Good game... | Syracusefan.com

Good game...

RRRUUU

Walk On
It was a hard fought game that had two very good defenses playing in it. I thought we missed some big plays on O but our special teams made up for it.

Flood seems to make solid halftime adjustments every game as we have outscored our opponents like 40-3 in the third Q this year...

Hope those of you that made it to the game had a good time other then the result. It was a great day for tailgating.

Your defense against the pass has issues. Your special teams will slowly deteriorate. Enjoy.

Your defense against the pass has issues. Your special teams will slowly deteriorate. Enjoy.

Need to tighten up the secondary. Some young guys who are learning at safety. For example on your late TD in the fourth Q, Waters tried to jump the route instead of just making the tackle. They are getting better but not playing at the level the front seven are yet. Our front seven are playing lights out.

Not sure why our special teams will "slowly deteriorate" as they are always a focal point of our team..

Need to tighten up the secondary. Some young guys who are learning at safety. For example on your late TD in the fourth Q, Waters tried to jump the route instead of just making the tackle. They are getting better but not playing at the level the front seven are yet. Our front seven are playing lights out.

Not sure why our special teams will "slowly deteriorate" as they are always a focal point of our team..

Your special teams make up for your offense quite a bit. My guess is the play in that phase will slowly lose it's effectiveness. Right now the effectiveness is outstanding. That and the fact that Rutgers rarely commits turnovers. Good luck.

Floods half time adjustment? Block fg attempt and return it for a touchdown.

Our two offensive opportunities in the thrid Q resulted in an 11 play 50 yard drive that ended with a FG and a 6 play 65 yard drive that resulted in a TD...

Our two offensive opportunities in the thrid Q resulted in an 11 play 50 yard drive that ended with a FG and a 6 play 65 yard drive that resulted in a TD...

I think you watched a different game than the rest of us. A fumble by our QB at midfield led to a FG and your TD was off a blocked FG.

Your TD in the beginning of the 4th was a 3 play, 14 yard drive off a fumbled punt return.

Floods half time adjustment? Block fg attempt and return it for a touchdown.

Yeah, that's comical.

The only adjustment was our team deciding to self-destruct again. Rutgers had one sustained drive, their 2nd possession of the game, 97 yards, that's it. All of their scores in the 2nd half came off our miscues. I guess you can give them credit for capitalizing on all of our self-inflicted blunders, as generally, that is a sign of a good team.

We moved the ball routinely in the 2nd half between the 20's and then just became inept again. You could argue RU (as an RU fan) that they bent but didn't break, however, our inability to punch it in in the red zone is a common repeated pattern...along with the turnovers and mistakes. We couldn't do it against Stony Brook on two occasions with 1st & goal...still the same results now four weeks later...Oh Lord

It was a hard fought game that had two very good defenses playing in it. I thought we missed some big plays on O but our special teams made up for it.

Flood seems to make solid halftime adjustments every game as we have outscored our opponents like 40-3 in the third Q this year...

Hope those of you that made it to the game had a good time other then the result. It was a great day for tailgating.
Congrats on the win, but the only good thing about the game yesterday is that it's the last time we'll play you for the foreseeable future. We gave another game to you, so "you're welcome". However, we're done playing you in the Big East and don't think we'll be in the same league with you again. Farewell...

I think you watched a different game than the rest of us. A fumble by our QB at midfield led to a FG and your TD was off a blocked FG.

Your TD in the beginning of the 4th was a 3 play, 14 yard drive off a fumbled punt return.

Now why did you have to let the facts get in the way? ;) Those half-time adjustments were simply uncanny. :crazy:

RU, question. Do you honestly think the "fumble" on the punt return was really a fumble?

Your right, the second TD was a three play(not six) drive. We also spend a lot of time coaching special teams as well.

Now why did you have to let the facts get in the way? ;) Those half-time adjustments were simply uncanny. :crazy:

What do you think of Marrones lack of adjustments to allow the same player to shoot the same gap and block another FG?

Your right, the second TD was a three play(not six) drive. We also spend a lot of time coaching special teams as well.

The difference is not just the emphasis on coaching ST. You play your best players on specials as seen in Greene knocking the ball free to set up that TD. It's a novel concept that our coaches just don't get. Good luck going forward.

The difference is not just the emphasis on coaching ST. You play your best players on specials as seen in Greene knocking the ball free to set up that TD. It's a novel concept that our coaches just don't get. Good luck going forward.

Agree. We have always put our playmakers on specials. Makes a big difference. We also spend a lot of time practicing specials though and the coaches/players spend a lot of time in the film rooms looking for areas to exploit.

Good luck to you the rest of the way...

RU, question. Do you honestly think the "fumble" on the punt return was really a fumble?

It was ruled a fumble on the field. When I saw the review on the video board it looked like he may have been down first but I don't know if it was definitive enough to overrule the call on the field...

Congrats on the win, but the only good thing about the game yesterday is that it's the last time we'll play you for the foreseeable future. We gave another game to you, so "you're welcome". However, we're done playing you in the Big East and don't think we'll be in the same league with you again. Farewell...

We were a dropped Mark Harrison pass away from pulling ahead 30-7 in the fourth quarter so I'm not sure you "gave us another game".

Who knows if or when we will play again. Good luck.

It was ruled a fumble on the field. When I saw the review on the video board it looked like he may have been down first but I don't know if it was definitive enough to overrule the call on the field...

I'm not being a homer but watching on TV the same replays the officials had, his entire forearm was on the ground while the ball was secure in his arm. Then the ball was ripped out. That was a big ruling or lack of ruling, led to a short field for you guys and a score you didn't deserve. The last part is me being a homer.

It just seemed that every 50/50 call seemed to favor you guys. Every time they went to review it, the call on the field favored Rutgers. The PR fumble was the clearest one to me where he was down, the play was over, and then Greene pulls it away from him. I don't blame him if the refs were allowing it, but I just thought that was a brutal and very important call..

Unfortunately the kids on the field and the fans of Orange are getting used to it...next year the playing field should be level again.

We were a dropped Mark Harrison pass away from pulling ahead 30-7 in the fourth quarter so I'm not sure you "gave us another game".

Congrats on the win. This statement is silly. We were a blocked fg return for a TD from grabbing the lead, or a missed Sales bomb along the slideline, or a dropped TD by Lemon, or an iffy fumble call away on a punt that gave you the ball deep in our territory...we didn't give you the game but we sure as hell made it a lot easier for you.

What do you think of Marrones lack of adjustments to allow the same player to shoot the same gap and block another FG?

Yes, an obvious breakdown that should not have happened if our guy(s) did their jobs. Blocked field goals are not (statiscally) a common variety thing, especially on a relative chip shot of 30 yards or so. It's generally a fundamental breakdown of the kicking team's.

That being said, and in all due respect, you're the one that stated and praised Flood's solid half-time adjustments. So, please enlighten us all on what adjustments Flood specifically made that altered the game in your favor.

I think it's fair overall to say that the final score is more a result of SU's poor execution and self-induced mistakes than Rutgers' play. That's not to say, though, that yours is not a very solid football team that played well and executed its gameplan. Some of SU's mistakes can be attributed to Rutgers' play. There are some obvious weaknesses but Rutgers is a good team with excellent defense, special teams and discipline, which seem to have become hallmarks. Players are generally big and athletic. Good luck the rest of the way this season and beyond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom