Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping

We are coming off like a bunch of New Yorkers...at best MSG will be in some rotation. Greensboro has much history to the original ACC. We should attend one first before crapping on it.

That said this New Yorker thinks the ACC is nuts for not signing up MSG permanently ASAP. :D

Nothing against Greensboro but it is not the Big Apple. The ACC now has the best BB conference in the country and it should play on the biggest stage. I may be wrong but I would think the players would prefer to play in MSG.

That would definitely be a major haul. Plenty of places to stay and eat between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Besides some of the SU fans might enjoy a trip to Lexington to compare their Dino BBQ to the home of Carolina BBQ.

And some are old enough, read aging fan-base, that they might enjoy a trip to Mt. Airy. :)

Actually, Burlington would probably be a good choice of where to stay. Its a good midpoint between RTP and the Triad.

Lexington is the home of 'western NC' BBQ. ENC'ers as a general rule are not real fond of WNC BBQ. I like it, but, I'd NEVER tell my uncle, who is a master of ENC BBQ. I'd be disowned...LOL.

We are coming off like a bunch of New Yorkers...at best MSG will be in some rotation. Greensboro has much history to the original ACC. We should attend one first before crapping on it.

That said this New Yorker thinks the ACC is nuts for not signing up MSG permanently ASAP. :D

Those are my thoughts. With as much territory as the ACC is going to cover, rotating it seems like the best way to maintain tradition, and, move forward into the future simeultaneously.

Yep. It's the equivalent of the BE choosing to HQ its conference and have its tournament in a place like Providence.

Except that the ACC was founded in 1953, by a group of colleges that were bunched together from Baltimore to Columbia, SC. Greensboro was also league HQ, and, a good central location. Its moved around some since its inception, and, with the newest members, will do so again.

That said, I am betting that once you all are here, and, have a real voice, it will change the number of times it'll be in G'boro going forward.

Nothing against Greensboro but it is not the Big Apple. The ACC now has the best BB conference in the country and it should play on the biggest stage. I may be wrong but I would think the players would prefer to play in MSG.

What if NYC doesn't take to the ACCT? I don't see that happening, but, you never know.

Except that the ACC was founded in 1953, by a group of colleges that were bunched together from Baltimore to Columbia, SC. Greensboro was also league HQ, and, a good central location. Its moved around some since its inception, and, with the newest members, will do so again.

That said, I am betting that once you all are here, and, have a real voice, it will change the number of times it'll be in G'boro going forward.
Is that Kenan?

What if NYC doesn't take to the ACCT? I don't see that happening, but, you never know.
NYC is a hoops town. Back in the day the NIT was the big tourney not the NCAA and as you know it was held at the old garden. The town is a national melting pot, NY will love the ACC.

Actually, Burlington would probably be a good choice of where to stay. Its a good midpoint between RTP and the Triad.

Lexington is the home of 'western NC' BBQ. ENC'ers as a general rule are not real fond of WNC BBQ. I like it, but, I'd NEVER tell my uncle, who is a master of ENC BBQ. I'd be disowned...LOL.

Personally, having lived in Arkansas, I like my BBQ as beef with Red sauce.

Impressed with Allen & Son when I was down there a year ago.

NYC is a hoops town. Back in the day the NIT was the big tourney not the NCAA and as you know it was held at the old garden. The town is a national melting pot, NY will love the ACC.

I think it will, too. And, our fans will learn to love going there as well.

I think it's exactly opposite. The ACC teams might have more appeal than some of the current big east teams.

Yes, it is. Its a beautiful facility.

When the leaves begin to turn, it is a spectacular place to watch CFB on a Saturday afternoon.

Check out this cool 360 deg digital tour.

http://digitour360.com/unc/football/?SPID=108097&DB_OEM_ID=3350

I'm one of those who love the Dome as a solid realistic choice behind a retractable roof stadium. But Kenan on an autumn afternoon is a joy not to be missed!

Biased Carolina (&SU) grad that I am, I nominate Resonator as an official friend of the board with full privileges (including the secret password to the premium side).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm one of those who love the Dome as a solid realistic choice behind a retractable roof stadium. But Kenan on an autumn afternoon is a joy not to be missed!

Biased Carolina (&SU) grad that I am, I nominate Resonator as an official friend of the board with full privileges (including the secret password to the premium side).

Whoa whoa whoa! Let's not go overboard. ;)

Whatever. They wanted us in their league. Original ACC schools will be a minority 7/15ths of the conference.

In other words, fuggedaboudit, let's move this thing to the city.

I think you're missing the point. The one thing the BE did that was brilliant was put its' conference tournament in The World's Most Famous Arena, smack dab in the middle of the greatest media market in the country.

Football has become the driving force in "college" (really semi-pro) athletics, but that doesn't negate the tremendous amount of money to be made in college basketball. Duke and UNC are already brand names up and down the East coast and nationally. As is Syracuse, which has an established and lucrative presence in NYC. Bring all of that cachet to Manhattan on an annual basis, and no other conference will be able to come close to the gobs of money and attention that the ACC will get. They'll OWN February and March. Period.

Where the BE was stupid from the word "go" was keeping operations in Providence, a backwater, second-tier city overshadowed by, well, everything around it. Greensboro is nice tradition, and I'm sure it's a quaint, bland, average second tier American city. So are Hartford, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Cleveland, etc. No one in their right mind looking to maximize media exposure, attendance, or dollars would pick Greensboro or Providence for their signature event.

By relocating the ACCT to the Garden, the ACC would effectively place their boot on the throats of the other conferences and be the basketball equivalent to the SEC football conference in terms of prestige, perception, revenue and all-out dominance.

All respect to Greensboro and the ACC tradition, but this ain't our fathers' ACC.

I think it's exactly opposite. The ACC teams might have more appeal than some of the current big east teams.

I hope that is the case. UNC and Duke, especially, have a large number of alumni there. The ACCT-MSG pairing should be a huge winner.

Kenan is awesome, and, I think our newest members will like coming down for a game. Seeing the stadium among the tall pines is quite a sight.

Hopefully, they'll also make time to walk around the campus, too.

I think you're missing the point. The one thing the BE did that was brilliant was put its' conference tournament in The World's Most Famous Arena, smack dab in the middle of the greatest media market in the country.

Football has become the driving force in "college" (really semi-pro) athletics, but that doesn't negate the tremendous amount of money to be made in college basketball. Duke and UNC are already brand names up and down the East coast and nationally. As is Syracuse, which has an established and lucrative presence in NYC. Bring all of that cachet to Manhattan on an annual basis, and no other conference will be able to come close to the gobs of money and attention that the ACC will get. They'll OWN February and March. Period.

Where the BE was stupid from the word "go" was keeping operations in Providence, a backwater, second-tier city overshadowed by, well, everything around it. Greensboro is nice tradition, and I'm sure it's a quaint, bland, average second tier American city. So are Hartford, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Cleveland, etc. No one in their right mind looking to maximize media exposure, attendance, or dollars would pick Greensboro or Providence for their signature event.

By relocating the ACCT to the Garden, the ACC would effectively place their boot on the throats of the other conferences and be the basketball equivalent to the SEC football conference in terms of prestige, perception, revenue and all-out dominance.

All respect to Greensboro and the ACC tradition, but this ain't our fathers' ACC.

Fair enough on that. The ACC must evolve or die. I am betting we pick evolve.

Whatever. They wanted us in their league. Original ACC schools will be a minority 7/15ths of the conference.

Actually, its 5/15. UVA wasn't there at the absolute beginning. The NC schools and Clemson are the only true originals left.

With the ACC's luck, the first year it's at MSG the championship game will be between FSU and Miami. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

The ACC just put the Men's Basketball Tournament for 2016-2021 out to bid this past summer, and neither Madison Square Garden nor the Brooklyn Barclays Center submitted a bid. So the Men's Basketball tournament can't be in MSG until at the earliest 2022, and to do that MSG at least has to submit a bid for the tournament.

Atlanta, Charlotte, and Greensboro all submitted bids. I'm not sure who else did. The Tournament is locked into Greensboro for 2013-1015. The ACC has been evaluating the bids for 2016-2021, but I haven't seen an announcement. It's been in Tampa, FL and Washington, DC before. I don't know if those cities placed bids this time. The bid involves not only the venue, but it also involves hotels bidding. The ACC tournament has now been extended to 5 days.

New York is going to need to bid on the ACC tournament if it's going to be held there. MSG has the Big East tournament through 2016. It's trying to bid on extending that. I'm not sure what will be left of the Big East Tournament by 2016.

With the ACC's luck, the first year it's at MSG the championship game will be between FSU and Miami. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

Coach Hamilton does have FSU headed in the right direction. Miami is better with Coach Larranaga. But, I do agree, that matchup would be a TV ratings killer.

Coach Hamilton does have FSU headed in the right direction. Miami is better with Coach Larranaga. But, I do agree, that matchup would be a TV ratings killer.

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, reflecting back to early ACC football championship games set in Florida when neither FSU nor Miami made it to the championship game. ;)

But it does also have a "careful what you wish for" sentiment behind it as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom