Gotta love Shaf | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta love Shaf

Yep, he did a very good job this year to hold things together. A bunch of credit needs to be given to the senior class too. Let's see if Shafer can do it going forward. I'm still having a hard time with the full buy-in. Success right off the bat is not unheard of with an assistant stepping up to head coach. We've had our own experience of it. More recently, Bill Stewart, Larry Coker, and Chris Petersen could claim the same. Only Chris Petersen kept things going, though. Hopefully we have our Chris Petersen.

There's big differences though, starting with a first year soph Qb and a very weak wr corp.

I don't really recal Coker or Peterson but pasqualoni took over a team that was stacked and so did Stewart. Coker probably did to.

There's big differences though, starting with a first year soph Qb and a very weak wr corp.

I don't really recal Coker or Peterson but pasqualoni took over a team that was stacked and so did Stewart. Coker probably did to.

Coker took over one of the most talented teams in college football history. Seventeen players on that roster were first round picks. Thirty-seven were drafted all-together.

Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Bryant McKinnie, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Jeremy Shockey, Jonathan Vilma, William Joseph, Willie McGahee... it's an amazing list.

Marrone was the wolf from Pulp Fiction. He came in, cleaned up and left. He was the right man for the job at the right time.

That said...SS is a good fit for this city and school. He isn't perfect by any means and knows he has to keep improving because any coach worth a darn has to do this and he and his staff did a very good job this year, especially after getting behind the 8 ball right from the get go. They bounced back and showed their resiliency and that filtered down throughout the team.

Great pictures Rocco and I can't wait for Feb signing day, If these coaches can close the deal on the commits and maybe add some nice surprises...wow, what momentum we will have going into the 2014 season.

Last edited:
You people are screwed up. Doug wasn't just a coach for Syracuse, he played for the orange under Coach Mac. He is an esteemed alumni and is working in a position at the top of his profession. If you don't think he loves the old 44, you are dead wrong. In fact he cared enough to keep the negotiations private even though it makes him look bad. That's all I got,
Thankyou Mrs. Marrone

Coker took over one of the most talented teams in college football history. Seventeen players on that roster were first round picks. Thirty-seven were drafted all-together.

Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Bryant McKinnie, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Jeremy Shockey, Jonathan Vilma, William Joseph, Willie McGahee... it's an amazing list.

Precisely. Shafer inherited essentially a .500 ball club with major holes/weaknesses and gutted out 6 wins to get to a bowl.

I have to give them three years, and he has to build on this season but the team could of folded more than once this season and didn't. Biggest coaching improvement award though may go to Macdonald, he stopped trying to force the square peg into the round hole with a majorly challenged offense.

Everyone here appreciates what Doug did for the program, but it simply doesn't change the fact that he's pretty much an unlikable a$$h0le. That affects his legacy some in many people's minds.

CousCuse said:
No, just a fellow alumni that deeply appreciates Doug getting us out of the worst era of football in the proud history of Syracuse football.

Everyone here appreciates what Doug did for the program, but it simply doesn't change the fact that he's pretty much an unlikable a$$h0le. That affects his legacy some in many people's minds.
I'm just curious...do you know him personally or are you judging him without knowing him personally? Me? I don't know him but I'm glad he was here and respect his results.

No, I am not a personal acquaintance of Doug Marrone's. But there are many of them who would back up my statement. He thinks VERY highly of himself, doesn't have time for people, is a cutthroat business man, and he's not the most honest guy. To me, that's an .

I'm STILL glad he was our coach because I think he was the right man for the job. I'm also glad he was finally honest about what he wanted and left for the first NFL job that opened up.

alphaorange said:
I'm just curious...do you know him personally or are you judging him without knowing him personally? Me? I don't know him but I'm glad he was here and respect his results.

No, I am not a personal acquaintance of Doug Marrone's. But there are many of them who would back up my statement. He thinks VERY highly of himself, doesn't have time for people, is a cutthroat business man, and he's not the most honest guy. To me, that's an .

I'm STILL glad he was our coach because I think he was the right man for the job. I'm also glad he was finally honest about what he wanted and left for the first NFL job that opened up.

I guess my feeling is if you don't know something or someone first hand, any thing you say just propagate something that could be untrue. At least qualify things by saying it is something that is often written or opined by others.

How is calling a person an a$$hole ever a FACT. Of course it's opinion. And I've based my opinion on a long list of anecdotal evidence. If you don't want to make a decision based on the information you have, that's fine, but I'll stick by my stated OPINION.

alphaorange said:
I guess my feeling is if you don't know something or someone first hand, any thing you say just propagate something that could be untrue. At least qualify things by saying it is something that is often written or opined by others.

I agree with you from a perception standpoint. Can't disagree.

Only thing I will add is I met Doug two times and it had nothing to do with Syracuse football when I did, he is a hell of a nice guy. Really down to earth, nice to talk too. Unfortunate that didn't come out publicly other than his first year or so. I agree when he left here he had turned into what looked like a bitter arsehole, two sides to a story though as well

But there are many of them who would back up my statement. He thinks VERY highly of himself, doesn't have time for people, is a cutthroat business man, and he's not the most honest guy. To me, that's an .

And there are a lot of people who would refute your statement as simply talking out of your @ss. Tell the people who've bumped into him in the grocery store or at a restaurant and ask them if he thinks very highly of himself.

Everyone loves the idea of a disciplinarian until they start to discipline.

Not really sure it's any of your business what another man decides is the best career choice for him and his family.

For liking the idea of being "hardnosed" some people are easily slighted and freakin babies.

Thankyou Mrs. Marrone

No, not Mrs. Marrone. He's just a realist.

Not saying Shafer is the next Lombardi by any means, but just remember, when it's all boiled down... Shafer isn't here if it wasn't for Marrone. I hope Shaf is here for 20 years.

I did know Marrone and he was not any of the above. Cutthroat businessman? Are you kidding me? If offered a promotion, I'm sure you wouldn't take it.

And there are a lot of people who would refute your statement as simply talking out of your @ss. Tell the people who've bumped into him in the grocery store or at a restaurant and ask them if he thinks very highly of himself.

Everyone loves the idea of a disciplinarian until they start to discipline.

Not really sure it's any of your business what another man decides is the best career choice for him and his family.

For liking the idea of being "hardnosed" some people are easily slighted and freakin babies.

No idea what your point is. Like I said, I met the guy twice in a social setting not a freaking grocery store, his family was there as was mine and many others. Guy was nice to talk to, easy going and down to earth. Big difference that running into him at TOPs and getting right in his grill asking him about his recruiting class!!! Or why he didn't go for it on 4th down.

Time and place. Again bumping into a restaurant is public perception not a private setting fwiw. Seems like Rocco has a similar opinion. Like I said, that was my perception just one opinion. Not a huge deal either way

I completely agree. It's all about perception. I'm sure he's a great guy to have as a friend. I'm sure he's a great family man. But I'm basing my opinion from my perspective :).

IthacaBarrel said:
I agree with you from a perception standpoint. Can't disagree. Only thing I will add is I met Doug two times and it had nothing to do with Syracuse football when I did, he is a hell of a nice guy. Really down to earth, nice to talk too. Unfortunate that didn't come out publicly other than his first year or so. I agree when he left here he had turned into what looked like a bitter arsehole, two sides to a story though as well

Like I said to alpha... It's my opinion and it's based on a lot of 2nd hand information. If you have a different opinion, I'm okay with that.

qdawgg said:
And there are a lot of people who would refute your statement as simply talking out of your @ss. Tell the people who've bumped into him in the grocery store or at a restaurant and ask them if he thinks very highly of himself. Everyone loves the idea of a disciplinarian until they start to discipline. Not really sure it's any of your business what another man decides is the best career choice for him and his family. For liking the idea of being "hardnosed" some people are easily slighted and freakin babies.

Rocco, I respect you firsthand knowledge. But I have too many other first hand accounts to just discount my own opinion.

The cutthroat comment had nothing to do with taking the first promotion that came up.

But he's gone. I'm appreciative of what he accomplished. I've moved on. In my original post, I was simply explaining why many fans see two sides to the Marrone story and why he'll never be beloved here by most.

Rocco said:
I did know Marrone and he was not any of the above. Cutthroat businessman? Are you kidding me? If offered a promotion, I'm sure you wouldn't take it.

I've only met Doug once, it was at the Boeheim ball dougs first year. I was part of a group of people that had his ear for about five minutes.

In those five minutes he didn't make a great impression and told one bold face lie.

I don't think he realized that a couple of the people he was talking to had extremely well placed sources on the information he was trying to sell us on.

I always kept that conversation in mind during his tenure - that he will say things purely for his own benefit at times. His departure reiterated that in my mind.

He's a great x and o coach, who up coached the talent here, but he could be a bit disingenuous and self serving.

No idea what your point is. Like I said, I met the guy twice in a social setting not a freaking grocery store, his family was there as was mine and many others. Guy was nice to talk to, easy going and down to earth. Big difference that running into him at TOPs and getting right in his grill asking him about his recruiting class!!! Or why he didn't go for it on 4th down.

Time and place. Again bumping into a restaurant is public perception not a private setting fwiw. Seems like Rocco has a similar opinion. Like I said, that was my perception just one opinion. Not a huge deal either way

I'm not sure what your point is, not being a d1ck. I was quoting someone else and not you. We were essentially saying the same thing at least on some points

I remember reading an article way back in the 80s which detailed one writer's opinion on what types of coaches are best suited to program building tasks. Distilled down, he essentially said that when a program is in the tank, the new coach needs to be a disciplinarian, a guy who makes tough decisions, and oversees change. But shortly after that, programs need a players' coach, a guy who is more of a hands-on teacher and motivator. I think that pretty much sums up both Marrone and Shafer. Both good coaches, two different personalities and styles. I think we got the Marrone hire right, and were fortunate enough to have the next guy right on the staff.
Great post! Spot on. Doug was exactly the type of coach that we needed post Robinson. He was strict but the kids new that he cared for them. His ability to spot diamond in the rough kids was also needed as we were not going to land the blue chip kids at that time
No, not Mrs. Marrone. He's just a realist.

Not saying Shafer is the next Lombardi by any means, but just remember, when it's all boiled down... Shafer isn't here if it wasn't for Marrone. I hope Shaf is here for 20 years.
Agreed but lets also remember that for the first three years Dougs O couldnt find its ass with a flashlight. If not for Shafer and his D Doug may be out of a job

Like I said to alpha... It's my opinion and it's based on a lot of 2nd hand information. If you have a different opinion, I'm okay with that.

Fair enough and I only know what I'm aware of from a few people. I'm willing to admit there is a lot that I'm not aware of and I overreacted. At the end of the day I'm happy Marrone wasn't an epic failure and that Shafer was hired

Whether you like Doug or not, he was the right hire, after Greg, he brought the program back, and was smart enough to hire Scott. By the way look how bad Michigan looked last night against Kansas St. That is another example why Maryland, Rutgers fit right in with a conference going no-where, but down. Delany's legacy is going to be how badly he botched this portion of re-alignment up.

I've only met Doug once, it was at the Boeheim ball dougs first year. I was part of a group of people that had his ear for about five minutes.

In those five minutes he didn't make a great impression and told one bold face lie.

I don't think he realized that a couple of the people he was talking to had extremely well placed sources on the information he was trying to sell us on.

I always kept that conversation in mind during his tenure - that he will say things purely for his own benefit at times. His departure reiterated that in my mind.

He's a great x and o coach, who up coached the talent here, but he could be a bit disingenuous and self serving.
somewhat similar experience that I've shared here before. Knowing one of the asst. coaches as a friend and being a fellow football player with a long history I've bored the board with before I was in his football circle so to speak. I met him several times through this experience/exposure.

Was always great to me in the ways people are describing as a guess a fellow "football guy" in the fraternity so to speak. As soon as they ran that FINE MESS article and I got him to sign it and he realized "football guy" was also "internet message board guy" well to say it all changed would be accurate. In the follow up times running across one another (just a couple) it was cold city. No big whup but indicative of what others are posting here.