Goodine starts from day one! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Goodine starts from day one!

Doin waiters with a way better jump shot!!! And great handle!!!

Assuming you mean Dion, I hope Goodine is better than him, but to annoint him at this point is still ridiculous. He is not a Lebron James type talent.

Last edited:
You now what's crazy about Carey?

He scored 40 out of his 87 points (46%!) over two games at MSG.

Next season we're replacing 45ish points ppg from a team that only averaged 70.

I think Carey's going to fill it up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see it go something like this:

Carey - 13ppg
Buddy - 12ppg
Hughes - 16ppg
Guerrier - 12ppg
Marek - 11 ppg

Bench - 20 ppg

Carey will have to improve a lot from the player I saw this year to achieve that, not saying its not possible, but I did not see it or even the making of it. Hope you are right and I am wrong. We dfinitely need someone to step up at the guard position next year.

Assuming you mean Dion, I hope Goodine is better than him, but to annoint him at this point is still ridiculous. He is not a Lebron James type talent.
Yes Dion and he will be here 2 years and then to NBA, I’ve watched him in high school it doesn’t even look like he’s trying. You will be pleasantly surprised.

This “Hughes is a/should be a guard” narrative is one of the weirder ones I’ve seen on here.

I don't understand why it's so weird.
Hughes shot 85 more threes than Frank, and more than 100 more than Tyus or Buddy.
He made the most, and he shot the best percentage.
On offense, he was a lot like a third guard. He even helped bring the ball up once in a while.

He was not really an offensive rebounder, although he did a pretty good job on the defensive boards and blocked a decent number of shots.

You now what's crazy about Carey?

He scored 40 out of his 87 points (46%!) over two games at MSG.

Next season we're replacing 45ish points ppg from a team that only averaged 70.

I think Carey's going to fill it up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see it go something like this:

Carey - 13ppg
Buddy - 12ppg
Hughes - 16ppg
Guerrier - 12ppg
Marek - 11 ppg

Bench - 20 ppg

That would surprise me. Actually that would blow my mind into the abyss.

This “Hughes is a/should be a guard” narrative is one of the weirder ones I’ve seen on here.
eh, not really.

he's a "tweener"...not really imposing enough physically to do work down low...I prefer more size/physicality at the wing than he offers.

he doesn't really have the handles of a guard, though, either.

he's a good player but i'm not really sure if he has an ideal fit in the 2-3 zone as employed by SU...

given last year's tourney predicament of no frank/injured frank + freshman not ready...I would've preferred Hughes at guard and marek and oshae at forwards spots vs Baylor...(hard to argue buddy getting 39 minutes and going 0-6 was better than whatever that wouldve been)...i posted that BEFORE the game..and still think that wouldve been the best chance at a win.

now with goodine, jg3 carey buddy washington in the mix...there's not going to be enough minutes for those 5 let alone hughes there as well...no chance he plays guard but i still think he isn't the ideal fit in the zone defensively...i mean, inserting him into the starting lineup this season was basically the only change...and the defense was worse this year than last despite everyone else returning.

players fitting the system they are in is very important to team success...i dont think people are saying hughes must play gaurd...but given last year's situation it kinda makes sense that it wouldve been an option in the tourney...i just wish that the coaches would try to fit the system more to the players when the roster doesnt fit their ideal.

I think the first season of JB coaching his son was difficult and couldve gone better - there were times when I was shocked at how much playing time buddy got - and the overall team chemistry was also pretty poor.

This upcoming season promises to be even more complex as there are a bunch of combos and options at every position...will be interesting to see how the expectations of the players who do not earn starter spots are managed...and if some of the bench are indeed worse than those who are starting...

I'm actually really surprised that the team has so many options at guard considering that buddy is there and will play a lot...

i'm pretty sure buddy will play big minutes and start from here on out but i'm not convinced that that will actually give the team the best chance of winning...i think JB wants to win one with his son and that's the only reason he is still coaching. pretty sure he will retire the day his son is no longer on the team...hopefully that's with a title.

he's earned it...the chance to win one with his son... though being a player on a team like that might be difficult if that's how it plays out...

will be interesting to see how it plays out....

Last edited:
I don't understand why it's so weird.
Hughes shot 85 more threes than Frank, and more than 100 more than Tyus or Buddy.
He made the most, and he shot the best percentage.
On offense, he was a lot like a third guard. He even helped bring the ball up once in a while.

He was not really an offensive rebounder, although he did a pretty good job on the defensive boards and blocked a decent number of shots.
Maybe they heard JB say he's not a guard and they can't form their own opinion? I'll agree that his handle is not suited for a guard, but then again, we don't have any guards on the roster who can dribble either.

Maybe they heard JB say he's not a guard and they can't form their own opinion? I'll agree that his handle is not suited for a guard, but then again, we don't have any guards on the roster who can dribble either.

We do now

If we have 13 guys there will be plenty of potential combinations. That would make it less likely that players will play out of position, You normally do that to cover up a weakness. I'd expect to see less of Dolezaj at center and it's unlikely that Hughes will play in the backcourt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom