Glad Symir Sat On The Bench All Season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Glad Symir Sat On The Bench All Season

Buddy was first team ACC. Don’t you want to play those guys as much as possible? Sy is great but I think the point is to go three guard or go with who is helping most. In any case you want Buddy in a lot.
Good for Buddy.
I don’t want him playing 38 MPG.

Not being able to sit him prevented more minutes for Joe at SG and play Symir.

Symir was not good early on in the year. But the light switch went on for him about halfway through the year. I can’t remember the exact game. Maybe Miami or wake game. But he should have played a lot more since that time and he never really did. He was our best defensive guard, the guy who could run the offense. And the guy with the best handle.

Not playing Torrence enough the entire season cost us games.

The Georgetown game he played for 5 minutes and didn’t play in the second half.

This year Torrence should have played 15-25 MPG.
Georgetown and @Miami are definite wins if Torrence plays more. There are probably others.

Throw in playing Junior at center @Wake and this team should have finished with a winning record. That’s all on JB.

Symir played just like Benny plenty.

He didn’t hit shots and was OK otherwise.

It’s not like he was Kadary who was our best player last year.

He could be very good next year though athletic experienced guy a few jumpers fall he heats up etc.

It also won’t be a problem if he has a huge role which he will if our freshmen don’t pan out.

We wasted this guy's talents. He's a sparkplug. I just don't understand it.

It’ll come with experience and knowing he wont sit the rest of the week if he pulls the trigger

Wonder if its confidence or knowing that if he misses, he’s back in the doghouse.
Based on the few times I saw Torrence shoot jumpers this year, I would say having him on a short leash for longer jump shots is actually solid strategy. I hope he improves but the form and the results weren't real pretty from what i saw (didn't watch every moment so, perhaps I'm wrong).

This isn't to say he can't shoot -- maybe that does come with more confidence, maybe more work on the jumper, but he was clearly really solid inside the paint and I say that as a compliment. Sometimes knowing your strengths is an asset.

Incredibly frustrating to witness.

Though, as much as he played way too much, Jimmy played out of his mind today and it was great to see him finish up that way. Feel like I gotta mention that.
Jimmy played too much -- agreed. But this board gets so caught up in minutes and rotation. Criticizing roster management and not having a better athlete -- even if it was Bras coming back -- to work in a rotation with Cole and Jimmy really hurt. The Benny stuff here I don't get. Like his athleticism and seems like a good kid, but he was absolutely brutal in what were really pretty good minutes here. 15 mpg is not the quick hook that a kid like Bras or Southerland got early in their career. You should be able to get something going if you're at 15-ish mpg for 20 games or so.

Jimmy played too much -- agreed. But this board gets so caught up in minutes and rotation. Criticizing roster management and not having a better athlete -- even if it was Bras coming back -- to work in a rotation with Cole and Jimmy really hurt. The Benny stuff here I don't get. Like his athleticism and seems like a good kid, but he was absolutely brutal in what were really pretty good minutes here. 15 mpg is not the quick hook that a kid like Bras or Southerland got early in their career. You should be able to get something going if you're at 15-ish mpg for 20 games or so.
Benny certainly didn’t do anything to get himself on the court.

I will not be convinced that all the forwards from last year just magically transferred and that they didn’t know that Jimmy would come here and play too much, though. They saw Buddy playing too much, and knew Jimmy would too. That’s my take.

Jimmy played too much -- agreed. But this board gets so caught up in minutes and rotation.
We get caught up because THERE IS NO ROTATION. Then you see what happens like with Grant in 2014 or Jesse last year or Symir today and you go...wait, what's going on here?

..and its one thing to complain about the mins and rotation for a top 25 team. But we were a sub 500 team. Things needed to be tried much much much earlier in the season. And they just aren't. Continuously.

I simply refuse to believe it's all about just finally being ready. Etan Thomas has said as much.

We get caught up because THERE IS NO ROTATION. Then you see what happens like with Grant in 2014 or Jesse last year or Symir today and you go...wait, what's going on here?

..and its one thing to complain about the mins and rotation for a top 25 team. But we were a sub 500 team. Things needed to be tried much much much earlier in the season. And they just aren't. Continuously.

I simply refuse to believe it's all about just finally being ready. Etan Thomas has said as much.
Whoa, why does this look like you’re replying to me? I didn’t say that! Lol.

But maybe we found something heading into next year.

Something for this kid to build on, for sure.

His job to lose.

Symir, Joe (at shooting guard where he belongs), Benny, Cole, Jesse.

At this moment, it doesn't seem like the worst starting 5.

There were signs he should have been playing earlier. It's very reminiscent of Edwards last year.

Edwards wasn't ready at the beginning of last year to do what he did late in the year or this year. Symir likely wasn't ready at the beginning of this year to play as he is now or could play next year.

Last edited:
Buddy played too many minutes. I think he's a decent BB player, but he took way too many shots.

I don't have any problem with Buddy's shot selection. He was our big gun and the defense knew it.

But I think, by the end of the year anyway, that our best line-up was Symir at the point, Joe at the 2, Buddy at the 3, Cole if he was hot at the 4 - Jimmy if he wasn't- and Jesse. I would have liked to have seen more of that. if we start out with the veterans next and Cole is back, I think you'll see that with Benny taking Buddy's spot.

It’s amazing how much harder working and offensively involved our team appears to be when we have a second guard that plays defense, triggers transition and looks to create for others. Maybe this was the best Syracuse could have played today.
except for the short depth, yeah

i think if benny was there to spell cole..its a SU W

Based on the few times I saw Torrence shoot jumpers this year, I would say having him on a short leash for longer jump shots is actually solid strategy. I hope he improves but the form and the results weren't real pretty from what i saw (didn't watch every moment so, perhaps I'm wrong).

This isn't to say he can't shoot -- maybe that does come with more confidence, maybe more work on the jumper, but he was clearly really solid inside the paint and I say that as a compliment. Sometimes knowing your strengths is an asset.

He got pretty good with those short Sam Jones-like bank shots late in the year.

He got pretty good with those short Sam Jones-like bank shots late in the year.
He finished the year with some pretty decent shooting %’s which is impressive considering how bad they were for the first month or so of the season.

Tough to score too much as the third option. Wallace and Moten were awfully good.

That team’s parts ended up being more than the sum, unfortunately.

And still I dream of a season like that now, lol. You mean we were a SEVEN seed before!??? Hallowed ground, now.

In an era where every Syracuse team had a January swoon, they really outdid themselves in 1995. I think they had one loss and were knocking on the top 5, then dropped 7 or 11 or something crazy like that. Defense was a huge problem.

But Lloyd had a nice game against Southern Illinois and they could score on anybody; I think they were poised for a real run if it weren't for that timeout.

Symir at point all season with Joe at the 2 and Buddy at the 3 would've won more games period. Symir could handle all the pressure that anyone threw at him. He wouldn't have stumbled over his feet or got his pocket cleanly picked multiple times, or have to dribble with his back to the basket.

His dribble penetration would've opened up the shooters and freed guys underneath. He didn't need to score or have a great outside shot. Lazarus Simms couldn't shoot from the outside and neither could Scoop Jardine. Yet they ran the team.

This doesn't even consider that Symir is also a great a defender.

The only way the lineup was possible was if Cole and/or Jimmy came off the bench and we know Jimmy wouldn't have. But there's still no reason all 5 of them shots couldn't have played more with better combos and rotations. JB completely blew it.
What's weird about this was Girard makes sense at pg if you don't trust the other guys to make shots. But those other guys are kids you've seen make those shots a million times at home!

How many good shots did the sons and Girard ever get in their 31st-40th minutes anyway?

Difference between a pure pass first PG and one who is naturally a SG with no business running the point.
Doesn’t take a basketball savant to realize the difference it makes.
Knew this from day 1. Joe was never going to be an ACC PG. 2 yes and he showed it the last few games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom