Gillon wow | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon wow

Flynn?
Is he Payton Siva, or Russ Smith fast?

Jonny was incredible, quick and more explosive to the hoop but I don't think he was as fast as Gillon nor as under control going full steam to the hoop.

Gillon finishes at the basket the way Dion use to except he's making crazy layups with his left and right. Dion just dunked on everyone and I longed for the day I'd see another guard I felt this confident in heading to the hoop.

Silva, are you kidding me? lol. Russ was crazy fast, I'll give you that much but he was streaky at best and strictly a scorer. None of those dude possess the same court vision this kid does. Yes, it's Holy Cross and Colgate but what we can all agree on is this team could be on the verge on something incredible. Not since 2010 have we had this many options for scoring.

TBH, when we first got Gillon, I had never heard of him, so I looked at his stats at Colorado State. They were good, but not overly impressive, my first thought was "ok, Frank is the point, and JG3 will get around 8 - 10 minutes a game to spell him, it'll be good to have a 5th YR senior as a backup PG". Boy was I wrong, it just shows what Gillon can do with a lot of talent around him, which he didnt' have it CSU. And this is no indictment on Frank, who I think is playing VERY well overall. But you put Gillon around some NBA 1st round picks, and wow, the kid is dynamite.

Not to throw in a small dose of reality, but G is bound to have an off game, but that will definitely be the exception, so hope the love still flows. We need him to play like this against the Dukes and NCs, and they won't know what hit them. Coach K will call him AMAZING.

Last edited:
Give me two fifth year senior transfers of Gillon and White's caliber along with a Thompson type freshman and I will take it every year, even though the stress level this summer with recruiting was through the roof. Well worth the stress.

On the flip side, during one of the time outs last night, JG3 was a little late getting to the huddle. Looked like a midget standing on the outside, trying to work his way in there to hear what JB was saying. He's got to get to the huddle faster than that in the future.

Give me two fifth year senior transfers of Gillon and White's caliber along with a Thompson type freshman and I will take it every year, even though the stress level this summer with recruiting was through the roof. Well worth the stress.

Don't forget about Battle plus we have Moyer stashed. This was a great job of reloading by the staff.

So, play him tight on the three point line and get smoked with the blow by for a quick layup or a easy dump off when help comes over. There isn't a guard in the ACC that's faster than Gillon. That kid has to be the fasted guard I've seen in my lifetime at Cuse. I'm 39 ;)

I watched a bit of the Duke game and Frank Jackson is pretty darn quick. That said, he certainly doesn't have the experience that Gillon has, so right now I'd certainly take John over him.

This is going to be such a refreshing season with the depth compared to last year (regular season only of course!).

He'll adjust and be fine.

I don't know what this means - adjust what? His release?

He's a fifth-year senior with a slow set shot, there's no way that that's changing.

Now I expect Gillon to a) get a number of open looks because of his talented teammates and b) be discriminating enough to not shoot when closely guarded (he's got Jonny Flynn's skills and stature but seems to be more gifted in the maturity department). It's not unreasonable to note that he's got an unorthodox shot that won't be effective against high-level competition with the same consistency as a true jump-shooter, though.

And for the record, I'm loving watching this guy play. Extraordinary composure, vision, and finishing ability. What a cool experience to see a guard who knows how to put the ball into the basket...and he's got another guard with that skill starting over him. College basketball can be a lot of fun when you've got guards with the skills of guards.

Plus, a great hesitation and change of pace dribble moves.

And probably our best guard finisher since, I dunno, Devo or Jonny?

Jardine and Waiters.

Which is still a very long time.

I don't know what this means - adjust what? His release?

He's a fifth-year senior with a slow set shot, there's no way that that's changing.

Now I expect Gillon to a) get a number of open looks because of his talented teammates and b) be discriminating enough to not shoot when closely guarded (he's got Jonny Flynn's skills and stature but seems to be more gifted in the maturity department). It's not unreasonable to note that he's got an unorthodox shot that won't be effective against high-level competition with the same consistency as a true jump-shooter, though.

And for the record, I'm loving watching this guy play. Extraordinary composure, vision, and finishing ability. What a cool experience to see a guard who knows how to put the ball into the basket...and he's got another guard with that skill starting over him. College basketball can be a lot of fun when you've got guards with the skills of guards.

That's only partially correct. Wait until Gillon unveils the pull up three off of the full speed dribble, which he made routinely at CSU but hasn't shown at SU... yet. :)

His capacity to hit threes isn't limited to the set shot.

How was this guy not at a P5 school. Talent evaluators overrating size of course.

I've been asking people this since Friday (and I apologize for jumping the gun; hope this doesn't jinx the guy):

If you're drafting for a single college team (one season) and you've got no point guard yet, is there any scenario in which you'd pick Tyler Ennis over Gillon?

What high school talent evaluators see (and what NBA teams want, obviously) might be dramatically different than what works on the court in Division I.

That's only partially correct. Wait until Gillon unveils the pull up three off of the dribble, which he made a ton of shots at CSU with but hasn't shown at SU at all... yet.

You've seen a lot more of his play than I have. Unusual for a guy to adjust his mechanics that way, though.

You've seen a lot more of his play than I have. Unusual for a guy to adjust his mechanics that way, though.

It is a very fluid shot when Gillon takes it off of the pull up. Smooth. He only takes the set shot when he's deep, his feet are set, and he has room. Kind of weird.

Because he's 5-11, shoots from the hip and has a slow release.

Sheesh, based on the overreactions to my off-the-cuff comment you'd think I compared him to Hitler. It's not a big deal, like IthacaMatt said he'll only need to shoot threes when he's wide open anyway.

People HATE when you observe something that doesn't jibe with their sincere hope that every player on SU is perfect and we have an undefeated season. (Those were some weird responses you got.)

I see what you see, but we'll have to see if RF's observation plays out.

It is a set shot, from his forehead, and he takes it with no hesitation.

Gillon has a lot of variety to his game -- floaters in the lane, pull up jumpers in the lane, the acrobatic finishes. Can see the comparison to Flynn in those respects, but Flynn's 3 point shot was taken with elevation.

Ennis had what was essentially a set shot and he used it just fine in his time here.

Here's the crazy thing about Gillon... if he wasn't on the team, we'd all be raving about how much Frank Howard has improved. I mean, Frank is playing really well, exceeding expectations, but Gillon is on another level. The kid has been fabulous so far. Can't wait to see how he and Frank do against real teams.

Here's the crazy thing about Gillon... if he wasn't on the team, we'd all be raving about how much Frank Howard has improved. I mean, Frank is playing really well, exceeding expectations, but Gillon is on another level. The kid has been fabulous so far. Can't wait to see how he and Frank do against real teams.

Spot on -- agree 100%.

Between the two of them we have to be getting the best PG play offensively of anyone this season. Granted that's against 2 cupcakes but they are scoring efficiently, distributing and taking care of the ball.

That's only partially correct. Wait until Gillon unveils the pull up three off of the dribble, which he made a ton of shots at CSU with but hasn't shown at SU at all... yet.

I was texting with my brother last night and told him John Gillon is every short PG that has torched SU in the past rolled into one. I told him the basketball Gods owed SU after getting owned so many times by these guys.

Craftiness of Scottie Reynolds, Kemba Walker-esque speed, A.I finisher , Khalid El-Amin old man game while being blessed with Sherm like vision.

Agreed.

/checks schedule.
//Wisky coming up - that'll be a good test.
/// nothing else but mid-majors until January. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom