Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

1) G.J. Kinne
2) Ryan Silverfield
3) Shawn Clark
4) Cignetti
5) Jeff Traylor

Bonus add on there…. Bob Chesney
Which Cignetti? JMU HC or the Pitt OC?

It won't happen, and it's a pipe dream of mine, but with the changing college football landscape and the inevitable dissolution of the ACC, I think we need to make a splash hire right now if we are serious about football, and even want a shot at staying in the next iteration of the P5. Also, we've all complained about the lack of local fan support over the past year, and by bringing in a name that the casual fan knows and recognizes, SU will get them back into the dome (at least for next year). Also, it will help with recruiting having a known commodity and a proven winner as HC. With that said here is my list in no particular order:

Urban Myer
Tom Herman
Bob Stoops (not sure he'd come back to college coaching)
Chris Peterson
Matt Patricia

Hire the next Lance Leipold at the same time UB did. That's the profile, IMO. Friendly contract that if it backfires you can move on in 3 years. If he's showing promise then you keep going. Just can't have 8 years!

Take the gamble

It won't happen, and it's a pipe dream of mine, but with the changing college football landscape and the inevitable dissolution of the ACC, I think we need to make a splash hire right now if we are serious about football, and even want a shot at staying in the next iteration of the P5. Also, we've all complained about the lack of local fan support over the past year, and by bringing in a name that the casual fan knows and recognizes, SU will get them back into the dome (at least for next year). Also, it will help with recruiting having a known commodity and a proven winner as HC. With that said here is my list in no particular order:

Urban Myer
Tom Herman
Bob Stoops (not sure he'd come back to college coaching)
Chris Peterson
Matt Patricia
stop with urban meyer. u got a better chance of art briles coming with clay travis as his offensive coordinator/dogwhistle

Any serious candidate would have to excite the donors. It’s all about the bags that we can offer in the portal. Any coach considering this job is going to want assurances that they’ll have enough money in the kitty to attract playmakers.

I want a coach who actually looks engaged and like they actually care when they are on the sidelines. I want the guy who throws his headset down when he gets mad and who will get in an officials ear when necessary. I want a coach who preaches consistency and accountability and discipline in the game and out of the game. I want a coach who is a players coach and a team builder; his players want to win for him and for each other. I can go on but will leave it there. Obviously a lot of what was discussed above is important also.

Hire the next Lance Leipold at the same time UB did. That's the profile, IMO. Friendly contract that if it backfires you can move on in 3 years. If he's showing promise then you keep going. Just can't have 8 years!

Take the gamble

Stanford did that BTW. I think Carty would fit the mold but not sure he would leave his alma mater. Chesney would be the other choice.

Kliff Kingsbury is a coordinator at USC these days.
I think Arizona paid him 30 mil to go away. probably lives in Malibu and quite happy where he is at for a while, I would think. No way he comes to Syracuse. I don't even think he's a coordinator there, Riley calls the plays regardless.
Stanford did that BTW. I think Carty would fit the mold but not sure he would leave his alma mater. Chesney would be the other choice.
It's a huge gamble but could be one worth taking, that type of hire

Dan Mullen
Jamey Chadwell
Willie Fritz
Brian Hartline
Tom Herman
Selfishly I like Mullen a lot but my concern with anyone on this list is that we have literally no interest in paying 5-6M a year for a HC. I hope we are but I doubt it. Hopefully the program proves me wrong.

Selfishly I like Mullen a lot but my concern with anyone on this list is that we have literally no interest in paying 5-6M a year for a HC. I hope we are but I doubt it. Hopefully the program proves me wrong.
I wouldn't pay any of those guys that type of $. rather pay a third of that and go outside the box and after a few years you could move on much easier if need be. I mean the last 25 years have shown that Syracuse isn't the easiest place to win college football games.

Someone needs to tell me the budget for the HC and if there would be commiserate salaries for the assistants.

Without that consideration, I dunno, I guess Chesney, Cignetti, maybe Mullen, but I'm not sure. We're talking someone that is going to have to be able to excite donors and also be able to manage turning over a ton of the roster very quickly and then be able to coach.

All I know is I think the sooner we can outwardly start the search, the better.

It has to be someone who has had success program building at the P5 level.

My line of work is turning around companies. It’s what I do. And I can’t tell you how valuable it is to recruit people for the team that have similar experience. It isn’t just the experience per se, it’s the mental toughness you need to be able to walk into a situation that’s broken, see the potential, and ride the crazy storm of a turnaround plan.

That’s the type of person we need. Someone who has done it before and has been successful with it, and has had some sustained success at a P5. Someone who prioritizes building a disciplined program with strong line play. A building blocks guy that can surround himself with strong position coaches that are solid recruiters.

Take the gamble
I don't throw specific names out, because what the hell do I know. But I would pick from one of these 2 approaches.

One way is to try and spend our way out of the abyss. Throw double what we pay Dino, or more, at a real coach. Convince the right boosters to promise the moon to him. To me, this is what my Pats did pivotally back when the stopped screwing around and hired Parcells. This is a big risk, but I have to be honest, it'd be wonderful to see SU commit financially to football for real just one time in my life.

Other way is to target the hottest up-and-comer we can find. Hope like hell he can turn things around so much that he's poached by a bigger program after a few years. That'd be a great problem to have, IMHO, Instead of trying to convince ourselves that the mediocre JAG we have as HC is better than he looks. Commit to being nimble -- HC gets 3 years, 4 max, and if it ain't working then take another swing. This is probably the most likely path,

I wouldn't pay any of those guys that type of $. rather pay a third of that and go outside the box and after a few years you could move on much easier if need be. I mean the last 25 years have shown that Syracuse isn't the easiest place to win college football games.
That’s basically what we did with Dino and got 8 years of whatever this has been. I hear you but I’m tired of going cheap and hoping lol.

Yeah pay 2 million and find another mediocre MAC coach. I don't know if that's been tried hmm.

If they are going to hire some current mid/ mediocre MAC coach, D2 guy, or somebody whose only experience in the P5 is as a position coach over 10 years ago, I am not interested. I would rather then just roll the dice with Uncle freaking Rico, maybe he can at least show the QB's how to throw the ball better.

My list is Dan Mullen and Sean Lewis to start, then Tony White in distant 3rd. Lewis had success as a HC at Kent St and turned that dumpster fire around. Also, his name has gotten a little more shine since he went to Colorado. It's only a matter of time before he gets a HC job in P5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah pay 2 million and find another mediocre MAC coach. I don't know if that's been tried hmm.
I am talking about even bigger gamble than that. Leipold when UB hired him, that's the type of move.

What was Sean Lewis? Another MAC coach. He had 1 winning season at Kent St. It's all a gamble

Goofy post

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom