Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping

So 5 people can show up to the game? :crazy:

Make it the same weekend as the home basketball game that Duke hosts in NYC every year, and it would be a lot more than that. In fact, make it FB on Saturday, followed by a Syracuse - Duke BB double header against other opponents on Sunday (maybe a B1G showdown against Rutgers and Maryland, heh). That would be a tough ticket.

Make it the same weekend as the home basketball game that Duke hosts in NYC every year, and it would be a lot more than that. In fact, make it FB on Saturday, followed by a Syracuse - Duke BB double header against other opponents on Sunday (maybe a B1G showdown against Rutgers and Maryland, heh). That would be a tough ticket.
People would go for the basketball game and skip football altogether. Too much money. You could give away tix and you'd have the same attendance as the BB games. Duke basketball fans don't care about FB, same as SU basketball fans.

Fair enough, but, the historical relevance of the city to the league will keep in there on a regular basis.

While I would really like to see the ACCT at MSG, the traditionalist side says Greensboro HAS to be on there, too. :)

That fair, however with each new team entering the ACC, the significance of Greensboro diminishes.

I still think, with mega-conferences on the rise, someone somewhere will work out a business model whereby the conference basketball tournament will utilize 2 sites, where half the conference plays through the semi-final round at one site (let's say 4 games on Wed and 2 games Thurs night and 1 game Friday night) and the other half plays through the semi-final round at another site (same schedule as the other site) and the championship game is played either Saturday night or early Sunday afternoon at one of the two sites.

I know there are a lot kinks to work out in terms of how you manage ticket sales through schools but let's face it, has any of this stuff ever revolved the fans? Some smart business person will come up with a plan that will make it at least tolerable from the fans' point of view and then they will get the go-ahead to make it so.

At that point, we won't have to worry about Greensboro or MSG, just which site will the team we follow wind up going and will we have to make an extra trip to the other site if our team makes the championship game.

Cheers,
Neil

That fair, however with each new team entering the ACC, the significance of Greensboro diminishes.
The ACCT is rotated on a regular basis, amongst Greensboro, Charlotte, Atlanta, and before, Landover, Maryland.

I am personally excited at the thought of playing in MSG. Maybe Boston Garden, too.
One of the things that everyone needs to consider is now that the Big East has lost some of their best teams, MSG and ESPN are going to be looking for a tournament for that weekend. A weekend of North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame and others would rival all of the Big East tournaments, and should be worth a lot of money.

One of the things that everyone needs to consider is now that the Big East has lost some of their best teams, MSG and ESPN are going to be looking for a tournament for that weekend. A weekend of North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame and others would rival all of the Big East tournaments, and should be worth a lot of money.

This.

Duke basketball fans don't care about FB ...

A few decent defensive linemen would go a long way towards fixing that problem. But really, the question is where will you get the most fans - Syracuse, Durham, or somewhere in between?

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see UNC/Duke/etc voting to play the ACCT at MSG, no matter how much financial sense it makes.

I agree that it would be nice if they could get the ACC fans to embrace some new traditions but you are definitely correct when you state that they will never eliminate Greensboro. The state of Carolina fans were all moaning about tradition when the tourney was held in Atlanta. And now with the Coliseum making million dollar renovations and with the new swim center soon to be the site of ACC and NCAA events...well let's just say that the ACC and Greensboro are attached at the hip.

I believe that they will embrace the ACCT at MSG once its played there. When they see the excitement surrounding it in New York, and, all that they can do there, besides watch basketball, they will come around.

I consider myself to be an optimist, and, I look at it as the best of both worlds. We will nod to our long-held traditions by continuing to play in Greensboro. At the same time, we will be embracing the future by playing at MSG. And, continuing to share it with Charlotte, Atlanta, and, possibly, having it in Florida again. I believe it was played at the Suncoast Dome in Tampa previously.

Just talking about the future possibilities has me more excited than ever for you guys to get here. We are going to have a great league all around.

Man, I sure hope not. As a fan who loves the league's traditions, I just hope it never erodes to the point that we forget it altogether. We must spread the wealth around, but, also maintain ties to the past. I believe that we have enough smart people in the league as a whole to ensure that doesn't happen.

Would you run the same format that the Big East has used, with the very top seeds getting a double bye? I liked that idea. That 2011 BE Tournament was just absolutely NUTS! I couldn't stop watching. I just hated that UConn won, but, damn, that was a GREAT tournament.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see UNC/Duke/etc voting to play the ACCT at MSG, no matter how much financial sense it makes.

Seeing as how both recruit the NYC area so heavily, I would think that they'd be thrilled to be able to showcase themselves in the biggest media market in the country.

There are enough people in authority at both schools who know that following the money is the proper approach. Especially in this day and age.

Seeing as how both recruit the NYC area so heavily, I would think that they'd be thrilled to be able to showcase themselves in the biggest media market in the country.

There are enough people in authority at both schools who know that following the money is the proper approach. Especially in this day and age.
Hope you're right, Resonator. It would be cool to see UNC/Duke/SU/Pitt in a tourney there.

Would you run the same format that the Big East has used, with the very top seeds getting a double bye? I liked that idea. That 2011 BE Tournament was just absolutely NUTS! I couldn't stop watching. I just hated that UConn won, but, damn, that was a GREAT tournament.
Couldn't you just see something to rival the Syracuse-UConn 6 Overtime game, a Duke- North Carolina semi-final, and a Syracuse-Louisville in the other on national TV on Friday night.

I believe that they will embrace the ACCT at MSG once its played there. When they see the excitement surrounding it in New York, and, all that they can do there, besides watch basketball, they will come around.

I consider myself to be an optimist, and, I look at it as the best of both worlds. We will nod to our long-held traditions by continuing to play in Greensboro. At the same time, we will be embracing the future by playing at MSG. And, continuing to share it with Charlotte, Atlanta, and, possibly, having it in Florida again. I believe it was played at the Suncoast Dome in Tampa previously.

Just talking about the future possibilities has me more excited than ever for you guys to get here. We are going to have a great league all around.
I'm way in the minority, but I'm looking forward to Greensboro. One of my brothers went to NC State - Greensboro and loved his time there. Greensboro is also the closest ACC tournament venue for me. My apologies for being selfish, but I'm good with it in a rotation.

Hope you're right, Resonator. It would be cool to see UNC/Duke/SU/Pitt in a tourney there.

I hope I am right, too. I love the traditions, but, I also realise that if the league fails to evolve, it will wither away and die.

I really think we are on the cusp of something GREAT with this league.

Couldn't you just see something to rival the Syracuse-UConn 6 Overtime game, a Duke- North Carolina semi-final, and a Syracuse-Louisville in the other on national TV on Friday night.

Are you kidding me? Yes! And you know what, people here on Tobacco Road would eat that up. We like our college hoops here, and, something like that would be like a drug to an addict...LOL.

I'm way in the minority, but I'm looking forward to Greensboro. One of my brothers went to NC State - Greensboro and loved his time there. Greensboro is also the closest ACC tournament venue for me. My apologies for being selfish, but I'm good with it in a rotation.

I bet you will enjoy it. I've never met anybody who went that didn't.

Re Greensboro, the one thing that needs to be understood is that the Greensboro Colosseum was built for the ACC-T. Yeah, they have other events there every now and then (like the W-ACCT and NCAA regionals), but the ACC tournament is the only reason it exists at all. So, I think they will still keep having it there for a while. Stay in the Triangle and commute though, the restaurants are way better.

Man, I sure hope not. As a fan who loves the league's traditions, I just hope it never erodes to the point that we forget it altogether. We must spread the wealth around, but, also maintain ties to the past. I believe that we have enough smart people in the league as a whole to ensure that doesn't happen.

Brace yourself. Sadly, lots of things are happening for money and not tradition.

Brace yourself. Sadly, lots of things are happening for money and not tradition.

Yes, we know.

Exhibit A: Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G
Exhibit B: WVU to the B12
Exhibit C: Mizzou to the SEC (I think TA&M works, though)
Exhibit D: Colorado and Utah to the P12
Exhibit E: BC to the ACC (rank downgraded due to recent damage mitigation)

Re Greensboro, the one thing that needs to be understood is that the Greensboro Colosseum was built for the ACC-T. Yeah, they have other events there every now and then (like the W-ACCT and NCAA regionals), but the ACC tournament is the only reason it exists at all. So, I think they will still keep having it there for a while. Stay in the Triangle and commute though, the restaurants are way better.

Thats a haul, from RTP to the Triad. Although, for a 3-day stay, it might be worth it. Plus, if Carolina baseball or lacrosse have a home appearance that weekend, it would be a good opportunity to check out the campus. Same with Duke. Both are just beautiful.

Thats a haul, from RTP to the Triad. Although, for a 3-day stay, it might be worth it. Plus, if Carolina baseball or lacrosse have a home appearance that weekend, it would be a good opportunity to check out the campus. Same with Duke. Both are just beautiful.

That would definitely be a major haul. Plenty of places to stay and eat between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Besides some of the SU fans might enjoy a trip to Lexington to compare their Dino BBQ to the home of Carolina BBQ.

And some are old enough, read aging fan-base, that they might enjoy a trip to Mt. Airy. :)

I'm in Charlotte and the UNC fans are a little elitist, but we can hang with them.
By far, NCSU fans are the bigger pains-in-the-ass, IMO.
They talk a much better game then they play, & their inferiority complex is palatable.
They STILL b*tch & moan about the OttoMan Empire's takeover of their homecourt last year...like I'm supposed to apologize for it.
Get a clue, Wolfpack...it's what we do! :cool:
I made that trip down from Richmond and plan to continue that tradition each year. There was a lot of orange there. It was great!!

No city beats NYC for a conference tourney. NYC creates the electricity. No offense, but Greensboro is an underwhelming location for a group of top tier terms to gather and play.

Yep. It's the equivalent of the BE choosing to HQ its conference and have its tournament in a place like Providence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom