Girard

Of the PG options, JG3 is:
Best dribbler, left and right hand.
Best shooter.
Most poise.
Best FT shooter.
D is fine.

He should be the starting PG
Think you may be right, but limited sample size so far. JB has some options hopefully, and hopefully he uses them

Best shooter.
Most poise.
Best FT shooter.
D is fine.

Which is why I am perplexed he is currently the 3rd option there. Carey is the starter, Goodine first off the bench, then Girard checks in at 2 guard and starts naturally running the point.

As noted earlier, Edelin couldn't play until January.

In October 2003, Syracuse's eligible guards were Kueth Duany, Tyrone Albright, and McNamara. Pretty clear who was going to earn a starting job.
So for conference play. Had to be decided by the end of December. So he had to earn and KEEP a starting job.

So for conference play. Had to be decided by the end of December. So he had to earn and KEEP a starting job.

Billy came into the lineup the week of the Pittsburgh game, when the second semester started (mid-to-late January).

We are deep into the weeds here. My initial post was that precedent suggests that Boeheim, since changing his defensive philosophy in 2009, is unlikely to start an undersized freshman guard when he's got either bigger or more veteran players to choose from.

The reply (not yours) about McNamara wasn't pertinent, but your post does offer another data point from a different era that doesn't disprove my contention: when Boeheim needed to fill out a lineup and he had to choose among a walk-on, a senior swingman, and a short scholarship freshman, he went with the second two. When he had the option of bumping the incumbent short scholarship freshman in favor of another freshman who'd been suspended from the team for a year and a half, he stuck with the short scholarship freshman.

As is the case today, experience has long been important to Boeheim (and since 2009, as I stated in the first post on the subject, size has been prized as well), and that's why I think Girard has an uphill battle for playing time. If he earns it, he's a special player.

I’ve been impressed so far, but isn’t it a little early to start calling Girard the best PG on the team? We haven’t played a regular season game yet, much less a conference game. Nor are we able to see how Girard does in practice working against superior athletes.

I think he will play, but give the guy a break. Let him prove himself and earn it, not start a debate like Dungey vs Devito last year. If he’s good he’ll get more playing time even if he doesn’t start. And that’s ok too.

Which is why I am perplexed he is currently the 3rd option there. Carey is the starter, Goodine first off the bench, then Girard checks in at 2 guard and starts naturally running the point.
I haven’t seen the scrimmages so I’m only going off what I saw in the all-star game I watched. I thought his handle was a bit of a question mark — not bad but not great. I’d be surprised — not shocked, but surprised — if he was completely in control of his handle vs. acc/big-time competition. I also think he needs to adjust to the speed and length of the athletes he’s facing. Made quite a few bad passes in that game — along with some really nice feeds for easy buckets.

To me, the thing that stands out is the swag. Competitive and extremely confident. Those are good things even if they lead to some frustrating moments.

Given that we recruited him hard with three competent guards (Carey, Washington, buddy) on the roster and recruit we really liked (goodine) already in the fold tells me they think he can contribute early.

Time will tell but I’ll be interested to see what his role is and what his impact is this season.

I’ve been impressed so far, but isn’t it a little early to start calling Girard the best PG on the team? We haven’t played a regular season game yet, much less a conference game. Nor are we able to see how Girard does in practice working against superior athletes.

I think he will play, but give the guy a break. Let him prove himself and earn it, not start a debate like Dungey vs Devito last year. If he’s good he’ll get more playing time even if he doesn’t start. And that’s ok too.
I was comfortable after Memphis game declaring Carmelo something special. I’m comfortable saying that Girard is something unique and a guy who is a floor leader. Leadership is an “it” thing. Day 1 I can see it.

Carey’s handle is so loosy goosy. Feel a lot more comfortable w him not running the show.

Except for when he and Edelin were on the floor together...
Maybe I am remembering wrong, but when they were on the court together they both brought the ball up and got into sets.

I was comfortable after Memphis game declaring Carmelo something special. I’m comfortable saying that Girard is something unique and a guy who is a floor leader. Leadership is an “it” thing. Day 1 I can see it.

Carey’s handle is so loosy goosy. Feel a lot more comfortable w him not running the show.

Memphis ≠ Carleton.

People who made declarative statements about Carmelo against Marathon Oil might've turned out correct, but their evidence was shaky.

If Girard looks great on Tuesday against a real team, we'll have something to talk about.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen the scrimmages so I’m only going off what I saw in the all-star game I watched. I thought his handle was a bit of a question mark — not bad but not great. I’d be surprised — not shocked, but surprised — if he was completely in control of his handle vs. acc/big-time competition. I also think he needs to adjust to the speed and length of the athletes he’s facing. Made quite a few bad passes in that game — along with some really nice feeds for easy buckets.

To me, the thing that stands out is the swag. Competitive and extremely confident. Those are good things even if they lead to some frustrating moments.

Given that we recruited him hard with three competent guards (Carey, Washington, buddy) on the roster and recruit we really liked (goodine) already in the fold tells me they think he can contribute early.

Time will tell but I’ll be interested to see what his role is and what his impact is this season.

In fairness- this is coming from watching the exhibition games. If only using his HS and all star tapes I would absolutely agree with you. His handle looks really good. Carleton is a quality A-10 level team who pressured all game. JG3 by far as the most comfortable vs the pressure as he looked nearly the calmest vs Daemen too. He is likely the most comfortable with being on the ball right now. Best PG on the team? I think you have to look at everything. Right now that is a 3 man race. No one is going to be crowned for a bit yet.

Giving you the like here mostly because of your leadership remark. No doubt, he appears to have the "it" as leadership is innate.

I still don’t agree with some of this after rewatching the game. Goodine and Girard were in the game together quite a bit in the 2nd half. The whole time Goodine was the PG. A couple times Carleton doubled Goodine in the backcourt so Marek inbounded it to Girard. Once we got into the half court offense we do a jive job of moving the ball and everyone is touching it.

They are all combo guards. None are a true point. I imagine they are interchangeable with respect to who brings the ball up. Who handles will likely be the result of who has the weakest on-ball defender guarding him, and what particular set is being run (Girard was the only one of the three who was doing that crazy Trevor Cooney-esque run off low block screens).

Best shooter.
Most poise.
Best FT shooter.
D is fine.

Other than probably the best shooter and FT shooter, I don’t think you can just say the others. His D is fine maybe but it’s a big drop off from Carey and Goodine. We only had 1 turnover from the guards last game so I don’t know what you’re measuring (Girards 2 we’re both offensive fouls so I don’t count them the same).

Im happy that we seem to have good ball movement and several players including Hughes can initiate the offense. I’d rather celebrate that than debate who’s the better ball handler, better PG, etc.

Im happy that we seem to have good ball movement and several players including Hughes can initiate the offense. I’d rather celebrate that than debate who’s the better ball handler, better PG, etc.

Agree. I only quibble about my perception because it's difficult enough learning to play college basketball in a new system and adjusting to the speed and physicality of the game without picking up a new position. With our riches of ballhandlers, I would much rather see Goodine play exclusively at the two this year (which I think he could do very well) and get comfortable with that. If the point is in his future, he can try it down the line.

I say this as someone who's wearily watched a bit of growing pains in the Kaleb Josephs and Frank Howards of the world in the last few years. It'd be nice to see a freshman play to his strengths while he gets his feet wet rather than get thrown into the deep end of the pool.

Will he get a chance? (That is, will Boeheim decide to go against 11 years of precedent and say "what the hell, let's give minutes to the short freshman who's never played my defense before"?)

Time will tell.

I seem to remember a short, spunky kid from NEPA who he gave a chance to. Worked out pretty well, if I remember it correctly.

Why? What is he going to do to other teams? Kick them? Write poetry? :rolleyes:

He's going to come off the bench and hit a handful of threes, like those guys from Notre Dame seem to do to us every year.

Best shooter.
Most poise.
Best FT shooter.
D is fine.

We'll begin to see for real next Wednesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom