Glad Symir Sat On The Bench All Season | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Glad Symir Sat On The Bench All Season

Guess there is no chance that the work the coaching staff did with him all season helped him improve from a kid who couldn’t come close to finishing at the rim or making a free throw into what we saw in Brooklyn. Take a look at Sy’s game log when he played double digit minutes early in the year and get back to me.
Can’t win with some of these trolls. Either a player doesn’t develop and staff is incompetent judges of talent and wasted a scholarship, or they do develop and staff is blind and stubborn for not playing him 40 minutes from Day 1.
Why does it take our coaching staff an ENTIRE season to get a transfer ‘ready’ to contribute?

I think the answer is that no matter how much time you practice something, you really don’t get the opportunity to show the improvement until you get meaningful minutes to prove it in a game. This has been one of Boeheim’s weaknesses since I started watching. Certain kids are trusted to make mistakes and others get yanked immediately.

On the positive side, things really improved for Sy when he stopped attacking the basket like a runaway freight train. Likely due to coaching, he became far more effective when he drove in and used his athleticism to jump over guys off two feet. Was a very interesting switch. No more ricochets off the backboard

Practice without developing from playing games plus practice…

D25130C2-7B8D-4208-8D0E-454CB56C98AE.gif

Why does it take our coaching staff an ENTIRE season to get a transfer ‘ready’ to contribute?

I think the answer is that no matter how much time you practice something, you really don’t get the opportunity to show the improvement until you get meaningful minutes to prove it in a game. This has been one of Boeheim’s weaknesses since I started watching. Certain kids are trusted to make mistakes and others get yanked immediately.
if you've designed a defensive scheme "so complex" that you can't spend time coaching anything else and nobody "get's it" til their second or third year your scheme is a fail.
everybody on your roster needs to "get it" before the tipoff your first game.

Last edited:
Dash, as you know...sometimes the light comes in in both coach and player.

The good news is we have a legit PG for next year. If Devo and or GMac can work on his outside jumper and get him to 30-33% at the three...that would be a start
I wasn't knocking the kid. I will say, to go from where he is now to 33% would be a big jump that we really can't count on.

Just a hypothetical question, if there is an Allen Iverson today committing to the cuse, will he thrive here or will he be in the portal on day 2 of the season due to not practicing hard and JB keeping him on the bench for not practicing hard?

I wish Symir had at least attempted an outside shot in the game. Maybe he was told by JB to not shoot outside of 15 feet. Duke was laying off of him making it harder for the other 4 players. Symir showed he can be a starting PG for this team next year with Joe moving to SG. Could you image a PG with Joe's outside shooting and Symir's ability to drive and find the open man and play solid defense.

Sy was our most valuable player in the Duke game. He opened up everything and stands as a stark contrast to the season long slow offense. Convince me if we did not have Sy in the ACC Duke game the results would have been the same as the first two Duke's games. What a total "all in" team game effort. So refreshing. And all it took was one obvious change that most fans saw the entire season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom