Glad Symir Sat On The Bench All Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Glad Symir Sat On The Bench All Season

JB not reducing Buddy’s minutes was just shown wrong.

Torrence and Richmond could have played more minutes and slid Joe to 2 guard.

This game showed we could have played the guards more in a rotation.
3-5 mins on the bench plus another 10-15 minutes at the 3 (like we did with Rautins) and your talking about a rotation at guard with room for 3 solid players and buddy still pays 35+

It’s not like we had lights out forwards that couldnt come off the floor for 5-10 mins. Jimmy and Cole have both had awful games at points this year not to mention Benny being more off than on

That isn't the plan. The plan is for Mintz to run the pt. If we can get him. but could we actually play 3 guards next year? Can we? Can we?
We should. Torrence can run the point, play man, and we have 3 guards. We would be so good!

Ive been against Joe at PG from game 1 of last year BUT waaaaaay too much going on one game. A game, sadly, we lost.

There's a ton to build on. He should have played more, 100000%.

That said...He's should not be given the keys to the kingdom. We JUST messed that up last year. You try to get everyone and anyone you can. No starting guarantees, period.

He was very good today but I think his future is a 20 mpg guy who spells the starters. He was excellent today.

In that he is the only point guard on the team other than a walk-on, not sure I agree with you.

Still not completely sold on Symir as a starting PG/big-minutes guy but I will at least say I won't feel hopeless if we don't land Mintz - as long as we portal for a solid combo guard and/or Quadir is actually ready to contribute come November

Symir played great and it was his best game of the season but why do you assume he would have played great all season? At times he has looked lost out there and it takes a while to learn new teammates and a new system. In his 52 games ar Marquette he averaged 1.6 assists per game. You can't look at one game and and make a smug comment and say "SEE, the coach doesn't know what he's doing!" I assume you think Jimmy Boeheim should have taken 10+ 3s every game because he's a 67% shooters on 3s because that's what he did today.

I'm glad he's on Cuse even though I wish Richmond has stayed but you can't assume he's the answer to Cuse's PG woes based upon 1 game.

Going forward? We have Copeland coming and should be getting at least one more. If not Mintz, go portal.

35+ mins of Symir will not be good.
No non-superstar should go 35+.

The JB fact has made it normal for this fanbase to accept is the problem.

This team would have been fine if the guard rotation was an actual rotation.

Instead of pre-determined rotation.

It’s over now.

Symir played great and it was his best game of the season but why do you assume he would have played great all season? At times he has looked lost out there and it takes a while to learn new teammates and a new system. In his 52 games ar Marquette he averaged 1.6 assists per game. You can't look at one game and and make a smug comment and say "SEE, the coach doesn't know what he's doing!" I assume you think Jimmy Boeheim should have taken 10+ 3s every game because he's a 67% shooters on 3s because that's what he did today.

I'm glad he's on Cuse even though I wish Richmond has stayed but you can't assume he's the answer to Cuse's PG woes based upon 1 game.
Not playing Torrence enough the entire season cost us games.

The Georgetown game he played for 5 minutes and didn’t play in the second half.

This year Torrence should have played 15-25 MPG.

JB not reducing Buddy’s minutes was just shown wrong.

Torrence and Richmond could have played more minutes and slid Joe to 2 guard.

This game showed we could have played the guards more in a rotation.
JB himself has said after the past 2 games that Girard is better off the ball, but that we already had someone at the 2. Would have been interesting to see how we would have done with more 3 guard offense this year and everyone playing a little less minutes.

Torrence is a modern-day Mark Wadach. Great floor game, great defense, not much shooting.

He was the only real PG on the team and his assists per min warranted more PT. This team might have made the NCAAs if:

PG
10 mins Joe
30 mins Symir

SG
20 mins Buddy
20 mins Joe

SF
30 mins Cole
10 mins Buddy

PF
30 mins Jimmy
10 mins Benny

C
30 mins Jesse
10 mins Frank

That would have kept everyone fresh. You have 6 "starters" at 30 mins per game and 2 guys at 10 mins per game (8 man rotation). But JB is stubborn. The talent was there he just used it horribly.

Symir and Joe (I hope) is a better starting backcourt than we had this season. You don’t need two guys who “struggle” on defense and can’t penetrate the lane against ACC competition on the court for 35+ minutes every game. If Quadir or Mintz (hopefully) are ready to rock in November that’s a tournament level backcourt rotation.

Jesse is the best big man in the ACC next year and Frank is a more than solid 10-20 mpg back up.

Swider comes back, Benny takes a leap, and we add a transfer forward as we need to regardless of either of them coming back and we could be cooking a wee bit. It’s on the coach to make it happen.

He is the same guy that sat on the Marq bench as well. A marq coach said off the record that we weren't getting much in Symir. Boy did he play well the last two games. I wonder if that marq coach saw that?
You don’t think he’s improved during the season and finally knows exactly what he needs to do out there?

You don’t think he’s improved during the season and finally knows exactly what he needs to do out there?
This wasn't a knock on him. Read what I have said after that post.

Before today his assists per min would have given him 8 assists per game if he got the same amount of mins as the other guards. If you think it was just today then you missed the other games.

Not playing Torrence enough the entire season cost us games.

The Georgetown game he played for 5 minutes and didn’t play in the second half.

This year Torrence should have played 15-25 MPG.
You know what else, playing one defense all year long. the triangle and 2 confused duke,. They weren't ready for it. Imagine that. Using a defense the other team doesn't know you are going to use.

I don't get the take that he can't be a big minutes guy because hes not a shooter. We have a team full of shooters, he doesn't need to shoot to be a big value add. We need a slasher / distributer and the dude is quicker than anyone else on the floor for us. Building a one dimensional team is one of the contributing factors for this crap season. A team has to have some diversity and levels. Really thinking he should have been a starter with JG3 spelling and rotating in at the SG even though it obviously was never going to happen.

Great comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom