Goodine and Guerrier | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Goodine and Guerrier

Too bad Carey isn’t a 6-7 SF.
More effective there than Buddy. We’ve put ourselves in this hole, no sense in digging it deeper.

the only other depth is Quincy and Braswell. Who knows when Braswell will be serviceable.

Carmelo Anthony
Gerry McNamara
Eric Devendorf
Jonny Flynn
Tyler Ennis
Tyler Lydon
Malachi Richardson
Tyus Battle
Oshae Brissett

Never.
It’s a bit unfair to include 4 (5?) McD’s AA’s/top 25 guys in this list and another couple of top 50 guys. I’d say Lydon exceeded initial expectations considerably and Oshae proved capable enough, though really wasn’t very good.

It’s a bit unfair to include 4 (5?) McD’s AA’s/top 25 guys in this list and another couple of top 50 guys. I’d say Lydon exceeded initial expectations considerably and Oshae proved capable enough, though really wasn’t very good.

Oshae had a Top 5 ALL TIME best Frosh season of points and boards in Syracuse history.
Along with names like Melo, DC, Owens.

Yeah, he wasn’t very efficient, and missed more bunnies than Elmer Fudd, but “really wasn’t very good”?
Please. :rolleyes:

He was OK...(the commercial)

Why is it unfair? We’ve had plenty of Burger Boys who barely even played as freshman.

Oshae had a Top 5 ALL TIME best Frosh season of points and boards in Syracuse history.

Yeah, he wasn’t very efficient, and missed more bunnies than Elmer Fudd, but “really wasn’t very good”?
Oshae was a compiler with some good games. Overall, other than rebounding, he was not very good. I’m hardly going out on a limb there...

Why is it unfair? We’ve had plenty of Burger Boys who barely even played as freshman.
Aren’t some of the best HS recruits in the country supposed to be quality players as freshmen? Yeah, we’ve seen the opposite but it can hardly be surprising when guys like Melo and Jonny Flynn were very good freshmen, right?

Oshae was a compiler with some good games. Overall, other than rebounding, he was not very good. I’m hardly going out on a limb there...
Oshae drove me crazy at times, but really more in his sophomore season (when his 3-pt shooting, his FT shooting, and his rebounding all declined). As far as I'm concerned, he had a pretty good freshman season.

I'm just happy I don't have to scream at the TV anymore when Oshae was inbounding the ball after an opponent's made basket. His refusal to run the baseline in an effort to get a better angle on an inbounds pass drove me nuts. And the staff's inability to teach him that, by rule, he was allowed to run the baseline (I'm assuming he just didn't know) drove me even crazier. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I feel better now.

Aren’t some of the best HS recruits in the country supposed to be quality players as freshmen? Yeah, we’ve seen the opposite but it can hardly be surprising when guys like Melo and Jonny Flynn were very good freshmen, right?
I know you read the original post I responded to because you liked it. Am I misinterpreting “every year” or “never” or both?

Be almost impossible to do worse as a 6'8 ACC player being forced to play 37mpg because there were no alternatives and only 2 other guys that could shoot.

And Since? Please take that nonsense somewhere else. He's underperformed and you know it. Btw we lost in a blowout and he turned it over alot in that game. When's the last time he had a real boxscore. I'm waiting.

I don't think he was defending Carey... Jalen has obviously been well beyond bad. I think he was just pointing out that you cant really compare Goodine to Jalen cause Goodine has done nothing. Carey atleast flashed a tiny bit of potential in a game against a decent opponent.

Not really a vote of confidence rather than a look at just how bad our recruiting has been.

Hoping Goodine can eventually turn into a Michael Gbinje type guy for us... similar type guards and Gbinje struggled at duke as a freshman as well.

Oh i meant transfer, jeez I need coffee
You never know, could be both a redshirt and a transfer. Moyer sat out a season on a medical, played one, transferred, and received a waiver to play immediately. Carey could do the same, medical RS this season, transfer, and seek a waiver.

The offseason will have some interesting turns, I'm sure. as there typically are.

My worst fear for quincy is he has a case of the goofies for 2 and a half years before he starts to get it.
Goofy ball is a strange thing for guys who like to run hard. Some end up being fab melo, James Southerland, MCW, Others end up like a paul harris/Chukwu. Others end up being like sean williams, ron patterson, kaleb Joseph, Dashonte riley.

For the first 10 games quincy has shown he can always get a soft prayer up when hit on the wrist, but when someone slaps ball instead, it's a turnover or out of bounce always. It's extremely perplexing. He is not ready for one handed rebounds or receiving one handed entry passes yet. Although I am probably wrong, from tv he seems like one of those guys that might develop vice-grip death hands that first team all conference players dream of.

Imo Goodine should redshirt if Howard will be healthy the rest of the year. He's not jumping from 2 ppg to 7 in acc play without knocking down a three and a half a game. Washington has a better shot atm. Only reason not to redshirt Goodine is he's our only true in your face guard defender at the moment.

Not an option after Carey’s redshirt. Howard has a bum knee dude is the only other option.

Guys improve during the course of the year it might happen with him he’s being asked very little of. Just hard to be optimistic when you show up and are totally unplayable.

How many guards have we had of late who were terrible as freshman and became quality starters? Think there's a longer list of ones that ended up leaving than becoming high level contributors.
Define “of late.” Frank Howard immediately comes to mind. Rautins, Jardine, Waiters (not a starter, but arguably the best sixth man in the country at the time), MCW, and Cooney.

I wouldn’t come down too hard on Goodine at this point. He’s adjusting. He’ll be fine with time.
As for Goodine:
1. He doesn't seem to have any of the skills needed to play PG.
2. He has regressed a lot since the 2 exhibition games. So whatever they're trying to mold him into isn't working.
I’m hopeful that Goodine can start to figure things out like Buddy did last season. JB on Goodine after the Niagara game:
“Brycen is still a work in progress. We gotta try to get him better. I’m disappointed. He got in the open court and couldn’t finish – things I know he can do. His defense was good. He made some good defensive plays down there. But, you know, he’s better than this. We just gotta keep working with him, try to get him better.”

Define “of late.” Frank Howard immediately comes to mind. Rautins, Jardine, Waiters (not a starter, but arguably the best sixth man in the country at the time), MCW, and Cooney.

Frank Howard was terrible as a freshman? That's funny because all I heard about him as a freshman was that he had elite vision and was MCW with a jumper.

Waiters and MCW were terrible as freshman? Get out of here.

Cooney wasn't bad as a freshman, he was the same player as when he left.

Frank Howard was terrible as a freshman? That's funny because all I heard about him as a freshman was that he had elite vision and was MCW with a jumper.

Waiters and MCW were terrible as freshman? Get out of here.

Cooney wasn't bad as a freshman, he was the same player as when he left.
Your selective memory is fascinating.

Be almost impossible to do worse as a 6'8 ACC player being forced to play 37mpg because there were no alternatives and only 2 other guys that could shoot.

Yeah, he really benefited from being given all the minutes he could handle (and then some).

You actually shorted him, he played 38.1 MPG as a freshmen! (His minutes % was 7th in the country, though only third on the team). He shot 35.4% from the field, which almost feels like a misprint, until you remember watching him play. He shot 36.6% from two as a freshmen, which considering his size, really does feel like a misprint. The only thing that saved him that year was he did draw a ton of fouls, and shot 79% from the line.

But really, 36% on 2 pointers? How is that possible?

If you combine his 2 point shooting (44.5%) from his soph year with his 3 point (33.1%) and FT (78.7%) from his freshmen year, you'd have something reasonable. Assuming he took the same number of attempts of all 3 as he did in his 2 years, if you do that (I'm being told you can't in fact do that), you get a career Effective FG% of 46.3% (actual 42.2%) and career True shooting of 55.6% (actual 48.4)

Carey will have to compete with Girard, Richmond and Goodine.

Richmond is better at what Carey does.
Most of these incoming freshman never pan out in their first year and end up planted on the bench except for a select few. We fall into the trap that these freshmen are spectacular and it never turns out to be true. I hope you're correct about Richmond but don't bet on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom