Gillon wow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon wow

Love the depth, diversity and versatility of this team. Gillon, PC and TT are my 3 biggest surprises. I think we knew what the other guys would bring, but wow. Gillon looks great. TT has a great skillset and will earn more PT this year than I thought he'd get it, he has a well rounded offensive game for a freshman big and rebounds well. PC does a pretty good job of not being a foul magnet, which so many guys his size tend to be.

We usually haven't blown a lot of teams out the past few years - but this team I think will kill inferior teams. With our size, shooting, and depth, I truly think we can play with any team in the country,

RF, I gave you credit in the game thread but I'll say it again here: you were touting Gillon all summer and I thought there was no way he could be as good as you were saying he would be. But he has really impressed me so far and he looks like an outstanding player.

Thanks, HC. And I'm glad to hear that -- not in any way, shape, or form as an "I told you so" -- but rather because you are seeing what I saw this summer when I watched his clips. Insert the obligatory "this was only Holy Cross blah blah blah" qualifiers here. But I'm confident that this kid will continue to prove to be a high performing difference maker. The handle, the quickness, the driving, the ability to finish through contact, the insane left hand, the deep shooting range, the ability to create off of the bounce for himself and others, the look away passes -- kid is something else. It popped when I watched his game footage from last year how good he'd be in orange.

It is amazing that he is this good, and was available via "free agency" as a fifth year transfer. Man, did we ever luck out.

And pity the fool that tries to crowd up on him to prevent the 3.
MrT.jpg

Gillon will be able to shoot 3s against the ACC. Size won't matter that much. Look how well Isaiah Thomas (5-9) does with Celtics.

THIS. He doesn't force it, and only takes open 3's.

Teams HAVE to respect his speed and driving ability - which means he'll get good looks at 3 at times.

It is amazing that he is this good, and was available via "free agency" as a fifth year transfer. Man, did we ever luck out.

That's my thinking too. We probably got the best two guys to transfer here based on our program and situation. I can't get over AW3 either. The way this team feeds him the ball is so much better than Nebraska was doing. What huge boon to AW3 becoming Orange. If he keeps playing this good he's really going to increase his NBA draft stock (AW3 that is).

Gillion however, is such great player to have. He's a total x-factor because I think he has the ability to take over a game in spurts.

I tell you what I like most about Gillon: 26 assists in 4 games

And, his official (non-exhibition) stats are 15 assists and ONE turnover.

11/16 from field, 3/5 from 3.
28 points, plus 3 steals and 3 boards for good measure.

and - ALL in under 40 minutes, total.

that's pretty good, right? :cool:

Love him. Although he's going to have a tough time getting his three-point shot off in ACC play.

As long as he is the last pass on a swing around the perimeter, he will have time to get that away. When Gillon has time, he will make open threes. The rest of the time he will drive the lane or be running the break.

I don't agree, he only takes that shot when he's left alone. He's not taking contested 3's. And pity the fool that tries to crowd up on him to prevent the 3.

Similarly, I thought White was looking for his shot a lot in the first half, but he toned it down and remained in the flow of the offense. I'm thrilled with the chemistry so far.

As long as he is the last pass on a swing around the perimeter, he will have time to get that away. When Gillon has time, he will make open threes. The rest of the time he will drive the lane or be running the break.

When you're that fast you will have no problem getting a shot off, especially when there are going to be 3 or 4 other scoring options on the court. We'll see almost zero double teams this year. He doesn't need to be the last pass on the swing to get a shot off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom