gmac | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

gmac

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty obvious Red is the guy if we keep it in house.
Outside noise can try and make GMac happen but he isn’t the guy.
GMac has had a hard time getting opportunities to be a HC.
He has wanted some jobs and the Interest hasn’t been there from the other side.
Well, the last one wanted Gerry but they wouldn't wait for the Syracuse season to end. As ridiculous as that is.

As most on this board know i have been critical of Gmac relative to his recruiting. Based on watching the Devo pod cast i reached out to a two friends who are very close to the program to get their take on him. In short both of them are hoping that he is named coach when JB decides to step down. I'm not close to the program and have only had two conversations with Gmac one which wasnt the best. At this point i have to say that i judged the book based on a very limited exposure and i couldnt have been more off base on my take on him. If you have not listened to the Devo pod cast you should. His passion for Basketball and his love of Syracuse is as strong as any i have seen. He is articulate, knowagable and extremely likeable. For my part no more Gmac put downs or jokes. He is a great representative of SU and i would make an excellent head coach. We are fortunate to have him. Between Red, Gmac and Hop we have three excellent coaches who will honor and carry on our tradition of excellence. I truly hope that one of them is named when Jim retires. Go Cuse!
GMAC shared with me that he thought both of your conversations were horrible. Just kidding. Good that you are open to opinions from others and willing to let your own thoughts not be the only thing to go off of.

For the 1000th freaking time. Hopkins will be the next HC. He is not going to last at UW. And will come back home. He went out on his own got some HC experience and come back here some experience and always had his great recruiting background. Autry will not be the hire nor should he and it won't be gmac. Don't over think this one.

For the 1000th freaking time. Hopkins will be the next HC. He is not going to last at UW. And will come back home. He went out on his own got some HC experience and come back here some experience and always had his great recruiting background. Autry will not be the hire nor should he and it won't be gmac. Don't over think this one.
Well, I guess that settles it!

Go hijack the Boneyard. You would keep them busy for months

While I understand the arguement for a national search, there is a lot to be said for understanding what we have.

JB is as good as there is at understanding the strengths and weaknesses of players and in this case, those of his asisstants. I would wager he could also tell you a lot about coaches outside of the program who might be viable candidates.

Bottom line is if he has confidence that one of his assistants is qualified to be head coach, I could buy into that.

Remember that JB is Syracuse Basketball. He would be the last one to reccomend someone who he feels couldn't get the job done after he leaves.

Thanks, John.

Of course. Plus, he has a job title superior to G-Mac. What would be the reason to hire G-Mac over Red?
I’m not saying Gmac should be hired over Red, but experience alone doesn’t qualify you automatically to be the next man up.

I’m not saying Gmac should be hired over Red, but experience alone doesn’t qualify you automatically to be the next man up.

ok, so why is Red AHC and not GMac then?

If GMac is the next in line, he’d be the AHC.

Currently Autry's title is associate head coach. Gerry's title is assistant coach.

Scheyer was associate head coach and got the job.

Davis wasn't associate head coach, but UNC also didn't have one. Williams just had assistants.

So...

Wonder why they didn’t hire amaker? Was an assistant at Duke for 10 years, went off to be a head coach which seems to be the desire here and has been a head coach for 20 years. He’s more qualified than Scheyer who’s only been at Duke with no head coach experience.

I didn’t say he was next in line. I said experience doesn’t automatically make you the next head coach.

Wonder why they didn’t hire amaker? Was an assistant at Duke for 10 years, went off to be a head coach which seems to be the desire here and has been a head coach for 20 years. He’s more qualified than Scheyer who’s only been at Duke with no head coach experience.

Maybe Amaker said no.

He might be happy where he is, and doesn’t want to be the man who has to follow THE MAN.

Or - he’s going to be like Roy Williams was for UNC, and come to the rescue when the first guy after the legend doesn’t pan out.

I didn’t say he was next in line. I said experience doesn’t automatically make you the next head coach.

So, it’s like if Biden decides to step down.

Kamala is next in line, by virtue of title and position.

But nope!
We’re gonna have Mayor Pete be the next Prez, because he’s spunky and personable.

So, we want a guy fired from UW. Personally, if he doesn’t Jeff Gillooly Boeheim and take the job by September, I think we should be done with Hopkins and move on.

So, it’s like if Biden decides to step down.

Kamala is next in line, by virtue of title and position.

But nope!
We’re gonna have Mayor Pete be the next Prez, because he’s spunky and personable.
Comparing apple to sea urchins, sunshine. Unless, of course, you can show us where in the SU charter and by-laws that the order of succession for basketball coaches is mandated, then I will concede your ill advised and uninformed position.

not a knock on red at all who deserves to be AHC. But sometimes that title is given solely to justify more money for that person. Titles don’t always mean a lot. Bernie was AHC. If something had happened to JB or he retired back then, so you think Bernie would have become HC? I don’t.

Probably because Maker has proven himself at the big job level to be a mediocre head coach.

not a knock on red at all who deserves to be AHC. But sometimes that title is given solely to justify more money for that person. Titles don’t always mean a lot. Bernie was AHC. If something had happened to JB or he retired back then, so you think Bernie would have become HC? I don’t.

Bernie was technically the interim coach for the 3 games JB missed for prostate cancer. But I get your overall point.

Bernie was technically the interim coach for the 3 games JB missed for prostate cancer. But I get your overall point.
And because he did such a bad job, JB came back earlier than he should have. Bernie was totally out of his element and it showed.

It’s pretty obvious Red is the guy if we keep it in house.
Outside noise can try and make GMac happen but he isn’t the guy.
GMac has had a hard time getting opportunities to be a HC.
He has wanted some jobs and the Interest hasn’t been there from the other side.
LOL! You need some new “ insiders “ my friend. Or did you just make this up?

And because he did such a bad job, JB came back earlier than he should have. Bernie was totally out of his element and it showed.
I will not argue those 3 games were not fun.

LOL! You need some new “ insiders “ my friend. Or did you just make this up?
Yeah because it’s not true GMac wanted the Siena job. Used every contact he had and Siena told him they weren’t interested.
Okay.
My god you have no clue and Dasher will tell you the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom