Give JB one more year. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Give JB one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you should have realistic expectations, based on recruiting and players leaving early for the NBA. which includes 4 years of sanctions. Are you aware Syracuse had significant sanctions, or do you pretend that didn’t happen too?
We had sanctions?

I'd like to wade in to this topic.

I'm not ready to say "he gets one more year", but I think you'll be looking at a decision
point in two years due to a few factors. Let's posit that if SU has a great year next year,
that time gets pushed off. BUT ...

You have a 73 year old coach, who could afford to change some things that would seem
to make his job easier, but he won't. But he is getting older, and there are reasons
few coaches last into their 70s.

SU is in his worst four year stretch. His previous worst resulted in a 96-47 record; this stretch,
giving two more regular season wins, and assuming 1-1 in the ACC and "a postseason tourney",
is headed for 81-56, with only one NCAA tourney appearance. That's not good. And for a sport
that is the moneymaker on campus, I can't imagine the admins would sign up for 81-56 for the
next four years. I think fans are underestimating this factor.

Now, players. Whatever the state of roster flux, going forward, JB's time is tied to
Buddy's time at SU. If he's a role player, and SU does great, no problems. If he's given
the keys to the kingdom, and SU doesn't, it's going to be an issue, for the simple fact
that other top recruits are going to look and say "well, I won't play ahead of him, so why
consider going there?" If, if, if, ... Bazley gets the TRob treatment, and Buddy can do no
wrong, you're not going to see and top SF or 2G prospect heading to the Cuse. That's going
to happen.

So, JB'll get 'time', but if mediocrity starts affecting the sports department at SU, I don't
think he's going to get the time he wants.

Kev

Exactly. Did you join OrangeNation after the 2012 or 2016 Final Four runs? :)
Actually home grown Syracuse fan since I was 8 years old. The first game I ever went to was in 1986 when Navy beat us in the NCAA. From 1987 to about 1996 I went with my dad to SU games. From 1996 onward to the present, including my time attending Syracuse, I have been a season ticket holder.

So apparently we can only have an opinion of the program if we are older than 50?

The board loves to talk crap about players, but JB is off limits. Got it.

I’m 46. I used to go to practices at the Dome when Pearl was a freshman. We sucked back then. You “kids” don’t even know what it’s like to suffer through a 16-13 season. Spoiled bt the very guy you want to can.

I'd like to wade in to this topic.

I'm not ready to say "he gets one more year", but I think you'll be looking at a decision
point in two years due to a few factors. Let's posit that if SU has a great year next year,
that time gets pushed off. BUT ...

You have a 73 year old coach, who could afford to change some things that would seem
to make his job easier, but he won't. But he is getting older, and there are reasons
few coaches last into their 70s.

SU is in his worst four year stretch. His previous worst resulted in a 96-47 record; this stretch,
giving two more regular season wins, and assuming 1-1 in the ACC and "a postseason tourney",
is headed for 81-56, with only one NCAA tourney appearance. That's not good. And for a sport
that is the moneymaker on campus, I can't imagine the admins would sign up for 81-56 for the
next four years. I think fans are underestimating this factor.

Now, players. Whatever the state of roster flux, going forward, JB's time is tied to
Buddy's time at SU. If he's a role player, and SU does great, no problems. If he's given
the keys to the kingdom, and SU doesn't, it's going to be an issue, for the simple fact
that other top recruits are going to look and say "well, I won't play ahead of him, so why
consider going there?" If, if, if, ... Bazley gets the TRob treatment, and Buddy can do no
wrong, you're not going to see and top SF or 2G prospect heading to the Cuse. That's going
to happen.

So, JB'll get 'time', but if mediocrity starts affecting the sports department at SU, I don't
think he's going to get the time he wants.

Kev

Kev...Boehiem landed a Top 10 kid and a Top 30 kid. Almost everyone back next year. We good!

Actually home grown Syracuse fan since I was 8 years old. The first game I ever went to was in 1986 when Navy beat us in the NCAA. From 1987 to about 1992 I went with my dad to SU games. From 1993 onward to the present, including my time attending Syracuse, I have been a season ticket holder.

That’s better than most. Good for you Ryan. So you recall some lean years. Thx!

Makes sense, one group is getting paid millions of dollars, and the other isn't.

Oh right

Yeah...the players are the ones making or missing the buckets. Only so much a coach can do, right? Regardless of pay?

Yep, quite alright to make inappropriate comments about Tyler Roberson, but heaven forbid someone even second-guess (much less criticize or insult) the paid professional.

This board makes no sense sometimes.

Tyler Roberson poohed the bed. He sucked. A coach can’t say that? Tom Izzo did.

Yeah...the players are the ones making or missing the buckets. Only so much a coach can do, right? Regardless of pay?
The coach calls what defense to play and it didn’t work last night. The coach calls the offensive sets too, so the coach does effect if the kids are making buckets.

The coach calls what defense to play and it didn’t work last night. The coach calls the offensive sets too, so the coach does effect of the kids are making buckets.

Yeah...so the coach calls the plays. The players don’t execute. But god forbid we blame the players because (gasp) they don’t get paid! Sometimes...it’s the players fault.

I’m 46. I used to go to practices at the Dome when Pearl was a freshman. We sucked back then. You “kids” don’t even know what it’s like to suffer through a 16-13 season. Spoiled bt the very guy you want to can.

I sat through 97 and 2006-2008. Suck is relative. When’s the last time we missed the tournament 3 times in 4 years?

This is just ridlicious.
Now I can see how Joe Paterno was able to survive as long as he did.

Joe Paterno was a great coach for many years. what are you trying to say kid?

Yeah...so the coach calls the plays. The players don’t execute. But god forbid we blame the players because (gasp) they don’t get paid! Sometimes...it’s the players fault.
I don't disagree with that last statement one bit. I'm just saying the coach does have an influence.

I sat through 97 and 2006-2008. Suck is relative. When’s the last time we missed the tournament 3 times in 4 years?

Oh you did? Wow. So did I. We couldn’t go one year because of self-sanctions. Did we go to any Final Fours 2006-2008?

Tyler Roberson poohed the bed. He sucked. A coach can’t say that? Tom Izzo did.
No.
You can’t kill the kid publicly he isn’t a pro and the reason he had no else was JB’s fault.
Etan Thomas killed JB for those comments.
The fact you defend JB from the Roberson comments just shows the guy can do no wrong.

Oh you did? Wow. So did I. We couldn’t go one year because of self-sanctions. Did we go to any Final Fours 2006-2008?

Of course he does...but reading these posts, you’d think it’s all on JB, which is silly.

Kev...Boehiem landed a Top 10 kid and a Top 30 kid. Almost everyone back next year. We good!

How do I bookmark a post to refer to later? Almost everyone back next year? How do you come to this conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom