooked within the first 5 minutes of every game),Guerrier, Girard, Marek, Goodine (token minutes)
Other than your first paragraph about Hughes, I don’t think i agree with almost anything else you wrote here.

- Ajak should red shirt

Ovcina was never our starting center. He was always behind Otis Hill and Etan. Unless you’re referring to the days Billy Celuck started for us.

Pretty sure we were top 25 and made the tournament when Celuck was our starting center.

I’d sign up for that.

Yep Griffin and Damone Brown’s senior year. Unfortunately the next year was the infamous DeShaun/Shumpert drama team.

Don’t agree with your 2nd bullet at all. At all. I guess that’s why they’re called H0T Takes.

And a couple other bullets are shaky but it’s too late at night to make a long post.
These takes are based on two exhibition games... they are steaming hot.

Regarding Carey... all I know is Carleton applied full court pressure to start the game and he could barely get the ball up the court. Goodies tried, was a bit better but still struggled. Hughes had to take over, did much better but he can’t both be scorer and primary ball handler. Then Girard came and had zero problems against the pressure and the offense started humming. Carleton didn’t use pressure for most of the second half so Carey was a bit better but he still struggled to get the offense going. Then Girard came in and the offense started to move again. Which part of this do you disagree with?

Yep Griffin and Damone Brown’s senior year. Unfortunately the next year was the infamous DeShaun/Shumpert drama team.
Wasn't the meshaun/shumpert drama In 2002?

Our Guards are able to rebound far better than previous years.

Guerrier doesn't need to be a third leading scorer but he does need to be someone who can get us 8-12 points. He was pressing but he also had a personal run of his own doing exactly what he should for us. Including grabbing some tough rebounds.

Carey isn't as bad as you make him out to be. Yes he has struggled in spots, but the growth is starting to show.

Carleton did penetrate too much and we did hand out some corner 3s. But far less than being a sieve. The closeouts were much better in the second half. The extended 3 pt.line is going to make it harder to prevent guard penetration. Thus the interior D must be better.

Edwards will get his chances along with Braswell purely for rebounding and defending the post. They are the end of the rotation hence the .5/.25s but will be needed this year.

This teams ceiling is higher than I originally thought. We will have our struggles but there is a lot to like so far. Especially offensively.
Good call on the extended 3... didn’t consider that. Maybe this is the new normal. I thought the zone moved okay and was surprised at the open shots they got, the increased space could explain theat. We are lucky Carlton can’t shoot 3s... my guess is UVA can.

If Edwards and Braswell get no run in the second half of an exhibition... I have limited hope of seeing them when the games count.

- Ajak should red shirt

I agree with almost all of this - Eli is going to be Tyus this year. He needs to stay alert to the fact that he can facilitate and not always have to shoot. He was much more vocal - it is his team.

JG3 is the only guard on the team who can handle token pressure and get us in our half court set. We also did not throw one entry pass to the post until he entered the game. He is also going to be our best FT shooter. I don't know if he gets more than 15 minutes a night but the kid is going to have to play. Carey and goodine are not PG's.

Marek needs to be on the floor - he was awful in the first half last night but our O still flows much smoother because his presence adds a passer. Kids cut harder and move - knowing he will find them. He also breaks us out of our magic circle routine at the top of the key.

QG is the X factor - first half was bad Oshae. 2nd was good QG. We need the latter every night.

Finally Buddy is going to be Honorable Mention ACC.

These takes are based on two exhibition games... they are steaming hot.

Regarding Carey... all I know is Carleton applied full court pressure to start the game and he could barely get the ball up the court. Goodies tried, was a bit better but still struggled. Hughes had to take over, did much better but he can’t both be scorer and primary ball handler. Then Girard came and had zero problems against the pressure and the offense started humming. Carleton didn’t use pressure for most of the second half so Carey was a bit better but he still struggled to get the offense going. Then Girard came in and the offense started to move again. Which part of this do you disagree with?
Yeah I am a little perplexed on that too. Last night neither Carey or Goodine handled the pressure. Girard isn't all world but he understands that you can create space by changing pace. He also has a much better handle - or did last night in terms of security.

Ovcina was never our starting center. He was always behind Otis Hill and Etan. Unless you’re referring to the days Billy Celuck started for us.
Dang your are right I meant Celuk but couldn’t remember his name... which is horrible since I’m from a town right next to Carbondale, PA which I believe is Celuk’s hometown. For thr record it looks like Celuk never started... he backed up McNeil and Forth.

Please name a starting center who you had less confidence in than Sid? I’ll wait... it’s been a LONG time. Even Chukwu brought more than I have seen from Sid these two exhibition games.

My hot take. Carey is going to be given every chance but is going to get buried by Goodine and Girard before long. Things flowed better with both.

Best lineup looked like Hughes, BB, Marek, Sidibe, and Goodine or Girard (either or) and they both look good together. The best 'small' lineup looks like that group minus Sadib.

Guerrier is going to have to learn to play inside out. Shaky. I'd guess he'll start all season though, Marek will be the 6th man and will be quickly inserted into the game for either /C spot.

Was interesting to see JB's sub pattern last night. If memory serves it went Edwards was first in. Then Marek. Then Goodine. Then Girard. ??

Wonder what Washington's Mom is thinking about her tweet today.

Ultimately I just don’t think Carey will cut it here and Joe Joe will end up with his minutes. If you don’t have a feel for handling pressure as a point guard then you won’t play. And at this point I am highly doubtful of his ability to get it done against even avg competition. Girard has shown no trouble handing the pressure and he is a lights out shooter. He is gonna play a lot.

we are better than a bubble team this year unless injuries become a problem.

- Girard is our best ball handler and most natural lead guard...

- Sidibe is our worst starting 5 since the bad old Ovcina days...
Many points of possible debate...but I'll limit this to only two.

Joe Girard looks like a player who has been VERY well coached and who has absorbed that coaching.

And, with absolutely no rational basis whatsoever, Elvir Ovcina must be defended.
His skill set in orange was unparalleled.
He may have been the greatest stretch 6 in college basketball.

Dang your are right I meant Celuk but couldn’t remember his name... which is horrible since I’m from a town right next to Carbondale, PA which I believe is Celuk’s hometown.
Close, but if memory serves, it was lovely hamlet of Jessup, PA where Billy hailed from.

Close, but if memory serves, it was lovely hamlet of Jessup, PA where Billy hailed from.
I wonder who I am thinking of... when I was in highschool Carbondale had a big time player. Oh well.

we are better than a bubble team this year unless injuries become a problem.
I hope this is true... but for this to happen we need to play much better interior D, pray to god we can find someone to rebound the ball (Carleton missed a BUNCH of caroms where they were in better position to get the board than we did), get significantly better guard play against man to man D, find a 3rd legit scorer.

I fear ACC teams will eat us up on the inside and get tons of offensive boards which will prevent us from running or and takes us out of our offense by pressuring the point guard which will also prevent us from running. Carey could barely get the ball across half court in the first half. This will force Hughes to bring the ball up which will turn us back to an isoball team. I think if Girard emerges as the lead guard we will be okay... but he seems a step slower than the elite athletes we will see.

Was interesting to see JB's sub pattern last night. If memory serves it went Edwards was first in. Then Marek. Then Goodine. Then Girard. ??

Sidibe got the hook within 2 possessions I believe. Edwards was first in, but Carelton got some easy inside buckets and that's the last we saw of Edwards. Goodine was the first guard in for Carey and he took over the point for a few possessions. But Goodine also struggled against the pressure so Hughes brought the ball up. Then Girard subbed for Hughes. Goodine took over bringing the ball up again and again struggled. Then Girard took over the point and the offense started to move. Similar rotation in the 2nd half I feel like, except Buddy was subbed instead of Hughes.

Anyways I stand by statement that Girard is the most natural point on the team. Goodine is good but picks up his dribble too early or dribbles into the paint without any real plan as to what to do next. He has a ton of potential but his handle needs work and he needs better feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom