Gonzaga to the Big East? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga to the Big East?

The Big East can really screw up their conference and damage what they have going.
Letting a big state school (UConn) back in with bigger resources than all the other small private schools made no sense. You would think they would have learned that lesson in the past.
Probably the irrelevance of their football team really helped. UConn may have told them they were moving football down to FCS like Nova, Georgetown… I do wonder if down the line the Big East might regret it for the state resource reason you mention.

UCONN going back into the BigEast has really fired that conference up. I'm not a UCONN fn, but that is plain to see.

So much for the Catholic-only schools conference, sounds like the Mormons are coming with...

edit correction: BYU is going to the Big 12...

Gonna need a bit more than this dude...

Dayton would make a lot of sense. Catholic, no high level football, really good fan base.
That would help them keep Anthony Grant.

Last edited:
Curious about the other two programs.

Would they be from out West? LMU? USF? Univ. of San Diego. All are Catholic colleges. -- If they do this right, could be sort of like when the Dodgers and Giants moved to California in the late 50s.

St. Louis Univ.? (another Catholic school, they've had some moderate success through the years)
Univ. of Richmond fits the BE profile pretty well, a smidge more than VCU, which is a state school.

Much less likely: Duquesne, Univ. of Detroit (both Catholic Schools), Davidson (if they wanted to push a bit further south)
Santa Clara is another Catholic school out west.

UMass and St Louis aren’t going to big East.

They will take Gonzaga and maybe 2 others ( byu? St Mary’s? )

I mean, with that addition, the definition of “East” would be big.
East of the Pacific. It works even better when the bring in Cambridge and University of Paris.

Seems ludicrous, but Omaha Nebraska and Chicago Illinois is BigEast territory already. Add St Louis with Gonzaga, and call it a day? Still crazy imo.

Seems ludicrous, but Omaha Nebraska and Chicago Illinois is BigEast territory already. Add St Louis with Gonzaga, and call it a day? Still crazy imo.
Why not add the univ of Hawaii for kicks and giggles.

Dayton and Grand Canyon University are the other 2. Big east will have a west division and an east.
Wish we could go back. Ah football

Last edited:
Dayton and Grand Canyon University are the other 2. Big east will have a west division and an east.
Wish we could go back. Ah football...
They want to have 7 teams in the East and 7 teams in the West.

It’s not the big east and never will be again. Not without Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

It’s the Catholic Schools Athletic Conference.
and secular Butler

They want to have 7 teams in the East and 7 teams in the West.
Wonder if they’d take San Francisco? There’s also Loyola of Chicago.

Wonder if they’d take San Francisco? There’s also Loyola of Chicago.
They want to make 2, 7 team divisions to cut down on travel. Play every team in your division twice and the other division once. The east is the old Big East teams plus one more (UMASS?) is a tight geographic area and the west is the midwest teams with Gonzaga being an an outlier, but not too bad for them. They already have Depaul in Chicago so I don't think they want another team there.

Last edited:
The Big East would have to double in size to have it make sense.

Either:

Providence, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St Johns, UConn, Villanova
Butler, Dayton, DePaul, Marquette, St Louis, Xavier
Creighton, Denver, Gonzaga, Loyola Marymount, San Francisco, St Marys

or

Providence, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St Johns, UConn, Villanova
Butler, Davidson, Dayton, Murray State, VCU, Xavier
Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Northern Iowa (or move Denver here), St Louis, Wichita State
Denver, Gonzaga, Loyola Marymount, San Francisco, St Marys, either Weber State and/or San Diego ("and" if you don't take Northern Iowa)

The 2nd option limits travel and is more ideal. Gonzaga would be playing the Northeast schools once every three years (2 trips year one, 2 trips year 2, 2 trips year 3).

You kill off the WCC and take important pieces from the A10

Last edited:
Stonehill just jumped up to D1...maybe THEY ARE GOING TO THE BIG EAST (CATHOLIC SCHOOL).

You need the coveted Hockomock League covered in the big east.

Stonehill just jumped up to D1...maybe THEY ARE GOING TO THE BIG EAST (CATHOLIC SCHOOL).

You need the coveted Hockomock League covered in the big east.
Hey! I'm an alum of a Hockomock League school! Let's go, Foxboro Warriors!

Seriously, why does this thread exist? From a rando post on a message board, and a rando tweet?

Seriously, why does this thread exist? From a rando post on a message board, and a rando tweet?
Because all the GOR's and media deals are expiring, except ACC's, which is going to greatly change things.

Foxboro Warriors have the football program to play in the Big East some years! Jack Martinelli was the Don Nehlen of hockomock lore :cool:

Foxboro Warriors have the football program to play in the Big East some years! Jack Martinelli was the Don Nehlen of hockomock lore :cool:
Wow, never thought I'd see a Jack Martinelli reference on this board. He was my gym teacher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom