Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, reflecting back to early ACC football championship games set in Florida when neither FSU nor Miami made it to the championship game. ;)

But it does also have a "careful what you wish for" sentiment behind it as well.

Cheers,
Neil

LOL...I clearly missed the irony. Shows I should never multitask when posting. :)

The ACC just put the Men's Basketball Tournament for 2016-2021 out to bid this past summer, and neither Madison Square Garden nor the Brooklyn Barclays Center submitted a bid. So the Men's Basketball tournament can't be in MSG until at the earliest 2022, and to do that MSG at least has to submit a bid for the tournament.

Atlanta, Charlotte, and Greensboro all submitted bids. I'm not sure who else did. The Tournament is locked into Greensboro for 2013-1015. The ACC has been evaluating the bids for 2016-2021, but I haven't seen an announcement. It's been in Tampa, FL and Washington, DC before. I don't know if those cities placed bids this time. The bid involves not only the venue, but it also involves hotels bidding. The ACC tournament has now been extended to 5 days.

New York is going to need to bid on the ACC tournament if it's going to be held there. MSG has the Big East tournament through 2016. It's trying to bid on extending that. I'm not sure what will be left of the Big East Tournament by 2016.

I'm not sure how much of this is written in stone yet, for either the ACC or MSG. I would bet that MSG is now considering the ACC very hard because of the recent implosion of NNNBE basketball. There is no way MSG wants a "BIg East Tournament" that has no original BE members and very few programs East of the Appalachians. It makes no sense at all. Unless the C7 are allowed to keep the BE name and move forward with other schools like Butler, MSG will want nothing more than to dump whatever deal they have with the NNNBE. Losing the C7 on its own should be enough to nullify the contract, unless there were provisions for that in the current one.

I'm not sure how much of this is written in stone yet, for either the ACC or MSG. I would bet that MSG is now considering the ACC very hard because of the recent implosion of NNNBE basketball. There is no way MSG wants a "BIg East Tournament" that has no original BE members and very few programs East of the Appalachians. It makes no sense at all. Unless the C7 are allowed to keep the BE name and move forward with other schools like Butler, MSG will want nothing more than to dump whatever deal they have with the NNNBE. Losing the C7 on its own should be enough to nullify the contract, unless there were provisions for that in the current one.
Good post, source has indicated that MSG can get out of contract with whichever BE conference including the 7 since there has been a significant change in make-up. The ACC is aware and discussions have been renewed. Not sure the ACC wants a permanent home; but every other year or so is possible.

I hope MSG comes back and tells the ACC that they would like to bid on the tournament. I think it would be great for everyone. I'm just saying that this past summer MSG elected not to bid on the ACC tournament. It is true that the Big East tournament will not be the same without Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and Notre Dame. And with the C7 leaving, who knows what it will be. The ACC tournament will be a good tournament.

If MSG doesn't bid, then the Barclays Center should. I don't think that the ACC has awarded the tournaments yet for 2016-2021. They will have to consider the bids that they already have, but I know there is interest in working in a New York tournament if it could work out.

I think the most likely scenario was that MSG/Barclays wanted a yearly contract and the ACC didn't. Duke and SU alone would equal anything the C7 could offer.

Good post, source has indicated that MSG can get out of contract with whichever BE conference including the 7 since there has been a significant change in make-up. The ACC is aware and discussions have been renewed. Not sure the ACC wants a permanent home; but every other year or so is possible.

That is great if discussions are renewed. And yes the ACC has never liked having a permanent home for any of its tournaments. They all move around in all sports. That has been the approach for forever. The ACC could obviously change that approach, but it has been what the ACC has done.

That is great if discussions are renewed. And yes the ACC has never liked having a permanent home for any of its tournaments. They all move around in all sports. That has been the approach for forever. The ACC could obviously change that approach, but it has been what the ACC has done.

I am betting this will happen. It only serves to bolster the league if its premier event is contested in the different regions the conference covers. G'boro, Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa, Barclays, and, MSG could all host tremendous tournaments.

At this point, Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte is the (semi) permanent home of the ACCCG in football. The central location is its best feature. That could change as well.

Regarding others sites that bid for the ACC tournament, Pitt raised some eyebrows by submitting a bid. I wonder if Syracuse will ever bid on it?

Regarding others sites that bid for the ACC tournament, Pitt raised some eyebrows by submitting a bid. I wonder if Syracuse will ever bid on it?

Just looked it up, Pittsburgh sure did bid using the Venue that the Penguins play in for it. Pittsburgh would be an interesting place to have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom