Girard | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

Oh, sorry. One D1 guy in five years, recruited not by Nova but UAlbany. Yeah, league is loaded with talent.
There are some weak teams in JGIII’s league, but there has been a lot of individual talent over the past 15 years - 2 kids to Siena, 1 to Fairfield, Jimmer, Cremo, Andre Jackson and his little brother played at Amsterdam before transferring to Albany Academy off the top of my head.

There are some weak teams in JGIII’s league, but there has been a lot of individual talent over the past 15 years - 2 kids to Siena, 1 to Fairfield, Jimmer, Cremo, Andre Jackson and his little brother played at Amsterdam before transferring to Albany Academy off the top of my head.
None of whom Girard actually played against. He saw mostly guys who won’t even play D2.

None of whom Girard actually played against. He saw mostly guys who won’t even play D2.

It probably would have been good if he had transferred to a NE Prep for his senior year (if not earlier) or even Albany Academy, but really only for SU-centric reasons (kinda like Buddy Boeheim or Tyler Lydon). Iron sharpens iron and, i think it is fair to say, that most of his competition in the Foothills Council, was easily two or three notches below his playing level. The O'Dell kid at Schalmont is a baller though (played in Sectionals).

What does it matter now though? Here we are. UVA will be an amazing first test for him, Goodine, and Guerrier.

I was very impressed with his confidence in his left hand. You don't see freshman (or a lot of college guards in general) willing to use their left like he was against Carleton. I'm interested to see him take the ball up against ACC level competition.

He also played for the City Rocks so I’m not sure why people keep harping on this. The team with he, Buddy, and Isaiah Stewart made it to Peach Jam and so did the team with just he and Isaiah.

I tried to get in to see that game at Peach Jam, with Stewart and Girard, but the gym was packed out.

Hope JG3 gets at least 15 minutes of playing time tonight. Wouldn't be surprised to see him impress big time.

Hope JG3 gets at least 15 minutes of playing time tonight. Wouldn't be surprised to see him impress big time.

15 would be a lot for a freshman at our deepest position.

I don’t give a rats &@$ where he came from. The kid is a basketball player who knows how to play the game. He will play a significant role this year.

For the love of God even Coach K offered the kid. He’s special and he’s ours!

Of the PG options, JG3 is:
Best dribbler, left and right hand.
Best shooter.
Most poise.
Best FT shooter.
D is fine.

He should be the starting PG
100%. It is very clear who is the best PG on this team currently. I think Carey need to really start playing better or his time will diminish as the season is going on.

Guys, we can go ahead and stop acting like JG3 was slept on as a recruit. People knew he could ball; just relax for a minute before anointing him the best Frosh PG since Ennis.

The effusive praise seems like an over-correction/overreaction. Let’s maybe not put the team’s success or failure on his shoulders just yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t give a rats &@$ where he came from. The kid is a basketball player who knows how to play the game. He will play a significant role this year.

For the love of God even Coach K offered the kid. He’s special and he’s ours!
He is real and spectacular!

15 would be a lot for a freshman at our deepest position.
22...quack quack. Glad to see this and hopes his minutes increase as the season goes on.

22...quack quack. Glad to see this and hopes his minutes increase as the season goes on.

34 points really blows your skirt up, huh?

edit: I hate that I’m going to have to be the one in the position of tempering expectations for Girard and diffusing hate for Carey. I genuinely like both players and was probably one of the very first posters on the ‘Girard is awesome’ train.

Anyway, Carey outplayed Girard by the numbers. Neither was good and the margin between the 2 was slim. But saying you want more than 22 minutes from a guard who looked bad, statistically and by the eyeball test, in a game where we scored 34 points, is a little nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

edit: I hate that I’m going to have to be the one in the position of tempering expectations for Girard and diffusing hate for Carey. I genuinely like both players and was probably one of the very first posters on the ‘Girard is awesome’ train.

Anyway, Carey outplayed Girard by the numbers. Neither was good and the margin between the 2 was slim. But saying you want more than 22 minutes from a guard who looked bad, statistically and by the eyeball test, in a game where we scored 34 points, is a little nuts.

Ya, not to carry this thread in the wrong direction, but I'm tired of defending guys (like Carey, who I also like) who the fanbase turns on so aggressively.

The program's player development, especially with guards, has been atrocious for years. Is it Carey's fault? Kaleb Joseph's? Howard's? Cooney's?

I'm leaning toward no.

That wasn’t my point. No one is happy about the points. We lost. Next. Just glad to see he got more minutes than was expected. Think JG will become more relied upon at the point as the season goes on.

There were a few plays in the first half where MD and JGIII executed pick/roll and/or kick-out perfectly. I can see JGIII getting 25+ of the PG minutes 1/2 way through the season. The ball moved better when he was in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom