GMac and Hak Headed to the Rafters | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

GMac and Hak Headed to the Rafters

Role players.
Yeah, it feels like people want anyone who contributed to a good team up there. We've forgotten what an all time great is because it's been so long since we had one,

Wait?!?! Stevie isn’t up there yet? He’s #7 on our all time scoring list. S-E-V-E-N.

Okay, I need a mulligan.

Hackett….then Stevie.

Then nobody.

The fact that this group of fans here can’t come to a consensus is telling that none have separated themselves for distinction.

Last edited:
Wait?!?! Stevie isn’t up there yet?

Okay, I need a mulligan.

Hackett….then Stevie.

Then nobody.

The fact that this group of fans here can’t come to a consensus is telling that none have separated themselves for distinction.

After thinking about all the suggestions I’m convinced it’s Bill Smith and Rudy Hackett. But Smith may have eliminated himself from something like this for an incident in West Virginia (of all places) when he hit a ref and started a melee with the fans who all rushed the court. Got suspended for the rest of the season which was 6 games. Still a stud player. Averaged 21 pts 13 rebs for his 3 years.

After thinking about all the suggestions I’m convinced it’s Bill Smith and Rudy Hackett. But Smith may have eliminated himself from something like this for an incident in West Virginia (of all places) when he hit a ref and started a melee with the fans who all rushed the court. Got suspended for the rest of the season which was 6 games. Still a stud player. Averaged 21 pts 13 rebs for his 3 years.
Smith and Hackett 100% have to be retired. I would throw Lee in as well. Now, Lee isn't a slam dunk. But a great, great sr year and at the time, he hit the biggest shot in the history of the school.

I don't love taking single digit numbers that are popular out of the rotation but its deserved both are 4 year players and national champions.

If they want to focus on numbers they need to end the bs on 44 being retired and get it back into the rotation. It would be cool if a basketball player asked for it and got it and then it was an option again for football.

Jesse Edwards pushing for it next year under a new coach would be excellent. 44 looks better than 14 lets be honest here.
Unfortunately I think there is money involved, I’m sure the school doesn’t want to hand over their 44 profits on their items to a player.

Etan was great. Thought his teams slightly underachieved during his time on the hill though. Obviously not all on him.

I think he led the country in blocked shots for 2 or 3 of his years here.
His senior year, we had Champs-to-Be Michigan State on the ropes in the Sweet 16. (Damn you, Lisa Kellett!).

That was a hell of a team, the 2000 team. Etan was an All American, with Damone Browne, Ryan Blackwell, Preston Shumpert and a bit of Kueth Duany at F, Jason Hart, Tony Bland, DeShawn Williams and Allen Griffin all played at guard, and you had Jeremy McNeil and Billy Celuck as the "break glass in case of Etan fouling out" back-ups at center.

I mean he’s the winningest player of all time at SU and he was in a final four.

if not Triche, who’s the next best guy who was here for four years, Cooney? If we have one dude who deserves it, it’s Triche.

I think it completely takes away if we put guys up there simply to put them up there. Don't water down the product. If no one is deserving, don't put them up there. I think that makes it less special.

Averaged 7.5 ppg at Syracuse. There’s a 100 other guys more worthy than him. IMO nobody else post 1990 deserves to be honored. Not fair to the other guys to water it down.

Agree with you.

But water it down they will.

If Wes made a FF then I could see it. MCW has that on him.

Etan was a mess as a Frosh. His 2nd year was decent, and his SR year great. But Hart IMO was better.

I'm not sure either is jersey-retirement material, but Etan set the school record for blocks his sophomore year, didn't he? "Decent" kind of undersells it.

Love Hart, but you kind of described his career path here: mess to decent to...well, decent.

No apologies necessary. And we agree, Devo doesn't clear the bar to deserve a jersey requirement. I simply wondered out loud why, with all the other names being bandied about, he wasn;t at least a part of the conversation.

What early-departure players have been honored? Anthony, Owens, Washington and that's it?

I think anyone who's not either a transcendent talent/producer or a national champion or some kind of preposterous human interest story (e.g., war hero, one-armed man, Nobel Prize winner) merits cracking into that elite group.

I'm not sure either is jersey-retirement material, but Etan set the school record for blocks his sophomore year, didn't he? "Decent" kind of undersells it.

Love Hart, but you kind of described his career path here: mess to decent to...well, decent.

He was mainly a shot blocker his Soph year. He became a good rebounder and scorer after.

Hart was good all 4 years. The SGs he played with didn't help him much either.

He was mainly a shot blocker his Soph year. He became a good rebounder and scorer after.

Hart was good all 4 years. The SGs he played with didn't help him much either.

Agree generally about Etan.

Hart, I don't know. His shooting guards (like his teammates in general) were limited, Cipolla and then Janulis and then maybe a young Griffin, IIRC. He really struggled offensively for a lot of his career, though. Especially as a freshman.

KId Kohls and Denny DuVal from that era were great players, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom