Goodman and Thamel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Goodman and Thamel

Agreed. I'd take it one step further: everyone's draft eligible, but if you matriculate, you stay for all four. Those who like their draft position after their senior year of high school can feel free to sign and forego college altogether.

I think that is a little too much. MLB says 3 years, I could possibly get behind that one.

I think that is a little too much. MLB says 3 years, I could possibly get behind that one.

I never understood how the MLB draft rule was formulated.

Everyone can be drafted after their senior year in High School.
If you attend a 4 year college you aren't eligible to be drafted until after your Junior year, unless you are 21
If you go the JUCO route you are eligible after each year of JUCO.

In theory a baseball player could get drafted as many as 5 times before giving up his eligibility.
Drafted out of High School.
Elect to go to JUCO and get drafted after his 1st year
Go back and get drafted after his second year of JUCO
Then go to a 4 year school and get drafted after his Junior Year
Come back and get drafted after his senior year.

Excellent high school baseball players get drafted by Major League teams all the time and it doesn't affect their NCAA status. Maybe the NCAA should adapt similar rules...
Excellent point. Makes one go ... hmmmm

Baseball has minor league teams, the NBA doesn't.

Just because this stuff is surfacing doesn't mean Nerlens Noel knows or is involved in any of it or that it is true. However it being Kentucky makes me feel that it is true, although it still could be involving people Noel knows and not himslef.
In the end we all know that recruiting against Kentucky is not playing against a level field its uphill all the way. And that is how it should be because who wants SU to go to the length UK and Cal will to recruit kids? Not me. I'm not going to bang on an 18 year old kid for going to UK even if he directly accepts money himself. He's 18 and who knows what type of support system he has in place to make this decision.
In the end its an NCAA issue, since they let these things happen when its seemingly common knowlegde. Just last year this time Davis's Dad got 200K or whatever and look where he is playing . . . .

I've heard the process is more like:

HS bball star has X number of handlers that take care of: having a place to stay, getting on the right AAU team, making sure everyone in the immediate circle of trust are set.

HS bball star then agrees to eventually be represented, in some manner, with an agent. (I know there is no formal signing and this is illegal, but this is actually what happens, from what I've heard)

HS bball star then sets requirements for colleges if he chooses to attend.

Colleges that 1)have worked with agent's previous clients and 2) can meet requirements (both illegal (payments) or legal (I want to start!) or are willing to meet some requirements make pitches.

Finalists are chosen, more negotiating happens, and then final decision is made.

Not saying this is how it goes down with every superstar, but I heard that it's not that uncommon. I might be totally off and will be totally happy if I am, but heard it's usually some semblance of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom