GMac and Hak Headed to the Rafters | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

GMac and Hak Headed to the Rafters

Love Jerami, but NBA success should have no bearing. It’s about what they did here.
Mostly agree with that. You’d have to do Danny Schayes as well if you’re also considering NBA success. Rudy Hackett feels like the next obvious one.

Is there anyone else from the 70s era who qualifies? Jim Lee? Kid Kohls? Or maybe Stevie Thompson from the 80s?

Last edited:
From my time as an SU fan I would say only Hart (#24 points, #2 assists, #1 steals) and Etan (37th points, 14th rebounds, 1st blocks) should be considered. Maybe Shump. I can't speak for pre 1988.

Edit

Also both Hart and Etan were on the All Century team and both were 1st teams All Big East.

Here are the All Conference 1st teamers not already up there:

Autry
Schayes
Dave Johnson
DNic
Santifer
KJo
Shump
Addison
Wes (was also All American 1st Team only one 1st or 2nd Team not up there)
Buddy
Rak
CJ
Hughes
I know he was only here one year but you could make a legit argument for Wes because of the AA status and the historic season we had (winning the Big East title, Sweet 16). CJ might be another. But Hackett is the most obvious next one after the long awaited Hak and GMac jersey retirements.

the two gerry's coaching together...

AVIUXDWOPBFP7FS3KM5ADHJVQ4.jpg

gerrymac and gerritol.

For some reason our athletic department just doesn't give any respect to our players from the 60s and 70s besides Dave Bing. It's very bizarre.

Other than Dennis Duval, Bouie and Louie?

Doesn't clear the bar for me, but with all this speculation doesn;t Devo at least deserve a mention?

I mean he’s the winningest player of all time at SU and he was in a final four.

if not Triche, who’s the next best guy who was here for four years, Cooney? If we have one dude who deserves it, it’s Triche.

I think Andy Rautins was better than both of them. So was Devendorf, and Jason Hart.

Thank you for the deep and insightful response.
Apologies. I just think fans are trying too hard to find more guys from 90-present. I think there’s an argument for Fair, Etan, Stevie, and maybee Triche, but some of the guys thrown out there were here for 5 minutes or their teams accomplished little to nothing.

I could MAYBE see a 2 year player like Flynn, getting his number retired, but none of the guys suggested have remotely accomplished as much as the guys already up there.

Averaged 7.5 ppg at Syracuse. There’s a 100 other guys more worthy than him. IMO nobody else post 1990 deserves to be honored. Not fair to the other guys to water it down.
I never suggested that Grant should have his number raised. He shouldn’t. I stated a fact about a game last night.

I never suggested that Grant should have his number raised. He shouldn’t. I stated a fact about a game last night.
I know you didn’t, but one of the guys you responded to did. Apologies.

I don't love taking single digit numbers that are popular out of the rotation but its deserved both are 4 year players and national champions.

If they want to focus on numbers they need to end the bs on 44 being retired and get it back into the rotation. It would be cool if a basketball player asked for it and got it and then it was an option again for football.

Jesse Edwards pushing for it next year under a new coach would be excellent. 44 looks better than 14 lets be honest here.

There’s only one that should be definite and that’s Rudy Hackett. Maybe Etan, but that’s it. I think Wesley is interesting.

If Wes made a FF then I could see it. MCW has that on him.

Etan was a mess as a Frosh. His 2nd year was decent, and his SR year great. But Hart IMO was better.

I don't love taking single digit numbers that are popular out of the rotation but its deserved both are 4 year players and national champions.

If they want to focus on numbers they need to end the bs on 44 being retired and get it back into the rotation. It would be cool if a basketball player asked for it and got it and then it was an option again for football.

Jesse Edwards pushing for it next year under a new coach would be excellent. 44 looks better than 14 lets be honest here.
SU retires jerseys, not numbers. Except for 44 in football.

You're aware that NONE of these numbers are being taken "out of the rotation". The jerseys are being "honored". The numbers are NOT retired.

Maliq and Judah can continue to wear #1 and #3 for as long as they like.

Just like Marek and Swider wore #21, Lydon and BBBB wore #20, and a bunch of guys wore #4.

My bad. In that case I'd expect Etan to find his way up there.

I guess its too close between everyone since 2003 if you retired 1 you'd have to retire 5. I'd probably go CJ if I had to pick someone. Dion and MCW next.

Apologies. I just think fans are trying too hard to find more guys from 90-present. I think there’s an argument for Fair, Etan, Stevie, and maybee Triche, but some of the guys thrown out there were here for 5 minutes or their teams accomplished little to nothing.

I could MAYBE see a 2 year player like Flynn, getting his number retired, but none of the guys suggested have remotely accomplished as much as the guys already up there.
No apologies necessary. And we agree, Devo doesn't clear the bar to deserve a jersey requirement. I simply wondered out loud why, with all the other names being bandied about, he wasn;t at least a part of the conversation.

Grant dropped 44 against the Knicks last night. He’s become an All Star caliber player in the NBA.
Taking a decade to become an allstar (which is stil pending) doesn't make him an all time cuse great. Pro performance doesn't matter. Who is more of an all time great, Pearl or Michael Carter Williams?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom