Goodman with JB | Syracusefan.com

Goodman with JB

Thanks for posting this. JB revealed a lot, actually. Looks like right now, Jimmy will be starting cuz Dad emphasized in this interview the importance of experienced/veteran guys and that definitely has been his bias for decades.

He made a comment that indicated Benny's a bit behind at this point, but what freshman isn't? I figure Benny's good for 20-25 minutes per game with the possibility of eventually--in 3-4 months--becoming a major factor in the team's success. He just needs more time to blossom into his full potential.

While he's expressing the appropriate amount of caution, I think JB has high hopes for this team and thinks it has a chance to make it to the Final Four with a few breaks. You can tell he's almost giddy about the team's offensive potential, knows that it's gonna give his guys a chance to beat any team it faces if only the defense can come through when it needs to.

The tea leaves I'm reading say that we may be every bit as good as Andy K has projected us, maybe even better...

At the end of the interview, didn’t JB all but confirm the next coach will be an in-house hire?
Sure sounded like it; obviously his input will go further than any search committee/ AD inquiries, leaving the candidates to 2 (MAYBE 3 if Hop considered) before the "search" even begins. Wonder if K picking Scheyer will give Jim a longer look at GMac than he may have before.

Last edited:
Interesting preview. As JB says, today's game favors perimeter shooting ... hence his crocodile smile over JG3, BB and Cole Swider. Serious firepower ... with at least serviceable inside balance in veterans Jimmy and Sid. Against teams that sell out on the perimeter, driving lanes will open up and Jimmy and Sid are experienced enough to kick it back out or score from 12 feet in (high/low, put-backs, etc).

Defensively, while no one would call this lineup cat-quick, the zone will help make up for the lack of athleticism. Every player but PG is 6-6 and up. Then we have Symir, Benny and Jesse coming off the bench ... all long, athletic and capable defensively. Lots to be excited about.

Those wondering if we're top-25 material will find out soon. After a short run of exhibitions and regional games, the schedule gets brutal. Battle for Atlantis is loaded (Mich-State, Yukon, VCU and Baylor). We come home to face Indiana and then travel to G-T. Other than a roadie at FSU, this might be the first year I look forward to conference play.

Last edited:
Shooting is great unless the shots aren’t falling. You need easy baskets and interior scoring. We heard that we were a great outside shooting team last year and we went games shooting horribly.
I think our height will lead to more mid range shots than people are expecting.

Shooting is great unless the shots aren’t falling. You need easy baskets and interior scoring. We heard that we were a great outside shooting team last year and we went games shooting horribly.
Word is JG looks way better than last year. I think Covid definitely effected both him and Buddy (early on at least)

Last year Marek couldn’t shoot, QG couldn’t shoot (consistently), Kadary couldn’t shoot. Any given time on the floor, especially later in the year when AG was on the bench, only Buddy and Joe (at times) were shooters. This year, we have at least 4 guys who we know can make shots at the D1 level - that’s more than we had last year. Symir shot well in HS so hopefully he can find his stroke again.

An improved Joe and better perimeter threats will open up the offense tremendously. You’re right - we don’t have an inside game (I think Edwards and Jimmy could help here) and we don’t really have a guy that can penetrate and distribute. But, I think we will be a good passing team and a really good shooting team so we will be hard to guard

Last edited:
Rebounds would be swell also

Why?

I tentatively agree with him here at least locker room wise. Given everything social media wise paints a picture of a group of guys that are locked in and engaged off the court as much as hopefully on. So it at least will be better than last year.

Last year sure seemed like the 3 frosh, more specifically the two that left really isolated themselves from the rest of the team. No way did they conduct themselves in a manner they should ever be considered cancers to the team but there was definitely not the sense of a close knit team like it appears we have going in this year..

I know nothing but it's what I see at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom