Getting great reports on Tyler Roberson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Getting great reports on Tyler Roberson

BC loss and GT Games are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. Fair couldn't hit a shot against BC, maybe Roberson gives you something off the bench if he plays all year long and gains experience. The GT game, JB plays him significant minutes when he hasn't played all year and he expects him to contribute. Its asinine to think he will play adequately enough when he has gotten 2-3 mintues here and there. In 11 games he got 0 minutes, and BC at home was one of those games. Instead, we got 45 mintues from CJ who shot 7-23 (30%), 41 mintues from Grant who shot 4-9 (44%), and 15 minitues from silent G who was 0-2 with 3 fouls. We shot 32% as a team that night, but obviously fresh legs or a player that has been contributing all year (Roberson if he got 10-15 mintues a game throughout the year) wouldnt have helped.

He gets 100 minutes in practice every week. If he's not contributing then, why would you think things would be different during a game.

I remember Grant being out 2-3 games late in the season and JB went with Gbinije at forward and back to Xmas at PF instead of Roberson. Its clear he wasn't all that ready. So yes the coaches gave him a opportunity, and yes gbinije and rak were as much ready, if not even more ready at forward.

And one of those games after getting pulled early, JB personally stated Roberson is not ready yet in the presser, he doesn't know the defense yet.

Last edited:
He gets 100 minutes in practice every week. If he's not contributing then, why would you think things would be different during a game.

And Cooney got a whole year of practice before finally playing and he played like crap but all we heard was how good he was in practices during his redshirt year. Games and practices are totally different and what someone does in practice or during a game doesnt always transition over to one another. They are totally different animals and this is why players need game time experience.

And Cooney got a whole year of practice before finally playing and he played like crap but all we heard was how good he was in practices during his redshirt year. Games and practices are totally different and what someone does in practice or during a game doesnt always transition over to one another. They are totally different animals and this is why players need game time experience.

You obviously never saw me play little league baseball over 40 years ago. All the playing experience in the world wouldn't have helped my game. ;)

Of course, we could have played the bench, coughed up the lead even worse, and dug ourselves too deep a hole to extend the game to OT.

We only managed 25 points in each half. If you blame fatigue for the bad 2nd half performance, what do you blame the 1st half on? Too much rest?

Fatigue for both halves, physical and mental.

We don't know what sporadic substitutions could have done; maybe we'd have lost in regulation, maybe not. But I've watched a lot of basketball and am hard-pressed to remember a team sticking with ineffective starters while that much talent sits on the bench. Boeheim's usually conservative with his management of minutes; the gamble did not pay off this season.

Otto Porter is also the best small forward to ever play in the Big East.

Boeheim says things.
He may have been on that one night in the dome.wow that was impressive.

6'9 shooting guard ala kevin durant.

JB also said that CJ at 80% was better than (whoever else) at 100%. Roberson? I can't remember.

He may have been on that one night in the dome.wow that was impressive.

6'9 shooting guard ala kevin durant.

That was a phenomenal performance, no doubt about it.

I hate this stupid argument. You just cant run your players into the ground like JB did this year. You need to develop players during game situations. There was absolutely enough minutes to go around and for Roberson to get 10-15 minutes a game. So what if we get a loss here or there, our players are better rested for a championship run at the end of the year and you have more quality players to contribute. You play for championships, not regular season titles.
And 1..

Senior, first option, four year team player, etc. Short of CJ breaking his leg, that would never happen.
Also, everyone seems to forget that we never had any big leads this year. Freshman normally get their game experience in blowouts at the beginning of the season and then get sporadic minutes in other situations. When every game is close, the bench doesn't get those opportunities.

JeremyCuse said:
Plently of opportunity available for Roberson, Patterson, and BJ. Hope these guys are ready to work there @sses off this summer and grab that PT in the fall. Playing time is going to be wide open.

We're is BJ and Patterson going to get minutes from this year?

With G the main backup at the one and the two and at the three there really isn't going to be a huge difference in minutes distribution from last year to this year. If Coleman is healthy that would probably mean a little time at the 4 for Rak as well.

Patterson isn't going to play unless something happens to Joseph, Cooney or G. BJ may have a little more opportunity, but again he has Roberson, Chris Mc, and G ahead of him there along with Rak possibly getting minutes at the 4.

can't respond to this, but lets take a related take. josh pace was about to transfer, but injury ans suspension opened up a chance for him. we don't win without his contribution. grant doesn't play if southerland doesn't get suspended. we are really goo early every year and not so good later. after u lose your legs u don't recover for months

I hate this stupid argument. You just cant run your players into the ground like JB did this year. You need to develop players during game situations. There was absolutely enough minutes to go around and for Roberson to get 10-15 minutes a game. So what if we get a loss here or there, our players are better rested for a championship run at the end of the year and you have more quality players to contribute. You play for championships, not regular season titles.

A loss here or there? We lost to Georgia Tech with Roberson playing significant minutes. What if we lose 7 or 8 more game with him playing 10-15 minutes per game? We had probably 10-11 very close games we could have lost. What championship are we winning with 13 or 14 losses? You said he needed game experience. He got it against Georgia Tech and showed why he didn't play much all year. You play the players that give you the best chance to win. We didn't lose to Dayton because we were not rested. Roberson may be a very good player soon, but that doesn't mean he's good right now.

A loss here or there? We lost to Georgia Tech with Roberson playing significant minutes. What if we lose 7 or 8 more game with him playing 10-15 minutes per game? We had probably 10-11 very close games we could have lost. What championship are we winning with 13 or 14 losses? You said he needed game experience. He got it against Georgia Tech and showed why he didn't play much all year. You play the players that give you the best chance to win. We didn't lose to Dayton because we were not rested. Roberson may be a very good player soon, but that doesn't mean he's good right now.
That was the problem. If TR gets 10-15mins from the start of the season, he is a different player by the time of GT...

We can go off on wishful thinking all we want, but there is nothing to suggest he would have been a much better player in march or made the team noticably better if he had more game minutes. Nothing at all.

Tyler had no more then 6(if that) isolation post points in the 162 minutes he gave us, was 0-5 from three, and knocked down all his jump shots wide open 2-3 steps away from his man.

All this thinking we needed to play gbinije and Tyler more minutes I don't mind if it gives our best players some fresher legs in march. But Gbinije and Roberson weren't getting much better then they were in march with a extra 10 minutes in nov/early december.

Last edited:
First of all, there may be NO certainties in life... But how much extrapolation does it take to speculate a freshman college BB player is going to play better with more playing time, confidence, et al? JB had TR tighter than a prisoner taking his first shower in the pen...
Most don't have the Moten "embrace the spotlight IT factor" from minute 1...

People always are blaming jb for having people on a tight leash all the time, you rarely ever see someone stand up for him.

For example they will agree freshmen dajuan coleman, rakeem christmas or fab melo aren't ready yet, but they won't give jb credit for noticing. But when he doesn't give someone like freshmen southerland or roberson more minutes they are superquick to blame his coaching.

Last edited:
People always are blaming jb for having people on a tight leash all the time, you rarely ever see someone stand up for him.
Geez, I wonder why that is? JB is grossly unfair on how he treats players during a season... And usually things are set in stone from game 1.

disagree and I know I am not the only one.

3-4 minutes a game for a player who hasn't proven he is ready is understandable, you start giving them 10 and you are playing a quarter of the game to play other players, but not playing to win the game. Had he gave Roberson, Buss and BJ all 3-4 minutes a game at different times, it would be the same thing.

Even with your best lineup it takes time for your best players to finally get a advantage and after they do the other team can go on a run and get back into the game in a short span.

CJ fair was ready to play as a freshmen Roberson or Grant not as much. Funny thing is both probably have a higher ceiling then CJ. Keita was ready to play as a freshmen Fab Melo was not and Fab Melo had a much higher ceiling then Keita, sometimes its just the way it is.

Last edited:
disagree and I know I am not the only one.

3-4 minutes a game for a player who hasn't proven he is ready is understandable, you start giving them 10 and you are playing a quarter of the game to develop your players but not playing to win the game.

Even with your best lineup it takes time for your best players to finally get a advantage and after they do the other team can go on a run and get back into the game in a short span.

I'm not talking about playing time... I'm talking about some players "can do no wrong" and some players "can do no right." Some players get yelled and berated on national tv, pulled after 2mins of game time. And others can do no wrong, even if they are sucking the big one on the floor... JB likes to "pick his whipping boy" at the start of the season, because heaven forbid, that he light a fire under his "star" players...

Last edited:
Tyler reminds me of the jerami situation neither really had a post up or isolation game as freshmen, but both reports suggest they will make a huge jump.

Everyone said Jerami Grant would break out and be a stud (except me), sadly he lost his chance to put alittle bit of weight on due to the mono thing which really hurt his isolation game alot.

imo. The good thing about Tyler is he will have a better jumpshot then Jerami from the high post (he had one and he favored it in highschool) so defenders won't be able to leave him open. He didn't have a fast stroke as a freshmen imo, but I think that will change sometime this year. I am not sure his iso game will be there. Like Jerami, he could use some strength to aid it. I hope his handle ends up as good as jerami's was.

We love taking long stretch skinny forwards, and turning them into pf's as time goes on. That is no easy task though, usually once they become pf they need to start their drive from the high post in as opposed to the perimeter. It would be interesting to have something like 2 jerami grants, or two Donte Greene's on the wing.

To me, Roberson's HS tapes showed him playing well along the baseline and with the occasional post up. He even showed some 3 point range, too. Tyler's tape reminded me a lot of Ryan Blackwell. Crafty scoring around the rim. Not crazy explosive athleticism, but knows where to be on the floor. Pretty nice looking jump shot. There's a lot to like about his game. If he plays to that level, I'll be really pleased.

Some players make the team better despite all their mistakes, MCW had quite a bit of turnovers but he made the team alot better. Ennis had few turnovers and the same thing happened. Roberson was much more lost on the defensive end then CJ and Grant and just wasn't a offensive threat.

I agree JB can be cranky and go overboard on comments towards players, And he hates pressers alot of the time, but I agree 98% of the time with him about which players deserve more playing time.

The whipping boy theory comes from alot of plus minus, if you bring alot of plus you can afford some minus. Guys like Johnny Flynn, MCW, CJ Fair, Dion waiters have had days where they shoot like 2-16, but they deserve to be on the floor they are the core of the team at 14 plus ppg. JB has got mad at Baye, Rak, Cooney and pulled them equally as mad at times this year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom