Gotta love Shaf | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta love Shaf

Shaf will leave someday as well. Kids are still in school (relatively locally). Based on what he has said in various interviews, I think they want to remain in one spot for a period of time having jumped around prior to SU. Lookout 4 years or so and things can change especially if he has program on roll. I'm prepared, if the NFL come calling and you are a coach, you have to listen.

Yep and when was that deal signed ... in the midst of all this ... he now makes that money because UT came calling and FSU did what they needed to do ... honestly explaining this is getting tiresome. You must not be a sought after commodity if you don't understand how this works ... maybe you should seek a career change.

I run my own business, no worries. And if someone doesn't like what I pay them we have a door they can exit at any time.

And we're talking sports and titles.

I understand your point but think it isn't as general as that. I've spoken with Marrone 3x, Grob 5-6x, P 6-7x and Mac probably a couple dozen times. Those 4 couldn't be any more different. Mac was the fun loving uncle where everything and everyone was beautiful. P was the consummate professional businessman. Grob was the friendly uber optimist no matter how bad things were. Marrone was part paranoid, part hyper sensitive and part pompous ass. Not all will agree but they are my opinions of each from my discussions with each.
I agree with the pompous ass part

I run my own business, no worries. And if someone doesn't like what I pay them we have a door they can exit at any time.

And we're talking sports and titles.

You do realize had Jimbo not received a deal from FSU or UT he would be without a contract after the title game right? So you expect him to just sit and wait for FSU to wake up? I have worked for companies much larger than yours and had a manager literally tell me ... well we are in a freeze for promotions so if you want one come to us with an offer letter and then upper management will counter ... now I know why you begrudge him because you are a business owner, that makes sense.

You do realize had Jimbo not received a deal from FSU or UT he would be without a contract after the title game right? So you expect him to just sit and wait for FSU to wake up? I have worked for companies much larger than yours and had a manager literally tell me ... well we are in a freeze for promotions so if you want one come to us with an offer letter and then upper management will counter ... now I know why you begrudge him because you are a business owner, that makes sense.

I'm basically in Scooch's camp, he's like most anyone else in that profession. He's lucky his contract is up, he can call is number with FSU. Those guys aren't stupid in Tallahassee, they'll pay.

I'll say this about Coach P - I am sure other schools wanted him in the 90s with his success but you never heard of it before going into big bowl games. Watching these games year in and out with the interim coach is a little lame. The NCAA is rather useless, coaches shouldn't be poached while they still have games. If places like Texas want to run off Mack Brown that's what they should have to deal with.

I'm basically in Scooch's camp, he's like most anyone else in that profession. He's lucky his contract is up, he can call is number with FSU. Those guys aren't stupid in Tallahassee, they'll pay.

I'll say this about Coach P - I am sure other schools wanted him in the 90s with his success but you never heard of it before going into big bowl games. Watching these games year in and out with the interim coach is a little lame. The NCAA is rather useless, coaches shouldn't be poached while they still have games. If places like Texas want to run off Mack Brown that's what they should have to deal with.

Yeah ok lets generalize an entire group of people ... apparently you must not agree with bees either ... at least you figured out the issue is the institutions and not the individual ... bravo that took long enough.

Yeah ok lets generalize an entire group of people ... apparently you must not agree with bees either ... at least you figured out the issue is the institutions and not the individual ... bravo that took long enough.

They're college football coaches, not exactly a great cross section of people. They all basically do the same exact thing every single day and it's a profession of climbers and nomads for the most part. Good grief.

How did I get tossed into this love triangle?

How did I get tossed into this love triangle?

Because you stated the same thing I did ... can't decide the character of a person just because they are a coach ... really stupid thing to do.

He could still have said something to the fans without airing "dirty laundry".

And it would've been the unemotional "coachspeak", which gives the fans nothing. CousCuse is partially correct.

And it would've been the unemotional "coachspeak", which gives the fans nothing. CousCuse is partially correct.

It would have been better than nothing.

you-serious-clark-o.gif

I get what you are saying and as fans, yes we would like to know ... but if you air dirty laundry it could damage recruiting severely ... including future recruiting for Shafer. If Marrone came out and said ... the University doesn't give a damn about the football program that wouldn't help with building the program.

I get what you are saying and as fans, yes we would like to know ... but if you air dirty laundry it could damage recruiting severely ... including future recruiting for Shafer. If Marrone came out and said ... the University doesn't give a damn about the football program that wouldn't help with building the program.

We're going around in circles. I haven't said that he should "air dirty laundry". I think there's a middle ground between that and just blandly saying goodbye. And saying nothing doesn't even reach that level of class.

We're going around in circles. I haven't said that he should "air dirty laundry". I think there's a middle ground between that and just blandly saying goodbye. And saying nothing doesn't even reach that level of class.

He might have been applying that age old rule ... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't ... " well you get the idea :)