goldsberry on waiters and carter williams | Syracusefan.com

goldsberry on waiters and carter williams

Good question...however, people need to stop the bandwagon idea that Dion is not a good defender. The reason he gets the playing time he does is for his defense.

Good question...however, people need to stop the bandwagon idea that Dion is not a good defender. The reason he gets the playing time he does is for his defense.
if mcnamara was just some random guy that boeheim hired, we'd be asking if he knows how to teach at all

Zach Lowe has been killing him for his defense. I don't say I watch enough to determine if he's good or not, but Zach is a real smart dude

Seeing that chart makes me yearn to have seen what a Waiters-MCW backcourt pairing would have looked like in Orange. I don't think they ever had minutes together. Lost opportunity.

Zach Lowe has been killing him for his defense. I don't say I watch enough to determine if he's good or not, but Zach is a real smart dude
Unless he's just awful whenever I don't watch the Thunder, everytime i've seen him play he's a legit defender. I don't think the Thunder would put Waiters on Harden for most of the game if he was sooooo bad.

Unless he's just awful whenever I don't watch the Thunder, everytime i've seen him play he's a legit defender. I don't think the Thunder would put Waiters on Harden for most of the game if he was sooooo bad.
well the thunder let harden go in the first place so it's possible they don't know what they're doing

relative to his first two seasons, he is playing better defense. but it is far from good.

Like I said, I don't watch them day in and day out, but Harden did go for 41 on 12/21 last time they played, and 31 on 9/15 the the time before that.

Like I said, I don't watch them day in and day out, but Harden did go for 41 on 12/21 last time they played, and 31 on 9/15 the the time before that.
This is true but Westbrook had him for the time Dion didn't and the Rockets just run constant pick n roll with Harden so there was a decent amount of time that random Thunder player like Singler who gave up 2-3's in a row had to pick up Harden.

if mcnamara was just some random guy that boeheim hired, we'd be asking if he knows how to teach at all

You can't teach shooting at this level. You could maybe make a tweak in mechanics here or there, but the influence would be no more than maybe a percent or two. The only time any coach would be able to significantly improve a player's shooting is if the player just started playing basketball and didn't have the muscle memory built up. This isn't the case with the guards we recruit, or any position other than Center, typically.

Idk who gave you the idea that a shooting coach would or could make a big difference.

You can't teach shooting at this level. You could maybe make a tweak in mechanics here or there, but the influence would be no more than maybe a percent or two. The only time any coach would be able to significantly improve a player's shooting is if the player just started playing basketball and didn't have the muscle memory built up. This isn't the case with the guards we recruit, or any position other than Center, typically.

Idk who gave you the idea that a shooting coach would or could make a big difference.
if mcnamara can't teach shooting, why is he there?

If you want to knock our guards' shooting ability knock the recruiting. There's no sense in attempting to blame coaching.

Duke doesn't teach guys how to shoot. They recruit guys who can shoot.

If you want to knock our guards' shooting ability knock the recruiting. There's no sense in attempting to blame coaching.

Duke doesn't teach guys how to shoot. They recruit guys who can shoot.
Wasn't Cooney supposed to be a decent shooter?

Wasn't Cooney supposed to be a decent shooter?

Yes and he's shown good ability when he isn't forced to put up bad shots and a high volume of shots due to a lack of offensive threats. He was a good shooter in high school but never elite.

Yes and he's shown good ability when he isn't forced to put up bad shots and a high volume of shots due to a lack of offensive threats. He was a good shooter in high school but never elite.
ehh

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203897404578076793880988504

to which part?
I just don't think he's that good of a shooter. He's streaky and streaky bad more often than not. His wide open looks towards the end of the season were not even close. I get that he was overused and tired but imo, he's done nothing for me to think he's a good shooter. I'll concede some of that is how JB's used him but maybe that's part of the problem..

Remember when MCW won the skills competition at the McDonald's All American game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom