Goodine and Guerrier | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Goodine and Guerrier

Yeah, he really benefited from being given all the minutes he could handle (and then some).

You actually shorted him, he played 38.1 MPG as a freshmen! (His minutes % was 7th in the country, though only third on the team). He shot 35.4% from the field, which almost feels like a misprint, until you remember watching him play. He shot 36.6% from two as a freshmen, which considering his size, really does feel like a misprint. The only thing that saved him that year was he did draw a ton of fouls, and shot 79% from the line.

But really, 36% on 2 pointers? How is that possible?

If you combine his 2 point shooting (44.5%) from his soph year with his 3 point (33.1%) and FT (78.7%) from his freshmen year, you'd have something reasonable. Assuming he took the same number of attempts of all 3 as he did in his 2 years, if you do that (I'm being told you can't in fact do that), you get a career Effective FG% of 46.3% (actual 42.2%) and career True shooting of 55.6% (actual 48.4)
Oshae's freshman year shooting stats - specifically his 36.6% shooting on 2-pt attempts - really were insane.

But I take issue with the comment (not by you, someone earlier made it) that said, "Be almost impossible to do worse as a 6'8 ACC player being forced to play 37mpg because there were no alternatives". Imagine no Oshae, and Matt Moyer playing 38 minutes per game for the 2017-18 team... no way do we make the tourney and advance to the Sweet 16 in that alternative universe. Or imagine Quincy in place of Oshae. Could Quincy stop fouling long enough to even play 38 minutes per game?

Oshae had a good freshman year - it was his regression in year 2 that was problematic.

Oshae's freshman year shooting stats - specifically his 36.6% shooting on 2-pt attempts - really were insane.

But I take issue with the comment (not by you, someone earlier made it) that said, "Be almost impossible to do worse as a 6'8 ACC player being forced to play 37mpg because there were no alternatives". Imagine no Oshae, and Matt Moyer playing 38 minutes per game for the 2017-18 team... no way do we make the tourney and advance to the Sweet 16 in that alternative universe. Or imagine Quincy in place of Oshae. Could Quincy stop fouling long enough to even play 38 minutes per game?

Oshae had a good freshman year - it was his regression in year 2 that was problematic.

There's definitely something to be said for that, there's a level you need to be over to even be able to play that many minutes per game at that level (like you said, Moyer playing that many minutes would've been ugly) but I don't think i can look at a guy with those shooting numbers and say he was good. One nice thing I just noticed, he had 69 turnovers both years here; aside from the joke, it is a feather in his cap he was able to use as many possessions as he did with a relatively low turnover rate. But I just can't get past those shooting numbers.

There's definitely something to be said for that, there's a level you need to be over to even be able to play that many minutes per game at that level (like you said, Moyer playing that many minutes would've been ugly) but I don't think i can look at a guy with those shooting numbers and say he was good. One nice thing I just noticed, he had 69 turnovers both years here; aside from the joke, it is a feather in his cap he was able to use as many possessions as he did with a relatively low turnover rate. But I just can't get past those shooting numbers.
Fair enough, I don’t think we’re far apart in our thoughts on his SU career. And good comment on his low turnover rate - Oshae’s ability to get to the FT line (and shoot well there) and minimize turnovers were part of what made him playable. Ken Pomeroy had him with an ORtg of 103.0 his freshman year (before falling to 97.3 his sophomore season).

Fair enough, I don’t think we’re far apart in our thoughts on his SU career. And good comment on his low turnover rate - Oshae’s ability to get to the FT line (and shoot well there) and minimize turnovers were part of what made him playable. Ken Pomeroy had him with an ORtg of 103.0 his freshman year (before falling to 97.3 his sophomore season).

I really didn't notice the turnover thing until looking over the stats again today, it's definitely a point in his favor, and if you think about it, it's kind of amazing a guy with his shooting numbers graded out as above average per offensive rating. Maybe I was a little too hard on him, just because those shooting numbers are just so bad it's almost all you can focus on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom