Gillon wow | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon wow

I don't know what this means - adjust what? His release?

He's a fifth-year senior with a slow set shot, there's no way that that's changing.

Now I expect Gillon to a) get a number of open looks because of his talented teammates and b) be discriminating enough to not shoot when closely guarded (he's got Jonny Flynn's skills and stature but seems to be more gifted in the maturity department). It's not unreasonable to note that he's got an unorthodox shot that won't be effective against high-level competition with the same consistency as a true jump-shooter, though.

And for the record, I'm loving watching this guy play. Extraordinary composure, vision, and finishing ability. What a cool experience to see a guard who knows how to put the ball into the basket...and he's got another guard with that skill starting over him. College basketball can be a lot of fun when you've got guards with the skills of guards.

Adjust in that he will learn out fast they close out and will not take the shot or he'll side step and get up a shot or use his own elite quickeness to go by them.

(The post I responded to didn't say his release was slow either. It was rather vague, so my response was too.)

Because he's 5-11, shoots from the hip and has a slow release.

Sheesh, based on the overreactions to my off-the-cuff comment you'd think I compared him to Hitler. It's not a big deal, like IthacaMatt said he'll only need to shoot threes when he's wide open anyway.

No. It was vague and was meant to elicit the response it got. If you have more to say about it you should have said it - rather than wait for people to figure out what you meant.

Adjust in that he will learn out fast they close out and will not take the shot or he'll side step and get up a shot or use his own elite quickeness to go by them.

(The post I responded to didn't say his release was slow either. It was rather vague, so my response was too.)

Gotcha. I think he's already adjusted in that respect - he's got a very measured approach to things.

Here's the crazy thing about Gillon... if he wasn't on the team, we'd all be raving about how much Frank Howard has improved. I mean, Frank is playing really well, exceeding expectations, but Gillon is on another level. The kid has been fabulous so far. Can't wait to see how he and Frank do against real teams.

The only expectations he is exceeding are those out of high school - he looked pretty good to me last year - big and strong for a PG - - excellent defender - excellent ball handling - excellent passing - and he can penetrate - even his shot wasn't as bad as it was made out to be - sure he played limited minutes but I've been laughing at this "we are in dire needs of a PG" when we have a good one that could be here 3 more years

The only expectations he is exceeding are those out of high school - he looked pretty good to me last year - big and strong for a PG - - excellent defender - excellent ball handling - excellent passing - and he can penetrate - even his shot wasn't as bad as it was made out to be - sure he played limited minutes but

Did you even watch him play last year?? :noidea:

For every solid D play he made, he'd make a terrible one.
For every amazing pass, there'd be in excusable turnover.
He had a 2/1 assist/turnover ratio - that's... not good.

As for his shooting - he couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.
29% from field, 11% from 3, 50% from the line -

what part of that wasn't as bad as it was made out to be ? :crazy:

I've been laughing at this "we are in dire needs of a PG" when we have a good one that could be here 3 more years

Well - IF he keeps playing really well this year, then there's the risk that he's our next MCW - which means we still need a PG next year.

Regardless, you always need more than one guy at any position, so as much as it's nice that he's playing great for us, you want to have options.

Even last nite - JB didn't like his effort on D, so he pulled him for Gillon.
Frankie missed an easy layup - pulled for Gillon.

Is it Johnny Gilynn naaa... its Johnny Fly-On

15 and 9 in ... 18 minutes.

Realistically he could have put up 30 and 20 tonight No Joke
The kid is special.

LOL, 20 what?

Did you even watch him play last year?? :noidea:

For every solid D play he made, he'd make a terrible one.
For every amazing pass, there'd be in excusable turnover.
He had a 2/1 assist/turnover ratio - that's... not good.

As for his shooting - he couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.
29% from field, 11% from 3, 50% from the line -

what part of that wasn't as bad as it was made out to be ? :crazy:

Well - IF he keeps playing really well this year, then there's the risk that he's our next MCW - which means we still need a PG next year.

Regardless, you always need more than one guy at any position, so as much as it's nice that he's playing great for us, you want to have options.

Even last nite - JB didn't like his effort on D, so he pulled him for Gillon.
Frankie missed an easy layup - pulled for Gillon.

As far as assist-to-turnover and Carter-Williams (since you brought him up) - he got drafted after a sophomore year with a ratio of (wait for it)...2:1.

And Howard's 2:1 last year blows our much-praised starting guards' ratios away. (I certainly don't consider that a high bar, but people here treat Gbinije especially as the second coming.)

Anyway, I'd dispute the characterization that an assist:turnover of 2:1 isn't good. It is pretty good, though we can't take much away from the numbers of anyone whose minutes were so inconsistent and infrequent. Same deal with the shooting numbers (were were objectively terrible). The success rate was awful, but the hand-wringing about Howard's shooting was over the top. It was clear that he had good form and seemed likely that his percentage was nothing that wouldn't be fixed without more reps in the game.

Agree that it's great to have two good point guards so each has the motivation to play hard and smart.

No. It was vague and was meant to elicit the response it got. If you have more to say about it you should have said it - rather than wait for people to figure out what you meant.
I'm sorry I offended you with my apparent conniving and intentional vagueness. I thought it was obvious why Gillon would have trouble getting three-point shots off in ACC play due to his lack of elevation if nothing else.

This is where Flynn was special it wasn't just his flashy dribbles it was his ability to go by his man at will. BUT his midpost game never rounded out. Even wide open 40% at best. I remember one day at pitt flynn went by Knigh effortlessly it got to the point where he just let him blow by play after play and not a player 10 feet away. Knight didn't even guard him because he was triple teamed inside the paint as he lacked the midpost pullup. If a guy like white rautins gmac southerland can knock down 9 threes in a game, and guys shoot freethrows at a 90% clip, there is no reason some players should not be able to knock down 9 midrange shots at a 60% clip with that speed. If scoop had flynns speed he would have been as good as flynn, imo better. Still curious where gillon stands speedwise, as he doesn't dribble much into open space yet, but that is hard to do when you have battle white lydon and howard on the perimeter, and with Roberson Thompson, Dajuan really extending some plays.

Scoop did just fine at 6'1 getting threes off, but he played in a no drive high post offense as a sophmore and jr giving him a lot of open space to dribble into especially on the perimeter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom