Girard | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

Which is why I am perplexed he is currently the 3rd option there. Carey is the starter, Goodine first off the bench, then Girard checks in at 2 guard and starts naturally running the point.

Well, to be fair, the other guys are better athletes from a run and jump and wing-span perspective.

Let Joe keep playing like he did the other day, and he will force his way into the rotation.

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but when they were on the court together they both brought the ball up and got into sets.

Usually Edelin handled it when they were both in. Gerry doesn't hit 6 threes in the first half of the championship game if he had to bring the ball upcourt, too, on every possession.

I could see him playing QB in Dino's offense and making it hum. He's got IT.
I know this is sarcastic but that sad thing is... I actually would be interested in seeing it at this point in the cuse fball season lol

I still don’t agree with some of this after rewatching the game. Goodine and Girard were in the game together quite a bit in the 2nd half. The whole time Goodine was the PG. A couple times Carleton doubled Goodine in the backcourt so Marek inbounded it to Girard. Once we got into the half court offense we do a jive job of moving the ball and everyone is touching it.
Nope. Girard was the primary point.

Of the PG options, JG3 is:
Best dribbler, left and right hand.
Best shooter.
Most poise.
Best FT shooter.
D is fine.

He should be the starting PG
He’s not played in one official game yet at the p5 level.

i have no doubts he’s very talented but theres nothing to really base this stuff off of

Nope. Girard was the primary point.

watch it again. It’s accessible thru the ESPN app.

I’ve been impressed so far, but isn’t it a little early to start calling Girard the best PG on the team? We haven’t played a regular season game yet, much less a conference game. Nor are we able to see how Girard does in practice working against superior athletes.

I think he will play, but give the guy a break. Let him prove himself and earn it, not start a debate like Dungey vs Devito last year. If he’s good he’ll get more playing time even if he doesn’t start. And that’s ok too.
Why is it early? The three candidates faced the exact same competition and to my eyes one out played the other two. Are ACC guards going to be that much more quicker and physical then Carleton’s? They feel like the exact type of player Girard would struggle with and Carey would do better with. Yet, again to my eyes, the reverse happened.

I know this is sarcastic but that sad thing is... I actually would be interested in seeing it at this point in the cuse fball season lol
Serious, not sarcastic. He has the look of a gun slinger to me. Cold, calculated and one step ahead of the other guy.

Why is it early? The three candidates faced the exact same competition and to my eyes one out played the other two. Are ACC guards going to be that much more quicker and physical then Carleton’s? They feel like the exact type of player Girard would struggle with and Carey would do better with. Yet, again to my eyes, the reverse happened.

umm... Yes the guards in the ACC will be bigger and more athletic than the Carlton guards. Play will get rougher and more physical. He may do great. I hope he does. But two exhibition games prove little as to how successful he will be this year.

Substitution rotations in exhibitions are often meaningless.

Well, they do give respect to returnees and highly rated newcomers.

But when you have the supposed 3rd string guy drop a quick 7 points in 30 seconds, and the guys supposedly ahead of him don't play particularly well, that pecking order isn't going to last very long.

Well, they do give respect to returnees and highly rated newcomers.

But when you have the supposed 3rd string guy drop a quick 7 points in 30 seconds, and the guys supposedly ahead of him don't play particularly well, that pecking order isn't going to last very long.

who didn’t play particularly well? All 3 played pretty well.

I’ve been impressed so far, but isn’t it a little early to start calling Girard the best PG on the team? We haven’t played a regular season game yet, much less a conference game. Nor are we able to see how Girard does in practice working against superior athletes.

I think he will play, but give the guy a break. Let him prove himself and earn it, not start a debate like Dungey vs Devito last year. If he’s good he’ll get more playing time even if he doesn’t start. And that’s ok too.
Why do you believe either of the other guys is a superior athlete? I have not seen evidence of that, to date. Or, maybe you think Girard just gets by on his guile and craftiness.

As a QB, Girard is, at least, accustomed to much larger people gunning to slam him and throw him to the ground. He'll only be facing that against Duke, or maybe Pitt.

Why do you believe either of the other guys is a superior athlete? I have not seen evidence of that, to date. Or, maybe you think Girard just gets by on his guile and craftiness.
You kidding? Both Carey and Goodine are quicker, better jumpers, and flat out faster. Those are athletic qualities. Not saying Girard isn’t athletic, but he’s nowhere close to them as a pure athlete.

As a QB, Girard is, at least, accustomed to much larger people gunning to slam him and throw him to the ground. He'll only be facing that against Duke, or maybe Pitt.

In class C (D?) high school football, there aren’t going to be many players on the field bigger than Girard. Maybe some fatter ones.

In class C (D?) high school football, there aren’t going to be many players on the field bigger than Girard. Maybe some fatter ones.

Class B. There are plenty of big kids at that level. And he was playing mostly Class A schools in basketball throughout high school due to a league that was mixed. I have no idea how he'd do at the college level in football but its strange how people continually try to downgrade his previous accomplishments. He has been a gamer throughout his young career no matter the sport or competition level. He steps up. No reason to bash the guy or belittle what he has done.

Last edited:
who didn’t play particularly well? All 3 played pretty well.

Carey had some moments, but he has been weakest of the bunch.
I've seen both games. I know we have to give Carey some time to play through mistakes, but right now he looks like he may not work out like we were hoping.

Class B. There are plenty of big kids at that level. And he was playing mostly Class A schools in basketball throughout high school due to a league that was mixed. I have no idea how he'd do at the college level in football but its strange how people continually try to downgrade his previous accomplishments. He has been a gamer throughout his young career no matter the sport or competition level. He steps up. No reason to bash the guy or belittle what he has done.

Ftr, I diminished nothing about his accomplishments. Just pointing out that high school defensive linemen are typically pretty small by football standards, especially in central/upstate NY.

For context, I played in class A. He’s bigger than our biggest defensive end was. And our D line size wasn’t anomalously small.

Ftr, I diminished nothing about his accomplishments. Just pointing out that high school defensive linemen are typically pretty small by football standards, especially in central/upstate NY.

For context, I played in class A. He’s bigger than our biggest defensive end was. And our D line size wasn’t anomalously small.

I guess I could have played football up that way in NY 20 years ago at 5'3 150. Maybe even gotten to play on the d-line? In the lowest level of HS football in rural PA, not one d lineman was Girards size or smaller. Everybody was over 190-200 lbs at the smallest.

I guess I could have played football up that way in NY 20 years ago at 5'3 150. Maybe even gotten to play on the d-line? In the lowest level of HS football in rural PA, not one d lineman was Girards size or smaller. Everybody was over 190-200 lbs at the smallest.

I’m talking 10 years ago.

There were fatter kids. But like 5’10”, 220. Kids like that aren’t the beasts described in the original post. Most kids Girard was running circles around in high school were some combination of smaller or slower, often both.

Was he an incredible multiple state champ who would have been a dominant athlete at any level? Yes.

People just seem to forget that D1 PGs are big by football standards. They look small next to Forwards, but the guys are physical monsters. Maybe ‘monsters’ is an exaggeration, but they’re big boys.

Edit: and yes, you could’ve played football at your size if you like the sport. Why would being small not permit you to play football?

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey had some moments, but he has been weakest of the bunch.
I've seen both games. I know we have to give Carey some time to play through mistakes, but right now he looks like he may not work out like we were hoping.

vs Carleton Carey did not have a turnover. Did have one shot blocked when driving to the basket. Made a 3 and a pull up jumper. Nothing special but certainly fine. Don’t know what the moments were or the mistakes.

I’m talking 10 years ago.

There were fatter kids. But like 5’10”, 220. Kids like that aren’t the beasts described in the original post. Most kids Girard was running circles around in high school were some combination of smaller or slower, often both.

Was he an incredible multiple state champ who would have been a dominant athlete at any level? Yes.

People just seem to forget that D1 PGs are big by football standards. They look small next to Forwards, but the guys are physical monsters. Maybe ‘monsters’ is an exaggeration, but they’re big boys.

Edit: and yes, you could’ve played football at your size if you like the sport. Why would being small not permit you to play football?

I didn't say i wouldn't. I was referencing as a Dlineman - so maybe should have phrased it more directly. Just to make point. Also when it comes to Girard the point here is about physicality and absorbing contact. Obviously he wasn't seeing 270 lb NFL sized DTs every game. But he wasnt facing a bunch of guys my size then either. The physicality and comfort maneuvering through it is a clear advantage he has from playing football and it is showing up. Pair that with overcoming triple teams in hoops and he was just as prepared if not more than a prep school kid or a kid who played a higher level of hoops talent every night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom