Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Don't have a list, but have a resume

Must haves:
- Head coaching experience
- Dynamic speaker that can bring immediate excitement to the program
- Direct relationships in core recruiting areas or with assistant coaches who have such relationships
- Not a transitional hire. Young enough to be a potential 8 - 10 year guy but with ties to the area or program that might keep him from considering it a stepping stone job.
- Strong network of mentors / colleagues he can call on for outside opinions if needed
- Experience and full understanding of transfer portal strategy and mechanics
- Ability to energize donors to maximize NIL resources

Nice to haves:
- Personal or family ties to Syracuse University or Upstate NY
- Ability to relate to culturally diverse player pool
- Some level of NFL experience either directly, or in previous experience in a program that has a striong record of developing sending players to the league.

Don't have a list, but have a resume

Must haves:
- Head coaching experience
- Dynamic speaker that can bring immediate excitement to the program
- Direct relationships in core recruiting areas or with assistant coaches who have such relationships
- Not a transitional hire. Young enough to be a potential 8 - 10 year guy but with ties to the area or program that might keep him from considering it a stepping stone job.
- Strong network of mentors / colleagues he can call on for outside opinions if needed
- Experience and full understanding of transfer portal strategy and mechanics
- Ability to energize donors to maximize NIL resources

Nice to haves:
- Personal or family ties to Syracuse University or Upstate NY
- Ability to relate to culturally diverse player pool
- Some level of NFL experience either directly, or in previous experience in a program that has a striong record of developing sending players to the league.

Home run hire for sure if we were to get someone like that

Chesney
Cignetti
Mullen
RichRod
Manny Diaz
Fritz
Chadwell
Paul Johnson ;-)
I am very on board the RichRod train. Jax State is legit year one in FBS and that is an offense that really fits the Dome.

This take will get me yelled at BUT if I were in total control and could make any changes I would like, I would stop playing football in a dome and start running the triple. Uses the cold weather to our advantage against southern schools the second half of the season and helps negate the recruiting disadvantages. It'll never happen but I enjoy daydreaming about it.

More importantly, I would also sell beer until the end of the third quarter.

I am very on board the RichRod train. Jax State is legit year one in FBS and that is an offense that really fits the Dome.

This take will get me yelled at BUT if I were in total control and could make any changes I would like, I would stop playing football in a dome and start running the triple. Uses the cold weather to our advantage against southern schools the second half of the season and helps negate the recruiting disadvantages. It'll never happen but I enjoy daydreaming about it.

More importantly, I would also sell beer until the end of the third quarter.

We were one of the first to start selling beer

We’re one of the last to only sell beer until the end of halftime

Some coaches with success at the P5 level if we want to go that way...

Dan Mullen
Tom Herman
Gus Malzahn (long shot off new contract)

Scary thing is that Dino checked a lot of those boxes!
Dino wasn't a prior success at HC at the P5 level and that's why I'm really gunshy about that again. Our last 4 hires weren't and Marrone is the only one that had a reasonably consistent program.

if we give him the tools for success

It doesn't matter who the coach is if the coach is not given the tools to be successful. Unfortunately, this has not been the Syracuse way.

Tools for success:
  • Competitive HC salary
  • Competitive salary pool for assistants
    • And support staff; strength and conditioning, director of player personnel, director of football operations etc...
  • Competitive recruiting budget. Because of our location our coaches have to travel more than most other schools in the conference. There isn't enough talent in the northeast to work with so our coaches have to into enemy territory to recruit. Then flying recruits into Syracuse from all over isn't cheap either.
  • Competitive NIL opportunities
"Competitive" means competitive with the top third of the ACC, not just better than we had in the 1990's or early 2000's, but competitive with the current competition in the conference.

Is Syracuse capable of putting these types of tools together?

Timing is also key. The transfer portal will be open from Dec. 4, 2023, to Jan. 3, of 2024. If SU let's Dino go and does not have a replacement in place almost immediately the impact could be devastating. Last year Colorado fired Dorrell on October 2nd and following a national search, hired Dieon sanders on December 3rd. Two days before the transfer portal opened (Dec 5 - Jan 18).

Worst case scenario, Syracuse limps into a bowl game but can't field a team due to a mass exodus into the transfer portal following the dismissal of the HC and not having a replacement on board who can hold the roster together.

Scary thing is that Dino checked a lot of those boxes!

We got what we wanted/expected out of Dino those first few seasons:
Exciting football, a few BIG wins over ranked teams, and then culminating in the 10-win season and solid bowl game.

It's just been ever since 2018 that we've been mired in mediocrity, or worse.
(with last year being a slight blip of an exception)

While it's still theoretically possible for this team to get to a bowl - does it even matter??

I think that, IF Dino is allowed to coach the BC game, that if that's not a W, then he needs to be fired by the following morning.

Don't know HC names, but he better be able to find/develop an oline or find someone that can. That is the sole reason the offense is such a mess. Numerous skill guys made plays last night when given the chance, but the swiss cheese oline made that rare.

G.J. Kinne
2) Ryan Silverfield
3) Shawn Clark
4) Cignetti
5) Jeff Traylor
This job would be a step sideways for Cignetti. JMU is pouring money into the program and has been for more than a decade. Every coach that leaves JMU ends up sucking elsewhere. Mike Houston and Everett Whithers both performed really poorly when they left after making a splash at JMU.

Cignetti may be different as he catapulted Elon into the upper echelon of the CAA in quick order. I'm not sure, though. In some ways, I think JMU makes the coach and not vice versa.

The JMU AD that hired Cignetti is retiring, so perhaps something will change with Cignetti's interest in staying. I've always felt JMU has an eye on the P5 and is doing absolutely everything it can to position itself for that spot in the next five years. It would be a nice time to have coaching consistency. He's currently making 500 K at JMU, but they will increase his salary tremendously in the next year.

Ricky Rahne at ODU is making around 800K. JMU will probably push Cignetti's salary to more than $1 million in the next 12 to 24 months.

until Dino actually gets canned.

And since DB is apparently well liked I’m nervous he might not get fired for a couple more years assuming we don’t give him an extension first.

Dino wasn't a prior success at HC at the P5 level and that's why I'm really gunshy about that again. Our last 4 hires weren't and Marrone is the only one that had a reasonably consistent program.
Just don't know that we can afford a successful P5 coach with any kind of shelf life especially combined with the buyout of Dino's last year. I think there are a number of success stories of succesfful G5 coaches making the step up.

The most important thing to me is someone who can maximize talent-Bonus if he can coach up an OL
Clawson (I'd give him a call and see if he wants to come home-Make him say no)
Mullen
Fritz
Chesney
Troy Calhoun
Chadwell would be a grand slam if you could get him here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom